First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lexus RX350L, Chevrolet Silverado, Lincoln MKC
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I still don't understand the Bronco to Wrangler comparison (hate). Besides mall crawling on 20's, they are not built from the factory for the same type of use. They can handle what 90% of the buyers will throw at them, so from a product placement standpoint, both sell vehicles well.

33" of water crossing for a Squatch is a serious claim in the manual. Not sure I'd have the stones to try it. My rule is to keep it below the door sills in case I get stuck and need to get out with a strap (ie: open the door). This all assumes the doors are on while wheeling. If no doors, I don't even screw with water unless it's clear, shallow, and I can see the bottom. I don't need a mud facial for the next 10 miles.

We, flat-earth Mid-Atlantic folks, are just a different breed. Preferring to sand and beach them, rather than mud bogging and rock crawling. Throw the hunting dog in the back, cross a few farm fields, and hit the duck blind by 5AM, sounds perfect for my Bronco. Each region needs to weigh its vehicle choice with its intended use.

Given the serious outcome of a failed alternator, I'm sure the aftermarket will show up eventually. Jeep has been working out the kinks for 40 years, Ford just stepped into a category it hasn;t been in for several decades. It needs the engineer's experience to catch back up.
Sponsored

Ford Motor Company

First Edition
Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Bronco Sport
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Mine went down before getting to the floorboards. Alternator went out and left me stranded. Iā€™m looking for a fix to prevent a repeating, seems this a known issue from videos Iā€™ve seen. A Jeep and Toyota went with a Bronco and only the Bronco failed because of this. Im looking for something sealed.
Hi there! Will you send us a message with your VIN and your local Ford dealer? I can look into things on my end.

Mattwings

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Mine went down before getting to the floorboards. Alternator went out and left me stranded. Iā€™m looking for a fix to prevent a repeating, seems this a known issue from videos Iā€™ve seen. A Jeep and Toyota went with a Bronco and only the Bronco failed because of this. Im looking for something sealed.
No such thing, Jeep alternators fail on occasion when wet, like everything else. I went with 17 other Broncos (and two jeeps) in and out of water for 12 hrs., up to and past the floorboards, we could hear the waves lapping against the floor. Not a single issue (and a smaller group had done more extreme wheeling the day before).

The next event, a groups was hammering through about 12 inches of water and we had two issues. The Jeep guys I was with talked about the same issues, when people are too aggressive through water.

People will almost always talk about problems, not things working well. It's just human nature.

Ford Bronco Another Blown Alternator! 1671462006124

WhiteTrash

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

No such thing, Jeep alternators fail on occasion when wet, like everything else. I went with 17 other Broncos (and two jeeps) in and out of water for 12 hrs., up to and past the floorboards, we could hear the waves lapping against the floor. Not a single issue (and a smaller group had done more extreme wheeling the day before).

The next event, a groups was hammering through about 12 inches of water and we had two issues. The Jeep guys I was with talked about the same issues, when people are too aggressive through water.

People will almost always talk about problems, not things working well. It's just human nature.

Ford Bronco Another Blown Alternator! 1671462006124
Iā€™m not sure what youā€™re trying to say, but thereā€™s no way Iā€™m going through deep water when hrs from a pathed road after having been stranded. Thanks for the empathy šŸ˜‚

Mattwings

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Iā€™m not sure what youā€™re trying to say, but thereā€™s no way Iā€™m going through deep water when hrs from a pathed road after having been stranded. Thanks for the empathy šŸ˜‚
What I am trying to say is there is not a magic manufacturer or model that wonā€™t fail in some situations and in the case of Bronco alternators, the failures are pretty consistent, smashing through deep water and forcing water into and around a host of electrical equipment, including alternators. Jeeps, Toyotas and all manufacturers will have week points and alternators will fail, given the right situation. Would it be better if the alternator was higher on the engine? Maybe? Does how you drive make a difference? šŸ’Æ The ā€œButtercupā€ videos you mention are a classic example. As soon as I saw the Bronco charging into the water I thought, thatā€™s gonna be a problem! It was a ridiculous scenario and was almost sure to cause a problem.

Sponsored

WhiteTrash

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

What I am trying to say is there is not a magic manufacturer or model that wonā€™t fail in some situations and in the case of Bronco alternators, the failures are pretty consistent, smashing through deep water and forcing water into and around a host of electrical equipment, including alternators. Jeeps, Toyotas and all manufacturers will have week points and alternators will fail, given the right situation. Would it be better if the alternator was higher on the engine? Maybe? Does how you drive make a difference? šŸ’Æ The ā€œButtercupā€ videos you mention are a classic example. As soon as I saw the Bronco charging into the water I thought, thatā€™s gonna be a problem! It was a ridiculous scenario and was almost sure to cause a problem.
What Iā€™m saying is my alternator went out and I want to fix it so it doesnā€™t leave me stranded. Iā€™m bailing from this thread, you guys seem paranoid.

Mattwings

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

What Iā€™m saying is my alternator went out and I want to fix it so it doesnā€™t leave me stranded. Iā€™m bailing from this thread, you guys seem paranoid.
OK, no paranoia, you are just asking for some sort of black magic. Maybe stop hammering through deep water? šŸ˜‚

rtazz17

Banned
Big Bend
Banned
Banned
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford bronco big bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Bronco was not meant to be a jeep. When spending this kind of money you need to research. Jeep is what you want if you are mod to hard trail/rock crawling. Bronco is a family,street vehicle mostly. designed for comfort. Will never be a jeep.

mini4mw

Badlands
First Name
W
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I read on another forum about users purchasing a lifetime warranty alternator and just having it swapped when it goes bad. Just a thought for those not covered under warranty. They also mentioned washing out with clean water and sometimes it comes back but the grime causes shorter lifetime of bearings and rectifier anyway. Seems you could 3d print something to create protection on the face of the alternator.

Have you guys also changed out breather tubes on differentials with extensions to keep water out?

JBlanco

Base
First Name
Julio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco BaseSquatch, 2023 Tesla Y Performance
Your Bronco Model
Base
Maybe OP's problem is user error? Taking it to locations beyond its capabilities...
Haven't heard of a Bronco failing while crawling through a mall's parking lot yet! Just saying...

Sponsored

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I read on another forum about users purchasing a lifetime warranty alternator and just having it swapped when it goes bad. Just a thought for those not covered under warranty. They also mentioned washing out with clean water and sometimes it comes back but the grime causes shorter lifetime of bearings and rectifier anyway. Seems you could 3d print something to create protection on the face of the alternator.

Have you guys also changed out breather tubes on differentials with extensions to keep water out?

Lifetime warranty....there is an idea. It does still leave you stranded but at least you are not having to repurchase this expensive alternator more than once.

IAG was talking about some sort of Alternator shield...maybe aftermarket will come up with something. I doubt it will be easy to install though.

Southern Girl

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1974 Bronco/2023 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

When it rains hard I have to ford some pretty deep water just to get home or go to work. I have never had a single issue. I would guess the puddle wasn't as small as you think it was. How fast were you driving through the water? Slow and steady wins the race.

JBlanco

Base
First Name
Julio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco BaseSquatch, 2023 Tesla Y Performance
Your Bronco Model
Base
When it rains hard I have to ford some pretty deep water just to get home or go to work. I have never had a single issue. I would guess the puddle wasn't as small as you think it was. How fast were you driving through the water? Slow and steady wins the race.
I was going to say you are being ridiculous on a vehicle sold as built for off roading but the manual is very clear on the water fording speed:
Ford Bronco Another Blown Alternator! 1671548850341

stickshifthappy

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger, 65 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands