Blue Oval

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I know there are a ton of threads here on mud flaps. I think I read them all. I chose to post a new thread so this didn’t get buried in one of the existing threads. I have a four door Badlands, with Sasquatch and lux packages headed to my dealer on a train as we speak, I’ll be using my Bronco for wheeling in the sand and snow so I need a flap that is easily removable. Also ease of installation and removal is important and the quality and sturdiness of the flap and mounting hardware is important. After researching the following makes here are my observations:

Gatorbacks $985 (f+r)

The bottom of the flap can be removed for extra clearance when wheeling which is a very cool feature. The installation is more time consuming than some others. The price is prohibitively expensive.

IAG Performance $149 (f+r)

Appears to be the easiest to install and the price is right. Looks good and appears to have good coverage.

RockBlokz xl $399 (f+r)

The initial installation is a little more complicated than some others. The flaps are the easiest to remove with the thumbscrews. However some have said the thumbscrews loosen up over time. Rockblokz also provides bolts that can be used in place of the thumbscrews. The flaps are flexible.

Rekgens xl $233 (f)

Not available for the rear of a Badlands Sasquatch. I emailed Rekgen asking when they would be available for the rear. Got a quick but not particularly helpful response that said, “We should have something in the next few months.” The installation for the front seems not quite as good as some other brands as it uses spacers to align the flaps.

Weathertech $111 (f+r)

These are the least expensive of the brands I researched. They are no drill and installation appears to be easy. As others have stated the is a pretty good gap between the flap and the flair which would seem to allow rocks to get through the gap and hit the body.

Mabett $139 (f+r)

These are the second least expensive of the brands I researched. They are an easy install and look good. However the front flaps appear to be too short to provide good protection on a Sasquatch package. Hopefully Mabett with come out with an xl version.

At this point I’m leaning toward IAG and Rockblokz. Please chime in with you opinions/experience with these flaps. Also please post here if I got anything wrong.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Karl_in_Chicago

Badlands
First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I was intrigued enough by these from Musology reviewed in this forum post that I've added them to my potential shopping list should my ride get built. They are yet another Chinese variation on a similar theme but I like the mounting solution.

SquatchWatcher

Wildtrak
First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Explorer ST
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Love my Rokblokz. Very easy to install. I’ve had no issues, although some have. Like the look better than the others

swooshdave

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Gatorbacks $985 (f+r)

The bottom of the flap can be removed for extra clearance when wheeling which is a very cool feature. The installation is more time consuming than some others. The price is prohibitively expensive.
I believe you meant to say "comically expensive".

Sponsored

AMC Ape

Badlands
First Name
Bronco L
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Badlands, 2021 Hyundai Tucson Ultimate
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I bought the Gatorbacks from Ford’s website for the fronts only, $499 with the pony emblem, and the Ford service guy couldnt even get them installed. Had to teturn them. Said the fender flares on my 2023 Badlands SAS impedes installation causing them to be tweaked at an angle that would them to come in contact with the wheel. The cheap ones from Ford I was told by another Bronco owner who works at Ford they wont fit the SAS either. I’m about done fooling with getting mudflaps. I have two left thumbs, they bad at mechanical stuff but they good enough to DIY PPF the doors to protect from rocks.

G-Waggin

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cadillac SRX
Your Bronco Model
Base
Weathertech; front only. No-drill install and reasonably priced. I actually dig the gap because it doesn't look like you have oddly-long front fenders like a skirt. I plan to install the factory running boards as well, which should add more than enough extra protection.

vrewald14

Badlands
First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
03 Ford Excursion, 79 Ford Bronco, 04 Toyota Camry
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Rockblokz for the win.

installed mine the day I brought my non-sas Badlands home because we live on a gravel road. Protection is very good, but the long versions would be even better. Hardware supplied is very good and the thumbscrew removal for rock crawling is a key feature for me

something not mentioned much about rockblokz is there’s enough adjustability with the installation setup that you can move things in and out and play with the angle laterally to your liking

John Auer

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln Nautilus, Ford Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I have Mabett’s waiting to be installed when my rig arrives.

KABQ

Base
First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'93 4Runner, '84 Vanagon, '93 Miata, '14 LittleGuy
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I bought the Gatorbacks from Ford’s website for the fronts only, $499 with the pony emblem, and the Ford service guy couldnt even get them installed. Had to teturn them. Said the fender flares on my 2023 Badlands SAS impedes installation causing them to be tweaked at an angle that would them to come in contact with the wheel. The cheap ones from Ford I was told by another Bronco owner who works at Ford they wont fit the SAS either. I’m about done fooling with getting mudflaps. I have two left thumbs, they bad at mechanical stuff but they good enough to DIY PPF the doors to protect from rocks.
Mabetts were super easy to install and fit fine on my Basesquatch. I've had considerably fewer "pings" after install. I did fronts only.

Sponsored
OP
OP

Blue Oval

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Mabetts were super easy to install and fit fine on my Basesquatch. I've had considerably fewer "pings" after install. I did fronts only.
Do you feel that the Mabetts are long enough to give you good protection?

KABQ

Base
First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Do you feel that the Mabetts are long enough to give you good protection?
I'll answer with this. They seem to stop most rocks, but this small amount of mud is good for showing the true coverage pattern.

PXL_20221113_151739510.jpg

John Auer

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln Nautilus, Ford Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I bought all four, yet to be installed. My blend date is tomorrow 🤞.

KABQ

Base
First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

WheresMyBronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Just FYI the Mabett and IAG mud flaps appear to be the same aside from the logos (and maybe some slight hardware changes, not sure), so if you're concerned about the coverage on the Mabett mud flaps you'll have the same issue with the IAG and vice versa.
Sponsored