Sponsored

Another (trigger warning) "Rear Seat Delete" / 2Dr Platform/Enclosure, but Elevated

isubronco

Badlands
First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Toyota Prius
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I couldn't find the right aftermarket solution for my rear cargo area (plus I'm cheap and like using tools in my driveway), so I took the common "flat load" or "goose gear-ish" ideas and modified to better suit my needs. Some key design considerations:
  1. Cost efficient: While I don't consider myself cheap, I refuse to pay a 10x markup on something I can build myself.
  2. Flat load surface with more space for cargo:
    • Honestly, it's embarrassing that I got more cargo utility out of my Prius than the Bronco before removing the rear seats and adding this platform.
    • Yep, 8-10' sticks of 2x4's or PVC pipe fit in the Prius better than the Bronco still... but that's what multiple vehicles and trailers are for I guess...
    • My last Bronco was a '90 that had so much more cargo space (especially since I kept the rear bench out most of the time).
  3. Additional "stowed/permanent" storage capacity for recovery gear, camping gear, groceries, etc...
    • I tried keeping a tote or two in the cargo area for a while, but loose totes just fly all over the place and mark up the tissue paper quality interior panels.
    • I wanted to keep totes instead of drawers since those work well for camping (pull a tote and bring it to the picnic table).
  4. Secure storage area for when the roof is off (most of the summer unless there's an out of town camping trip).
  5. Retain quick/easy access to the sub-floor storage compartments from Ford w/o hinged compartments/latches/fumble ducking around
  6. Ability to sleep 2 people (while I typically tent camp, a quick overnight stopover in colder weather is easier in an enclosed vehicle than busting out the tent).
    • I'm Mitchell Watts and I'm 6'3"... ok not really, but I am 6'2" / 215 lbs and this works for me +1 much shorter/smaller camping companion.

I've included a few pictures here of the almost final product and build process. Not yet pictured are the "drop in" sleeping panels that will bridge the gap between the permanent top sheet/platform and folded front seats. Please feel free to ask questions, but here's a few topics I'll try to anticipate ahead of time:

Materials ($120 - $350 depending on your preferences)
  • QTY 2 - 4x8x1/2" birch sanded plywood sheets ($120)
  • Wood glue (on hand / $10)
  • #6x1" wood screws (on hand / $5)
    • note, you can stop here if you want to keep it simple
  • wood stain (on hand / $15)
    • used for the bottom sheet and vertical walls of the enclosure
  • bed liner ($53)
    • I used one full can of Bully Liner for the top sheet/platform only (sourced locally at Walmart): https://www.walmart.com/ip/Bullylin...XiUI&athancid=884238998&athposb=0&athena=true
    • bare wood / stain / carpet / horse stall mat / your bed liner of choice are all acceptable alternatives
    • I would have loved to use HDPE or another similar material for the full enclosure, but the lack of available local options and overall price after shipping didn't compete with the simplicity of wood with a couple coats of Bully Liner
  • sound deadening mat ($50)
  • QTY 6 totes ($90)

Tools
  • tape measure
  • solidworks for design
  • circular saw
  • table saw
  • jig saw
  • multitool (for sanding and cutting)
  • orbital sander
  • router
  • drill or impact w/ drill bits and phillips bits
  • custom "tracer" made from wood scraps, but a compass would also work great
  • other misc. hand tools, clamps, jigs, guides, etc... that suit your fabrication preferences
Ford Bronco Another (trigger warning) "Rear Seat Delete" / 2Dr Platform/Enclosure, but Elevated IMG_7209.JPEG
Ford Bronco Another (trigger warning) "Rear Seat Delete" / 2Dr Platform/Enclosure, but Elevated IMG_7249.JPEG
Ford Bronco Another (trigger warning) "Rear Seat Delete" / 2Dr Platform/Enclosure, but Elevated IMG_7250.JPEG
Ford Bronco Another (trigger warning) "Rear Seat Delete" / 2Dr Platform/Enclosure, but Elevated IMG_7253.JPEG
Ford Bronco Another (trigger warning) "Rear Seat Delete" / 2Dr Platform/Enclosure, but Elevated IMG_7279.JPEG
Ford Bronco Another (trigger warning) "Rear Seat Delete" / 2Dr Platform/Enclosure, but Elevated IMG_7310.JPEG
Ford Bronco Another (trigger warning) "Rear Seat Delete" / 2Dr Platform/Enclosure, but Elevated IMG_7312.JPEG
Ford Bronco Another (trigger warning) "Rear Seat Delete" / 2Dr Platform/Enclosure, but Elevated IMG_7313.JPEG
Ford Bronco Another (trigger warning) "Rear Seat Delete" / 2Dr Platform/Enclosure, but Elevated IMG_7197.JPEG
Sponsored

Last edited:

shurdba

Wildtrak
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco 2 Door
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Post a follow up with picture when you get the "drop in sleeping panels". Also, do the front seats tilt all the way back?

OP
OP
isubronco

isubronco

Badlands
First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Toyota Prius
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Post a follow up with picture when you get the "drop in sleeping panels". Also, do the front seats tilt all the way back?
Will do.

I chose the maximize the length of the platform at 48", which means the seats will not fully recline at the rear most slide position. But, they do still reach the slide end of travel in a comfortable tilt position.

Reducing the platform length by 7.5" would entirely remove the overhang and likely still allow for full recline at the rear most slide position. That would also simplify the design/fabrication quite a bit if you're willing to make that tradeoff.

Ford Bronco Another (trigger warning) "Rear Seat Delete" / 2Dr Platform/Enclosure, but Elevated ISO

shurdba

Wildtrak
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco 2 Door
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Will do.

I chose the maximize the length of the platform at 48", which means the seats will not fully recline at the rear most slide position. But, they do still reach the slide end of travel in a comfortable tilt position.

Reducing the platform length by 7.5" would entirely remove the overhang and likely still allow for full recline at the rear most slide position. That would also simplify the design/fabrication quite a bit if you're willing to make that tradeoff.

Ford Bronco Another (trigger warning) "Rear Seat Delete" / 2Dr Platform/Enclosure, but Elevated ISO
I like it! Curious how you plan to make sleeping arrangements work. Hammock strung up to the windshield? Very nice job. I like making stuff too.

Sponsored

mackoy21

Base
First Name
Marco
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw e36
Your Bronco Model
Base
awesome! been thinking of doing the same thing on mine !

OP
OP
isubronco

isubronco

Badlands
First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Toyota Prius
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I like it! Curious how you plan to make sleeping arrangements work. Hammock strung up to the windshield? Very nice job. I like making stuff too.
Thanks! The sleep panel will drop where the green box is below. The plan is to use the titled seat as a headrest and drop in my thermarest directly on the platform (no hammock required, but that would be an interesting option, especially with the top off).

sleep panel.jpg

shurdba

Wildtrak
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco 2 Door
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Very clever. Now I got to get the tape measure out to see if my six foot wife would fit. And then figure out where to store the back seats. Thank you for sharing.
Sponsored