Sponsored

Answer from Dealer Made me uncomfortable. Thoughts?

A51Asheville

Black Diamond
First Name
Dane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Black Diamond Sas Mid Package
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

So I called out the Service Manager at the Local Ford Dealer I purchased and have had maintenance from about installing a set of Baja Designs A Pilar lights and the manager mentioned that they don't always like to install non-OEM parts because it could potential cause a warranty issue. This threw me a bit and has me questioning my decision to work with this dealership for future upgrades I may do. Has anyone else heard this from their dealers or Ford Certified locations they have worked with? Am I overthinking this and it's just them trying to Cover their butts? Would appreciate your thoughts (less sarcasm the better.)
Sponsored

PWillette

Badlands
First Name
Parrie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 F250 Super Duty, '01 SS Camaro, '21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Probably CYA on his part but it seems every dealer is different when it comes to installing aftermarket parts and warranties. With that being said, a set of aftermarket lights causing a warranty issue is a bit far-fetched. Personally I'd install the lights myself, it's super easy.

Mjtermini

Badlands
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 2DR Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
So I called out the Service Manager at the Local Ford Dealer I purchased and have had maintenance from about installing a set of Baja Designs A Pilar lights and the manager mentioned that they don't always like to install non-OEM parts because it could potential cause a warranty issue. This threw me a bit and has me questioning my decision to work with this dealership for future upgrades I may do. Has anyone else heard this from their dealers or Ford Certified locations they have worked with? Am I overthinking this and it's just them trying to Cover their butts? Would appreciate your thoughts (less sarcasm the better.)
Most dealers will refuse to install non-OEM parts on vehicles under warranty because so doing exposes them to liability issues from manufacturers and customers.

OP
OP
A51Asheville

A51Asheville

Black Diamond
First Name
Dane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Probably CYA on his part but it seems every dealer is different when it comes to installing aftermarket parts and warranties. With that being said, a set of aftermarket lights causing a warranty issue is a bit far-fetched. Personally I'd install the lights myself, it's super easy.
I was heavily considering self install. The thing holding me back is a lack of tools ( I have none) and limited to no experience with wiring anything. I've watched videos and read the instructions but just don't feel super confident. I figured I'd do my due diligence and take it to Ford directly to avoid any potential complications. Im 97% leaning it's a CYA thing but that 3% is nagging at me.

Thanks for the shared thoughts, genuinely appreciate it!

PWillette

Badlands
First Name
Parrie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 F250 Super Duty, '01 SS Camaro, '21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I was heavily considering self install. The thing holding me back is a lack of tools ( I have none) and limited to no experience with wiring anything. I've watched videos and read the instructions but just don't feel super confident. I figured I'd do my due diligence and take it to Ford directly to avoid any potential complications. Im 97% leaning it's a CYA thing but that 3% is nagging at me.

Do you have the Aux switches?

Sponsored

V1Rotate

Wildtrak
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Assuming your username points to your location then just about the last place I’d trust to do anything right would be any AVL area Ford dealer.. even something as simple as a few lights. I’d either DIY (good opportunity to start investing in some tools!) or take it to a place like AVO and have them do it for ya.

Lowcountry Bronco

Heritage
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger and Toyota FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

If you're truly wanting the dealer/service Dept. to install then go with the Rigid lights from the Ford accessory site. If you really want the Baja lights then call around to a 4x4 shop in the area and see if they're good installing them for you..

Here's the Ford "approved" lights:

https://accessories.ford.com/products/bronco-mirror-mounted-off-road-lights

Beach_Bum

Black Diamond
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Black Diamond Bronco, 2023 Outerbanks Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Find and join a local Bronco owners group (Blue Ridge Broncos comes to mind). For simple installs, I'm sure there are other owners that would be glad to help over some garage beers and bar-b-cue.

OP
OP
A51Asheville

A51Asheville

Black Diamond
First Name
Dane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Do you have the Aux switches? - I do! This is the only reason i even considered the self install.

If you are not comfortable self installing, pay a qualified local installer. Dealer is just acting like a dealer. - I have already started getting quotes from some of the more well known shops around the area.

Assuming your username points to your location then just about the last place I’d trust to do anything right would be any AVL area Ford dealer.. even something as simple as a few lights. I’d either DIY (good opportunity to start investing in some tools!) or take it to a place like AVO and have them do it for ya. - AVO was my next call today called Outlaw Off-road already (slightly closer to my residence)

If you're truly wanting the dealer/service Dept. to install then go with the Rigid lights from the Ford accessory site. If you really want the Baja lights then call around to a 4x4 shop in the area and see if they're good installing them for you.. - The Baja Designs lights were gifted to me so I already have possession. (plus I like them way better than Rigid.)

Sponsored

P52Ranch

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2DR 7MT Badlands, F150 Lightning, New Holland 4030
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
You are asking a Ford dealer to become an aftermarket installer. Especially bringing in your own parts to the dealer. The Ford dealer would probably gladly install Ford aftermarket parts but not likely third party parts that a customer bring in.

V1Rotate

Wildtrak
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Do you have the Aux switches? - I do! This is the only reason i even considered the self install.
If you’re running them to your aux switches it doesn’t get much easier. Just have to ground the lights and hook up the power to the lead under the hood that corresponds to whatever aux you want to use. Plenty of simple grounding locations in that same area

OP
OP
A51Asheville

A51Asheville

Black Diamond
First Name
Dane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

You are asking a Ford dealer to become an aftermarket installer. Especially bringing in your own parts to the dealer. The Ford dealer would probably gladly install Ford aftermarket parts but not likely third party parts that a customer bring in.
I figured some business is better than no business but I fully see your point.

JeffL

Base
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Challenger Hellcat Redeye / 2023 Base SAS
Your Bronco Model
Base
seems completely normal to me for dealership service. dealers aren't in the mod game, well most dealers.

Blackcat

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 FORD BRONCO BASE 2 DOOR M/T
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Just be prepared for a denied warranty claim should some sort of issues arise. Dealers will see aftermarket parts and deny due to that most of the time. I installed some aftermarket LED bulbs in an F150 a few years back and had some issues popped up that were related to said install. Luckily, my dealer warrantied it, but did say to remove the bulbs or the next time it would be on my dime.
Sponsored