Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Toyota Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Thinking about joing 23 MY order bank. Dont mind the long wait. Id be going from the a 2016 Tacoma TRD Off Road 4 door. I wanna build a 4 door 2.3 Badlands Mansquatch with Mid Package. Yes, I know id be waiting a loooong time, lol. Any thoughts on a switch from the Tacoma? I feel a 2.3 would be sufficient for me since im pretty use to the Tacomas sluggish 3.5.
Sponsored

‘21OBX

Outer Banks
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 bronco outer banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

The 2.3 manual I don’t believe would feel sluggish. We have one of each 2.3 and 2.7. There is a noticeable difference but both are decent. The 2.3 weighs less and has more clearance due to not have some cross members underneath that hang down on the 2.7. I really like the 360 cameras but believe you have to get high package to get them.

EDIT TO SAY our 2.3 is an auto is on 35’s and still drives fine. It’s no sports car on road but is a beast off road. If I were to trade off my OBX and order a badlands it would be a 2.3.

Last edited:
OP
OP
AuldBronco

AuldBronco

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Toyota Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Thanks, good to have a perspective of both engines. Definitely leaning towards 2.3 manual though.

BeachShredder

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AMG c63s, Toyota Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have a 2010 Tacoma TRD and a Badlands. If you can only have one due to financial reasons, etc, don't get rid of your Tacoma. Murphy's Law - the day you get rid of your truck is the day you'll need it. To me, vehicles like Broncos and Wranglers are made for fun. If it's a matter of dependability, there's no question that Toyota takes the win.

Sponsored
OP
OP
AuldBronco

AuldBronco

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Toyota Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Get anything you want moved, and make any Home Depot runs done first. I miss my taco truck bed :(
Ya id probably get a beater dump run truck in addition to the Bronco. But the Tacoma would need to be a trade in. Plus have friends and family with trucks at the ready.

OP
OP
AuldBronco

AuldBronco

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Toyota Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

I had a Tacoma a few years ago that I bought from a friend because it was basically the last pickup you could obtain with a manual transmission. Honestly… I didn’t like the Tacoma at all, it was just extremely uncomfortable to be in, and I ultimately sold it. So I will fully admit I am biased against the Tacoma, and probably not the best person to be responding. But anyway…

I miss the pickup bed. That’s it. Everything else about the Bronco is better, and I definitely would not worry about the 2.3L engine.

We don’t know what 2023MY pricing will be yet, but if it is like 2022MY pricing… don’t get the Sasquatch package. More info here. (Excuse my saltiness in that thread, I was kinda pissed.)
Good info in that salty thread, lol. But i am 6'1 and do feel like im driving in a camry in that Taca cab. The Sasquatch package isnt a must and who knows, without it the build probably would come faster.

JT58Bronc

Base
First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco, 2021 Miata track Edition
Your Bronco Model
Base
You might miss the truck bed, if you use it for anything. The Bronco will be more fun to drive with the manual transmission. Should be little to no difference in gas mileage.

I went from a Silverado Double Cab to a 2 door Bronco. I love the smaller size and if fits in my garage. But really, really miss the bed of the Silverado to put in Kayaks and Paddle Boards. I thought I would be able to use a rack on the Bronco although it's too tall, barely clears my garage door now and the extra 1-2" in height it won't clear the door. My Silverado despite it's massive size got better gas mileage- 24 to the Broncos 21. So just make sure you check all of your uses, roof rack, etc. and you should be good to go.

djp

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
djp
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Badlands 4dr || '21 Bronco Sport BigBend
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Thinking about joing 23 MY order bank. Dont mind the long wait. Id be going from the a 2016 Tacoma TRD Off Road 4 door. I wanna build a 4 door 2.3 Badlands Mansquatch with Mid Package. Yes, I know id be waiting a loooong time, lol. Any thoughts on a switch from the Tacoma? I feel a 2.3 would be sufficient for me since im pretty use to the Tacomas sluggish 3.5.
I owned a 2015 manual tacoma, it was fun but gearing was not right in my opinion. Also had some sort of hydro lock in the tranny and it had to be replaced at 1k.

I swapped for a 2016 automatic and dear god those things are slow. It shifted like junk, amd ended up being 2qt low on tranny fluid from factory. ended up dumping. So after a year I had two tacomas, loved the look and drive but the motor/trans were pathetic. After some fight toyota gave me vouchers so was only at a $900 loss to have two taco's for a year

When you jump into the 2.3manual it is a bullet compared to the taco. They tranny is great in manual and it has tons of power.

It will be an out of body experience for you!!

OP
OP
AuldBronco

AuldBronco

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Toyota Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

You might miss the truck bed, if you use it for anything. The Bronco will be more fun to drive with the manual transmission. Should be little to no difference in gas mileage.

I went from a Silverado Double Cab to a 2 door Bronco. I love the smaller size and if fits in my garage. But really, really miss the bed of the Silverado to put in Kayaks and Paddle Boards. I thought I would be able to use a rack on the Bronco although it's too tall, barely clears my garage door now and the extra 1-2" in height it won't clear the door. My Silverado despite it's massive size got better gas mileage- 24 to the Broncos 21. So just make sure you check all of your uses, roof rack, etc. and you should be good to go.
That'd be my one hang up. Kayaks. So easy in the Taco. Maybe a small trailer for the Bronco

Sponsored
OP
OP
AuldBronco

AuldBronco

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Toyota Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

I owned a 2015 manual tacoma, it was fun but gearing was not right in my opinion. Also had some sort of hydro lock in the tranny and it had to be replaced at 1k.

I swapped for a 2016 automatic and dear god those things are slow. It shifted like junk, amd ended up being 2qt low on tranny fluid from factory. ended up dumping. So after a year I had two tacomas, loved the look and drive but the motor/trans were pathetic. After some fight toyota gave me vouchers so was only at a $900 loss to have two taco's for a year

When you jump into the 2.3manual it is a bullet compared to the taco. They tranny is great in manual and it has tons of power.

It will be an out of body experience for you!!
Thats what I wanna hear! I like my Tacoma, but man is it a slug.

RumbleOn

Base
First Name
Gerald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Tacoma; 1986 4Runner; 1930 Model A
Your Bronco Model
Base
My current ride is a 2019 Taco TRD Off Road. I do not like the engine or the auto trans. My wife's 2016 4Runner is much more fun to drive. I have driven a few Broncos and the 2.3 w/manual is fun to drive and plenty of power for me. I will be letting go of my Taco once my Bronco arrives.

djp

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
djp
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Badlands 4dr || '21 Bronco Sport BigBend
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Thats what I wanna hear! I like my Tacoma, but man is it a slug.
You will 100% have a smile if you drive a manual 2.3L Bronco! I promise

JT58Bronc

Base
First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco, 2021 Miata track Edition
Your Bronco Model
Base
That'd be my one hang up. Kayaks. So easy in the Taco. Maybe a small trailer for the Bronco
Ha- that's what I was thinking! The small 4 X 8 fold up one, that I could tuck it in the corner of the garage, folded up when not in use. It's not that expensive- like $450 or so. Much cheaper than the $1200+ rack for the Bronco- if you can even get one.

We kayak and paddle board a lot. My wife has and older Silverado regular cab short bed 2wd truck that we use in town. Although for vacation and on trips there is not enough room in it for everything. And it is only 2wd for the mountain and dirt roads and trails we like to go on.
Sponsored

Last edited: