Sponsored

Any idea if the "Gun Turret" can be swapped out with an actual moonroof?

Beach_Bum

Black Diamond
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Black Diamond Bronco, 2023 Outerbanks Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

The 2-dr with the Modular hardtop features the "Gun Turret" over the rear seats as part of the rear clamshell. Do you think one of the accessories available from Ford will be an actual moonroof (tinted lucite) in place of the turret hatch? I'm hoping that it comes from Ford to be covered under warranty. But if not, I guess I will have to wait for the aftermarket.

Also, any chance that a similar tinted polycarbonate roof is available for the driver/passenger roof panels?

NOTE: Updated to reflect the correction on availability on the MIC top. Rephrased the original question so that an answer might apply to other's interest. I'm still getting a MIC top so I don't have a gun turret swap need. But others who are getting a modular might. Also, the secondary question on the tinted roof panels over the driver/passenger still pertains.
Sponsored

Last edited:

GoneAndDusted

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'm getting the 2-dr with the MIC hardtop which features the "Gun Turret" over the rear seats as part of the rear clamshell. Do you think one of the accessories available from Ford will be an actual moonroof (tinted lucite) in place of the turret hatch? I'm hoping that it comes from Ford to be covered under warranty. But if not, I guess I will have to wait for the aftermarket.

Also, any chance that a similar tinted polycarbonate roof is available for the driver/passenger roof panels?
The opening you are referring to is only available with the modular shadow black painted hard top, not the MIC hard top.

OP
OP
Beach_Bum

Beach_Bum

Black Diamond
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Thanks for the quick clarification. I just searched for clarification and apparently, I'm not the only one. There were other members that were questioning the availability of the moonroof on the MIC just recently for the East Bronco Show/Tell.

ZackDanger

Badlands
First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Throwing this up for future visitors:
Ford Bronco Any idea if the "Gun Turret" can be swapped out with an actual moonroof? 0AA32F31-D5EB-46F6-8296-9555B4C9F0DF

To the opā€™s point: I would think that a replacement window would be easy low-hanging fruit... but from the Jeep world, roof panel replacements with glass inserts are few and far between. Not sure why, but I suspect it has to do with the expense of manufacturing them... the sale price would be prohibitively high for an object that that replaces a removable piece anyway.

Hereā€™s one for the Jeep... polycarbonate panel... $1k.:

https://www.quadratec.com/p/clearlidz/front-hardtop-panel-wrangler-jk

And hereā€™s the arguably nicer set that Iā€˜m familiar with... considerably more expensive:

https://jeetop.com/product/1295-5800/

Last edited:

Toccoa

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Isuzu Rodeo Sport
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Would make for a great accessory from Ford. Iā€™d buy one.

Sponsored

_2020_

Badlands
First Name
Sylvain
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Mini Countryman S , 2015 JKU, 2017 X5 3.5i
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Would make for a great accessory from Ford. Iā€™d buy one.
Honestly if weather is great just drop the roof panel(s) on the back seats or in the trunk, enjoy the fresh air.
All you might need is a bag to protect your panels

OP
OP
Beach_Bum

Beach_Bum

Black Diamond
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

@ZackDanger Thanks for the additional info on the jeep market. Yeah, I'm not looking to spend $1K. Also, I'm not sure they material has to be glass with a frame, but could be a heavy duty polycarbonate. My original question was focused on the gun turret. Thanks for the clarification. But even on the driver/passenger roof panels, it would be nice to have a tinted panel to replace the roof panel for those of us that live in climates with rainy seasons. Still would like some sunshine but yet stay dry when the weather changes within minutes to a downpour.

Bronc-O

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lincoln Aviator
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Throwing this up for future visitors:
Ford Bronco Any idea if the "Gun Turret" can be swapped out with an actual moonroof? 0AA32F31-D5EB-46F6-8296-9555B4C9F0DF

To the opā€™s point: I would think that a replacement window would be easy low-hanging fruit... but from the Jeep world, roof panel replacements with glass inserts are few and far between. Not sure why, but I suspect it has to do with the expense of manufacturing them... the sale price would be prohibitively high for an object that that replaces a removable piece anyway.

Hereā€™s one for the Jeep... polycarbonate panel... $1k.:

https://www.quadratec.com/p/clearlidz/front-hardtop-panel-wrangler-jk

And hereā€™s the arguably nicer set that Iā€˜m familiar with... considerably more expensive:

https://jeetop.com/product/1295-5800/
I contacted Clearlidz a couple of weeks ago and they said "it's on their radar, stay tuned".

THOMASO1371

Outer Banks
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kia Forte5
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
If its polycarbonate I would pass. I bought the same concept for the forklifts and they scratch so easily. A glass option would be really sweet for 1-2k

OP
OP
Beach_Bum

Beach_Bum

Black Diamond
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

If its polycarbonate I would pass. I bought the same concept for the forklifts and they scratch so easily. A glass option would be really sweet for 1-2k
My thinking was a seasonal swap, not necessarily a permanent swap. Often in Florida during the rainy season, it can be beautiful one moment and 10 minutes later pouring. Certainly, leaving the original roof panels in place would suffice. But it would be nice to bask in the sunshine without getting soaked 10 minutes later.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Beach_Bum

Beach_Bum

Black Diamond
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Not a cloud in the sky, then it's dark as night, like someone cast a spell.
You know exactly what I'm talking about. I've seen it pouring on one side of the street and the other not a single drop. Wait 10 minutes, and it will be passed with just a steam bath remaining.

Stitches1974

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Dodge Challenger Scat Pack
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
You know exactly what I'm talking about. I've seen it pouring on one side of the street and the other not a single drop. Wait 10 minutes, and it will be passed with just a steam bath remaining.
I've only been here for 3 years, but I've seen some weird stuff that I never saw in any other state. Super localized storms etc...

BroncoKong Jr.

Badlands
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Haha. I'm in NC and I don't think we quite get the rain y'all do, but one time I walked out in my front yard and it was raining at my neighbor's house. Just my neighbor's house.

OP
OP
Beach_Bum

Beach_Bum

Black Diamond
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Haha. I'm in NC and I don't think we quite get the rain y'all do, but one time I walked out in my front yard and it was raining at my neighbor's house. Just my neighbor's house.
The craziest is when it is pouring and you can't find a cloud in the sky. Bright sunny pouring rain. Florida is bizarre.
Sponsored