Sponsored

Anyone actually bolt on beadlock rings yet?

gryphon1231

First Name
dj
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
na
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

It is not necessarily beadlock wheels that are illegal in many states, it is usually multi-piece construction wheel that are illegal. Beadlock wheels just happen to fall into that category.

Somebody, somewhere along the way must have decided that multi-piece rsd must also mean multi-points of failure. Not sure I agree but also not sure I trust the general public to properly check and maintain torque spec on all those bolts either.
It is not necessarily beadlock wheels that are illegal in many states, it is usually multi-piece construction wheel that are illegal. Beadlock wheels just happen to fall into that category.

Somebody, somewhere along the way must have decided that multi-piece must also mean multi-points of failure. Not sure I agree but also not sure I trust the general public to properly check and maintain torque spec on all those bolts either.
Bead lock wheels aren’t illegal they’re just not dot approved. You can run bead locks on the road if you want no one is going to bother you.

However, if you get into an accident and the cause of the accident is due the the failure of the bead lock wheel you will run some legal risks because bead locks are not DOT approved for street use.

Also running bead locks requires frequent maintenance. They’re not install and forget like mounting a regular tire.
Sponsored

chtucker

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Bead lock wheels aren’t illegal they’re just not dot approved. You can run bead locks on the road if you want no one is going to bother you.

However, if you get into an accident and the cause of the accident is due the the failure of the bead lock wheel you will run some legal risks because bead locks are not DOT approved for street use.

Also running bead locks requires frequent maintenance. They’re not install and forget like mounting a regular tire.
Driven by many law enforcement vehicles and no one has said anything... and the beadlocks are not hard to miss.

It wasn't that hard to do, a digital torque wrench was key. I plan on re torquing quarterly
Ford Bronco Anyone actually bolt on beadlock rings yet? 1643818690733

Ford Bronco Anyone actually bolt on beadlock rings yet? 1643818704595

Ford Bronco Anyone actually bolt on beadlock rings yet? 1643818715615

Sponsored

mike8675309

Base
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco ManSquatch, 2023 Chevy Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Base
For those not familiar with bead locks.
  • When using a wheel normally, there is a groove on the inside of the wheel that the bead sits in and is retained in that groove by the air pressure from the tire.
    When you decrease the air pressure, the bead can more easily exit the groove, causing you to lose air pressure.
  • A bead lock wheel solves this by taking the tire's bead out of the groove and placing it into a groove on the bead lock flange. The bead lock ring is then placed over the flange and bolted down trapping the bead of the tire between the flange and the ring, making an air-tight seal.
  • The tire is now trapped directly to the wheel so even if you only have 5psi of air in the tire, the tire should contain the air. (some drag racing vehicles use bead lock wheels)
    Wheels need to meet federal transportation regulations to be used on the road. Validation that wheels meet these regulations is done through expensive testing.
  • Most wheels designed for off-road use don't bother to spend the money on the testing to get rated for highway use. That doesn't mean they aren't good wheels. (Though if you do some research you will find some very poor quality off-road use only wheels)

Police are unlikely to bother you if you drive your bronco on the road with the bead locks on. But if you get in an accident and insurance companies or lawyers realize you have off-road use wheels on your vehicle, it won't go well for you.

Oldhippie

Big Bend
First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW X1, ‘1928 model A, “23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Just got my rings today. Cjponyparts $799. Now if I only had a bronco to put them on? Damn chip shortage!

Ford Bronco Anyone actually bolt on beadlock rings yet? 20220206_123741
Do they come with the bolts?

Inigo Montoya

Badlands
First Name
Inigo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

For those not familiar with bead locks.
  • When using a wheel normally, there is a groove on the inside of the wheel that the bead sits in and is retained in that groove by the air pressure from the tire.
    When you decrease the air pressure, the bead can more easily exit the groove, causing you to lose air pressure.
  • A bead lock wheel solves this by taking the tire's bead out of the groove and placing it into a groove on the bead lock flange. The bead lock ring is then placed over the flange and bolted down trapping the bead of the tire between the flange and the ring, making an air-tight seal.
  • The tire is now trapped directly to the wheel so even if you only have 5psi of air in the tire, the tire should contain the air. (some drag racing vehicles use bead lock wheels)
    Wheels need to meet federal transportation regulations to be used on the road. Validation that wheels meet these regulations is done through expensive testing.
  • Most wheels designed for off-road use don't bother to spend the money on the testing to get rated for highway use. That doesn't mean they aren't good wheels. (Though if you do some research you will find some very poor quality off-road use only wheels)

Police are unlikely to bother you if you drive your bronco on the road with the bead locks on. But if you get in an accident and insurance companies or lawyers realize you have off-road use wheels on your vehicle, it won't go well for you.
Dumb question but if you decide to use a true beadlock ring in a purely aesthetic configuration - for on-road driving - will there be an unsightly gap where the tire bead should be in a proper beadlock setup?

Sponsored

mike8675309

Base
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco ManSquatch, 2023 Chevy Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Base
Dumb question but if you decide to use a true beadlock ring in a purely aesthetic configuration - for on-road driving - will there be an unsightly gap where the tire bead should be in a proper beadlock setup?
the beauty rings show you what it would look like. They are beauty rings because they are not made strong enough to deal with the torque that would be applied if used to lock the bead on. For that, you need the actual bead lock rings that are specifically built to hold the bead to the rim.

HeHateMe

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Hyundai Palisade
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Just got my rings today. Cjponyparts $799. Now if I only had a bronco to put them on? Damn chip shortage!

Ford Bronco Anyone actually bolt on beadlock rings yet? 20220206_123741
Man... You could've had some regular Ford rings, but painted, sorry, powder coated, real purdy-like from a vendor on here for $500...

Seriously... There's a thread about it!

tenor.gif

Sassy BD

Black Diamond
First Name
DD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
89 Grand Wagoneer, 16 Ford Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

No, the ring is flush to the tire and rim. No gap.

Inigo Montoya

Badlands
First Name
Inigo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

No, the ring is flush to the tire and rim. No gap.
Right. I guess what I am saying is if you don't actually pop the bead off the factory setup and then bolt on the bead lock rings, will there be a gap between the ring and the wheel face / tire where the tire bead is supposed to go in an actual bead lock setup?

Sassy BD

Black Diamond
First Name
DD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
89 Grand Wagoneer, 16 Ford Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Right. I guess what I am saying is if you don't actually pop the bead off the factory setup and then bolt on the bead lock rings, will there be a gap between the ring and the wheel face / tire where the tire bead is supposed to go in an actual bead lock setup?
I see what you mean. The ring is not designed to do that. I’d have to remove one to show you, but I don’t think there is a way to safely install them without breaking the bead.
Sponsored