Sponsored

Anyone considered changing modem from 4g LTE to 5g?

Roll Sound

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wildtrack 2DR MIC OW, 2014 KTM RC8R
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Also, 5G not really out yet. Look at all the trouble the FCC and FAA is having with C Band. It's grounding some makes of jets, and is banned near many airports. Most people think because their phone says 5G in the top, you're paying for and getting 5G. Not true. It's barely been able to roll out.
Sponsored

Kcmojoe76

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nothing
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Out of curiosity, do any of you who have commented about the wireless technology work in the wireless telecommunications field?

Easy-v

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BadSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

You're talking about the built-in 4g modem, correct?

It's built-in.

It's not upgradable like buying a new cell phone.
It actually is.
but it’s a ford part, and usually doesn’t come out until the networks announce end of life for the frequency band.

my 2013 Fusion had a 2g modem onboard and Ford upgraded it to a 3G

my 2019 Fusion has a 3g modem and now there is a 4g part that recently became availabl.

doubt there is a 5g part at this time

https://www.fordfusionenergiforum.com/topic/7734-4g-modem-replacement-details/

Roll Sound

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Out of curiosity, do any of you who have commented about the wireless technology work in the wireless telecommunications field?
Losely. Wireless yes. Telecom, no. I have to have an FCC radio license to use the frequencies we have and use to make movies. And it helps a lot to be aware of what other spectrums are being used for what because I have to navigate and coordinate around them. Everything is wireless these days, so you have to know a bit about them all.

goalie

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep JK
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It is probably very different with different brands but several years ago I replaced the module in my BMW that controlled bluetooth (when CA made holding your phone illegal while driving). It was a pain, and not cheap but we got a module for a much newer vehicle working perfectly with some forscan equivalent changes. So... maybe, some day?!

While we're talking modems, does anyone know if we can replace the sim and use a different carrier? Volvo lets you easily switch it out.

Sponsored

Bob Blaylock

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Dodge Dart
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It actually is.
but it’s a ford part, and usually doesn’t come out until the networks announce end of life for the frequency band.

my 2019 Fusion has a 3g modem and now there is a 4g part that recently became availabl [sic].

That's good to hear.

So there is, in fact, a very good chance that before 4G is phased out, there will be an upgrade to allow our Broncos to operate on 5G or something later, then.

Any word on pricing for the extant upgrades that you've mentioned for other vehicles?

fschael

Base
First Name
Federico
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 F-150 Supercrew FX4
Your Bronco Model
Base
Let me know if you guys find out how you do it to do the same with my old iPhone.

JohnnyBronco

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
X4
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I have to ask why? I get it's cool but unless there is some special application at issue, 4G is more than adequate for a car Wifi hotspot to feed the kid's ipads, laptops, etc. I use the 4G hotspot in my Escalade to power two Chromecast with Google TVs feeding into the two 12 inch OLED screens in the back and no one has ever complained about throughput. Only complaint is if we go through an area that has no cellular and there are a number of them out in the mountains. I think 5G would be overkill for most car streaming applications.
Streaming movies on a trip back from the ocean used up a whole month of data on my wife's iphone
It will be years until 5G is out to the masses. Just wait, or it is a waste of $$$.
Current 5G as sold is really rebranded 4g+, not actual 5G. Remember when 4G came out, and it really wasn't actual 4G until 4GLTE came out? Sam
LTE used to mean "light" , who wants light service? I know its not but why not 4G+ or 4GNXT
For those of us who expect to keep our Broncos for a very long time, not being able to upgrade the modem could be a significant concern. I believe that 3G is already in the process of being phased out, and soon, any device that depends on it will become inoperative.

How long will 4G continue to be supported, before it meets the same fate?

I have to seriously hope that Ford thought ahead enough to provide some way to upgrade the cell technology in these vehicles, so that they can continue to work with existing networks as older networks get phased out.
No, it will be same as the shutdown of OnStar when 3g came out and digital replaced analog

North7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

It actually is.

my 2019 Fusion has a 3g modem and now there is a 4g part that recently became availabl.

You will be correct in a couple of years, when Ford comes out with a 5g modem upgrade. However, the OP was asking what he could do right now to replace the 4g modem with a 5g modem.

Easy-v

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BadSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

That's good to hear.

So there is, in fact, a very good chance that before 4G is phased out, there will be an upgrade to allow our Broncos to operate on 5G or something later, then.

Any word on pricing for the extant upgrades that you've mentioned for other vehicles?
$250 for the part, labor depends on if your vehicle is still on trial service level when replaced.

Sponsored

KyTruckPlant

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 Mustang, 05 F150, 08 Expedition EL, 21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It is my understanding that true "5G" (mm wave technology) would require an antenna just about every street corner in order to achieve it's maximum bandwidth.

https://www.electronicproducts.com/understanding-the-challenges-of-5g-mmwave/#

"To receive mmWave signals, users must be within a block or two of a 5G tower with no line-of-sight (LOS) obstructions. High-frequency mmWave signals are easily blocked by buildings, walls, windows, and foliage, further reducing the available 5G range (Figure 1). To optimize coverage, carriers are faced with installing numerous small cells in high densities, driving up the cost of deploying mmWave networks at scale."

WuNgUn

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 door Squatched
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Right, I’ve done that, I’m just mentioning it in the thread to let others know that more people beyond the OP is interested in this topic
And it ranks the post higher in the "new posts" link so it'll pop up for others 👍🏻

Roll Sound

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
It is my understanding that true "5G" (mm wave technology) would require an antenna just about every street corner in order to achieve it's maximum bandwidth.

"To receive mmWave signals, users must be within a block or two of a 5G tower with no line-of-sight (LOS) obstructions. High-frequency mmWave signals are easily blocked by buildings, walls, windows, and foliage, further reducing the available 5G range (Figure 1). To optimize coverage, carriers are faced with installing numerous small cells in high densities, driving up the cost of deploying mmWave networks at scale."
5G oddly doesn't go through things like tree leaves well at all. Bummer.

jjack50

Black Diamond
First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 VW Jetta TDI, 2016 F350 4WD Crew Cab
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

That’s not the only 5G band. 5G has a lot more to do with the backend of how signals and data are processed and not just the frequencies. Wireless telecoms are converting some frequencies currently used for other services to 5G processes which are intended to provide for more channels and cleaner signals in the same amount of bandwidth as well as offering an opportunity to increase data speeds. 5G mmWave is a special case and is way faster but of limited range. Other 5G bands already exist and other radio bands are currently being added to the 5G stock. 4G LTE (long-term evolution) will be around for quite a while so I wouldn’t worry about needing to convert A Bronco’s wireless to 5G.

Daktari

Badlands
First Name
Oliver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badsquatch, Tacoma TRD Off Road, Jetta
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

For those of us who expect to keep our Broncos for a very long time, not being able to upgrade the modem could be a significant concern. I believe that 3G is already in the process of being phased out, and soon, any device that depends on it will become inoperative.

How long will 4G continue to be supported, before it meets the same fate?

I have to seriously hope that Ford thought ahead enough to provide some way to upgrade the cell technology in these vehicles, so that they can continue to work with existing networks as older networks get phased out.

well, that's really not only a modem or what ever "G" problem, I can't think of any10+ year old computer anything that still gets support. Can't upgrade my 10 year old mac anymore, can't use my old iphones anymore (besides that they would function just fine). Will Ford still support 20 year old or older computers that run these vehicles? Or any other manufacturer? Supports 20 year old sensors? Chips? Boards?

I doubt it, I don't think people will be driving 'classic' 50 year old 2021 Broncos in the future. Maybe some aftermarket company will put new computers in at a hefty price, but I'm more thinking that - like any other tech nowadays - these things are considered disposable by the manufacturers and won't work 20 or 30 years from now. I should try and start up my almost 30 year old PC or my even older Mac laptop, can't imagine anything still would work. Hope I'm wrong, but I just don't see anyone still supporting Sync4 in 20 years or anyone making a phone that can connect to that 'ancient' tech.
Sponsored

Reactions: abe