Sponsored

Changing TCU Data Carrier from AT&T to T-Mobile --> Almost There (need help)

steve_percy

Wildtrak
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Toyota Tundra 1794 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
QUESTION FOR THE FIELD: Does anyone know anything about how to access or edit the Sync4 and/or TCU's eSIM settings? Stated another way, is it possible to reprogram the eSIM to an ICCID T-Mobile assigns...or is switching carriers simply impossible? I've scoured the web and cannot find a single instance of anyone yet successfully "porting" their vehicle's built-in data plan to another carrier...which is a legal requirement to be able to do (per FCC local number portability (LNP) and device portability (unlocking) rules). A few years ago, a Ford exec said this was "on the horizon," but I suspect they've changed tacks.

BACKGROUND: I've been doing some reading and am convinced this is possible without using FORScan, but need some help figuring IT out. Here is where I am:

The Telematics Control Unit (TCU) on our Broncos is located immediately behind the glove box on the right side and is held on with a few torx bolts. The label includes P/N MU5T-14G650-FAG (mine was manufactured 17 Jan 2202, just one week prior to build-week). I cannot locate this P/N on any Ford parts site or on the Internet. Additional identifiers are FUBCH22017030822 and 1EG1IDQN, also no Internet record. Scanning the QR code yields "FUBCH22017030822MU5T 14G650 FAG." I have not yet removed the TCU to ensure that there is no removable SIM card, but everything I read says it's got an embedded SIM (eSIM, non-removable). Early eSIMs were encoded at manufacture and soldered at the same 8-points as a removable SIM but were not subject to later reprogramming. Newer eSIMs -- and, I am hoping, our TCU's -- are reprogrammable and many can accommodate multiple profiles. Technological changes have removed the requirement for soldering, so this is an all-electronic process, now.

My free AT&T 3-month/3GB trial is expiring. I am a T-Mobile Military customer (super-cheap, as in $120/mo for 6 lines), so I don't want to switch to AT&T as AT&T's $10/mo plan requires you have a postpaid phone account. That means AT&T wants $25/mo (optionally $200/yr) to continue as a prepaid customer without other AT&T postpaid phone lines. Eventually, AT&T offered me $15/mo for unlimited data without any sort of military or other discount (but stated my service, as with all data plans, "may slow after 22GB based on network demand"). I accepted this offer but I still want to switch my Bronco (and Yukon, which also has AT&T but is paid thru OnStar at the best available rate of $18.50/mo military) over to T-Mobile. Others may prefer Verizon Wireless -- but you are out of luck -- because our TCU frequency support is not generally not compatible with VZW's legacy CDMA network (although you may find limited band overlap and could get some service, just not reliable nationwide service).

I checked the specs on the TCU radio and it is compatible with most of T-Mobile 4G LTE bands. I called the Ford Technology Department at 800-392-3673, as listed on our AT&T vehicle subscriber page, and requested my MSISDN/MDN (phone number), IMEI, IMSI, and ICCID (aka SIM ID), all of which they provided (on legacy GSM networks, the MSISDN and MDN are the same, unlike legacy CDMA networks which can use a "shadow" number for the network). I called T-Mobile and provided the ICCID to port in my number, but they could not find it, which means it hasn't been released in the master database in the sky (similar to a porting lock). They offered to send me a SIM card based on my IMEI lookup (not locked), but I don't think our TCU's support a removable SIM (I'll let someone else crack theirs open, but the internal exploded views on the FCC submission, linked below, fail to identify a SIM tray). Because we own our Broncos and the TCU modems inside, there is no "carrier subsidy" that must be paid up before they "unlock my phone" by releasing the TCU's ICCID or IMEI.

So I called AT&T Technology again, and they didn't know anything about unlocking an ICCID. They sent me to AT&T Mobility, which could not open my account info (even with the passcode I asked AT&T Technology to set on my account...and they thought it was a business account and sent me there). AT&T Business couldn't open my account, either, so after more than an hour, total, I got transferred back to Technology, where the NICEST (but most unhelpful) AT&T rep told me I needed to go to the dealer to get my ICCID unlocked (perhaps it is true the dealer can reprogram the eSIM...but they definitely cannot unlock the existing one). So I gave up but received a call from her supervisor a few minutes later, who seemed to understand what I was requesting, said it was new to him, but he'd follow up internally and get back to me. Somewhere in there the AT&T rep also called OnStar for me and was able to get the MSISDN/MDN and ICCID that OnStar was initially unable to provide for my Yukon (OnStar provided the IMEI on the first call but still could not identify the IMSI). These numbers are all useful if your vehicle ever gets stolen (or someone is kidnapped with it) so law enforcement can track and locate the modem (i.e. phone), whether with carrier assistance (GPS and other multi-lateration) or via off-air intercept and direction-finding.

I checked my IMEI, which is 359 223 106 205 xxx (last 3 digits masked) on http://IMEIcheck.com, which yielded Brand: Ford Motor Company; Model: FB5-TCU-NA; Model Name: FNV2-TCU NA. Googling this yielded the Ford's FCC submission at https://fcc.report/FCC-ID/KMH-14H074-NA1. Other gee-whiz info at https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/thre...nit-tcu-location-fordpass-connect-modem.1735/ and https://marketplace.att.com/certified-devices and https://www.macheforum.com/site/threads/onboard-wifi-isn’t-really-2g-is-it.10231/.

Ford Bronco Changing TCU Data Carrier from AT&T to T-Mobile --> Almost There (need help) Label

Ford Bronco Changing TCU Data Carrier from AT&T to T-Mobile --> Almost There (need help) TCU (behind glove box on right passdenger wall)
Sponsored

Last edited:

Natai

Badlands
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Sentra, Mercedes GLC
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have nothing useful to add, but am following to see if anything gets figured out.

Reactions: Jdc

Lymoon

Wildtrak
First Name
Mo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Wish you figure it out. Good luck

sko

Badlands
First Name
Tomasz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
elantra, have dep on a badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Hmm. Interesting topic. Any updates on this? From a tmobile perspective we only need the imei to input and it'll auto-populate the eSim in the system for it to function, if you have settings in forscan for APN editing might be able to push the modem into working depending on Band availability. Still waiting on my bronco so I don't have access to how/what the setup is so difficult to have any insight. A work around if WIFI is fully integrated ( my elantra has this) is to use a syncup drive(external modem) into OBD and connect that way , but again not sure if that's an option.

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I don't know much, but I would think without a removable SIM, there is nothing you can do. Sort of like when Verizon used to have their own phones and you could not use them on any other network.

At this point wouldn't be easier just to turn one of your T-Mobile phones into the hotspot? They even sell individual hotspot devices. I mean sure it'd be nice if you could adjust the Bronco to the carrier you wish but ......

Sonny

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Sonny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Highly doubt they’re going to ship TCUs with an unlocked baseband. Even if you got past that, the APNs are probably not programmable, and the carrier cell tower data likely isn’t loadable. That’s assuming they even have all the bands turned on, which is highly questionable.
Sponsored