Sponsored

Anyone considered changing modem from 4g LTE to 5g?

steve_percy

Wildtrak
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Toyota Tundra 1794 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
It will be years until 5G is out to the masses. Just wait, or it is a waste of $$$.
Current 5G as sold is really rebranded 4g+, not actual 5G. Remember when 4G came out, and it really wasn't actual 4G until 4GLTE came out? Same thing....

Mike
Wrong, but sort of right. 5G is a communication standard, and those standards includes data speed requirements. Because those data speeds, depending on carrier and band and bandwidth, don't always meet the 5G performance (speed) standard, it might be fair to say 4G+ if focusing on speed, alone. But to be clear, the language (protocols and stacks) that 5G speaks to communicate is altogether different than the 4GLTE language. You want the 5G protocol if you can get it, as it's typically much faster at query and reply (lower ping) and is also offered in bands not currently utilized by 4GLTE (e.g. microwave, meaning 3GHz and above...faster throughput, less distance and structural penetration).
Sponsored

mikedege

Black Diamond
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick, Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Wrong, but sort of right. 5G is a communication standard, and those standards includes data speed requirements. Because those data speeds, depending on carrier and band and bandwidth, don't always meet the 5G performance (speed) standard, it might be fair to say 4G+ if focusing on speed, alone. But to be clear, the language (protocols and stacks) that 5G speaks to communicate is altogether different than the 4GLTE language. You want the 5G protocol if you can get it, as it's typically much faster at query and reply (lower ping) and is also offered in bands not currently utilized by 4GLTE (e.g. microwave, meaning 3GHz and above...faster throughput, less distance and structural penetration).

So am I wrong or right? ;)

My point is, for example, ATT's 5Ge is really 4GLTE. "5GE stands for “5G Evolution,” and essentially refers to AT&T's best 4G networks. It's a misleading name, and if you see it on your phone, it basically means that you're connected to a 4G LTE network."

4G has a peak of around 1 GB per second. 5G peaks around 20GB ps. Just run a speedtest on your 5G phone and that will usually confirm most connections are not true 5G, but 4GLTE branded as 5G.

But at least they sold that fancy 5G phone, that you cant take advantage of quite yet in most places. Its gonna be a while folks.

Mike

Designkid

Badlands
First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So am I wrong or right? ;)

My point is, for example, ATT's 5Ge is really 4GLTE. "5GE stands for “5G Evolution,” and essentially refers to AT&T's best 4G networks. It's a misleading name, and if you see it on your phone, it basically means that you're connected to a 4G LTE network."

4G has a peak of around 1 GB per second. 5G peaks around 20GB ps. Just run a speedtest on your 5G phone and that will usually confirm most connections are not true 5G, but 4GLTE branded as 5G.

But at least they sold that fancy 5G phone, that you cant take advantage of quite yet in most places. Its gonna be a while folks.

Mike
Thats because you’re using a shit service in AT&T and their so called “5G” service coverage area so they don’t look like crap compared to the other two. I use T-Mobile and usually in their 5G UWB network. I usually see over 400mbps on speed tests

mikedege

Black Diamond
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Thats because you’re using a shit service in AT&T and their so called “5G” service coverage area so they don’t look like crap compared to the other two. I use T-Mobile and usually in their 5G UWB network. I usually see over 400mbps on speed tests

FWIW, I dont use ATT.
Also, 400mbps is not 5G speeds(even though your phone tells you so).
That's my point.

Mike

Sponsored

sko

Badlands
First Name
Tomasz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
elantra, have dep on a badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

That's strictly an ATT thing, they did it when 4g came out, its iconed as 5Ge, its just rebranded 4g lte thats true, Ver, Tmo dont do this. Bands( frequencies) are a function of the modem which is part of the CPU, no way to upgrade that.
4g, lte, 5g are like speed ratings on tires, they are baselines, within those are different technologies and Bands that offer connectivity low band, mid band, high band and millimeter wave(mmv).

It will be years until 5G is out to the masses. Just wait, or it is a waste of $$$.
Current 5G as sold is really rebranded 4g+, not actual 5G. Remember when 4G came out, and it really wasn't actual 4G until 4GLTE came out? Same thing....

Mike

mikedege

Black Diamond
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
That's strictly an ATT thing, they did it when 4g came out, its iconed as 5Ge, its just rebranded 4g lte thats true, Ver, Tmo dont do this. Bands( frequencies) are a function of the modem which is part of the CPU, no way to upgrade that.
4g, lte, 5g are like speed ratings on tires, they are baselines, within those are different technologies and Bands that offer connectivity low band, mid band, high band and millimeter wave(mmv).

Yup, but even Ver and Tmobile are using low band, which isnt a huge jump from 4G in speed like they sell it. But eventually we will get there, in a few years.

Mike

Rspayde

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 C/O Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I just have to hop in here and thank the heavens I no longer work in Telecom because these used to be arguments I had for fun

• Haha
Reactions: 0ne

xusarmy

Outer Banks
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Outer Banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

So I use the built in AT&T cellular modem / hotspot a lot for my kids, costs like 20 a month or whatever. I was curious if anyone has found a method for upgrading the modem from 4g to 5g to get better data speeds?
How I wish I could throw in a valid SIM card from any carrier and it work. @Ford Motor Company make that work. I live in a town that my wireless AT&T sucks, literally if you look at the coverage map, my street seems to be singled out.

sko

Badlands
First Name
Tomasz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
elantra, have dep on a badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Yup, but even Ver and Tmobile are using low band, which isnt a huge jump from 4G in speed like they sell it. But eventually we will get there, in a few years.

Mike
Verizon has mmw and low band.

Tmo has low band, mid band, high band/mmw. (Spent $15 billion on the spectrum from FCC)

These switch based upon circumstance. Mmw is extremely fast , but only has range of a couple hundred yards and requires no obstacles in its path (windows, etc) mid band is slower but goes further, low band has the most range and goes through the most obstacles; tradeoff is speed.

Sponsored

airforceteacher

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW sedan, Eruption Green OBX on order
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
That's good to hear.

So there is, in fact, a very good chance that before 4G is phased out, there will be an upgrade to allow our Broncos to operate on 5G or something later, then.

Any word on pricing for the extant upgrades that you've mentioned for other vehicles?
When my old modem went EOL in my BMW, it was replaced for free, but I can’t remember if that was for everyone or only because it was still under CPO warranty.

North7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

It makes me happy to see her cutting the tywraps off flush, not all willy nilly like an animal.
Bingo, I only use flush cutting side cutters to trim the tail off of tywraps. I've had to many cuts from people that did not know better.

11952-01.jpg

Karenballen

First Name
Karen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Focus
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
The thread is quite old and I just wanna add that upgrading your modem from 4G to 5G could indeed provide better data speeds. If you're still interested, here's what you can do: First, check with your current provider to see if they offer 5G modem options. Contact them or visit their website to explore the devices they have available. It might involve getting a new plan or paying an upgrade fee, but it could be worth it for those faster speeds. By the way, if you were concerned about electromagnetic radiation back then, exploring faraday clothes could have provided some peace of mind. They offer clothing designed to protect against EMF exposure.

Last edited:

SilverSurfer

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black Diamond 4dr MIC
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Is there a benefit to using the vehicle's cellular connection over just letting them use your cell phone as a hot spot? I think I pay $10/month to allow using my phone as a hot spot.
Sponsored