Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Volkswagen Tiguan
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I feel like the options out there for pinch weld covers aren't too expensive, but would rather figure out a DIY option. I was thinking a plastic trim piece would be fine with holes drilled to match. Anyone do an DIY projects to cover it up?
Sponsored

Amcole1984

Big Bend
First Name
Amber
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 door Bronco Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I feel like the options out there for pinch weld covers aren't too expensive, but would rather figure out a DIY option. I was thinking a plastic trim piece would be fine with holes drilled to match. Anyone do an DIY projects to cover it up?
I used this. It fits perfect.
Dawn Enterprises, Inc. ES12618-PK Universal Fit Matte Black Body Side Molding Trim Pack 18' Protection for Cars, Trucks, Vans, and More https://a.co/d/214H80U

OP
OP
Offroad Newb

Offroad Newb

Badlands
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Volkswagen Tiguan
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I used this. It fits perfect.
Dawn Enterprises, Inc. ES12618-PK Universal Fit Matte Black Body Side Molding Trim Pack 18' Protection for Cars, Trucks, Vans, and More https://a.co/d/214H80U
Nice! Yeah that is along the lines of what I was thinking.

Beach_Bum

Black Diamond
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Black Diamond Bronco, 2023 Outerbanks Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Wurth High Build Undercoating is what I would recommend. Most products out to address the pinch welds only cover the area and are purely cosmetic. They have the inherent issue of trapping salt, dirt, debris. Whereas if you mask off the area from overspray and apply an actual undercoating like Wurth High Build Undercoating, you'll not only cosmetically hide the pinch welds, but you won't have to worry about adhesive failing or worse trapping corrosive elements.

Sponsored

Rkgzx9leftcoast

Base
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Im in the Desert South West, but I just taped off, scuffed it with some 220 grit , and painted it with Krylon flat black. I have GOAT Fab sliders which hide most of it. Ive had no issues at all, self car wash sprayer and all???

MK0412

Wildtrak
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Accord and Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I agree. Was originally looking at a pinch cover but decided again it. I will bring it to a coating company to be completed because I don't want to do it myself. Assuming they'll remove the OEM tube steps to complete the work.

Wurth High Build Undercoating is what I would recommend. Most products out to address the pinch welds only cover the area and are purely cosmetic. They have the inherent issue of trapping salt, dirt, debris. Whereas if you mask off the area from overspray and apply an actual undercoating like Wurth High Build Undercoating, you'll not only cosmetically hide the pinch welds, but you won't have to worry about adhesive failing or worse trapping corrosive elements.

Beach_Bum

Black Diamond
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Black Diamond Bronco, 2023 Outerbanks Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I agree. Was originally looking at a pinch cover but decided again it. I will bring it to a coating company to be completed because I don't want to do it myself. Assuming they'll remove the OEM tube steps to complete the work.
Some are just metal covers that bolt up and some are adhesive backed plastic trim. But they both will trap elements that promote corrosion. Some have suggested a simple black spray paint option that does visually obscure the pinch weld. But to take it one step further, one should use a product like I suggested. It is meant to take the abuse of dirt/debris from hitting it while also visually obscuring the target area. Take off the steps and thoroughly mask the area you don't want covered.

KRAKEN

Black Diamond
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2 DOOR BRONCO, 2014 F150 XLT, 2006 F150 FX4
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Rattle can bedliner.

OP
OP
Offroad Newb

Offroad Newb

Badlands
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Volkswagen Tiguan
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Some are just metal covers that bolt up and some are adhesive backed plastic trim. But they both will trap elements that promote corrosion. Some have suggested a simple black spray paint option that does visually obscure the pinch weld. But to take it one step further, one should use a product like I suggested. It is meant to take the abuse of dirt/debris from hitting it while also visually obscuring the target area. Take off the steps and thoroughly mask the area you don't want covered.
I was hesitant to add something permanent but you make solid points. Will definitely go this route instead of the bolt on parts.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Offroad Newb

Offroad Newb

Badlands
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Volkswagen Tiguan
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I just used rattle can bed liner and plastic plugs from Amazon.

Ford Bronco Anyone DIY a pinch weld cover? 2fQA3Hy

Did you spray the frame too? Hard to tell but it looks like you might have.

01tundra

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Toyota Tacoma / 2021 Nissan Titan XD
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Did you spray the frame too? Hard to tell but it looks like you might have.
Not intentionally, just the pinch welds prior to installing the RCI sliders.

But they likely caught some overspray.

mC.242

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Big Bend 4dr (sold)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
You can always try my zero cost / zero time solution: Just stop looking at it and eventually you will forget about it and not care anyway.
Sponsored