Sponsored

Anyone else wish there were normally aspirated engine options?

Havoc1

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
07 F250, 20 Accord Sport, 21 HD
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

No one except the people in the Glass house, they are going electric. Ford pulled the v6 diesel from the f150. Plenty of options in non US vehicles but only the superduty has a diesel for US retail.
Point is, it's possible and proven possible.

Manufacturers play to the masses, Pontiac and Buick are testament to that. Diesel sales numbers were not there and only getting lower as the years progressed compared to alternative fueled vehicles in the U.S.

Honestly if diesel prices were similar to what they are in, literally anywhere outside the U.S. this would be a different story. Also the emissions laws in Europe are much more strict. If it's possible there, it'll be possible here. It's the safety standards that keeps most cars there.
Sponsored

JoshuaPrieto

Big Bend
First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 2022 Explorer, 2022 F-150
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I truly wish there was... the 2.3l and 2.7l Ecoboosts are reliable... but an entry level v6/v8 could have alleviated a ton of production issues maybe, we'll never know for sure of course - as most of the issues are pertaining to semi-conductors that are related to the amount of safety technology in the vehicle.

The issue is the plant is not prepared to use the 3.3l v6 that Ford offers on the F-150, but it wouldn't be a bad option to have. Also, towing! The low end torque output of that motor would basically make the Bronco a mule at getting up to speed and sluggish at towing.

JoeSpeed

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2dr 2.3 Manual
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Could a Cyclone fit in our beasts?

Enginerd39

Badlands
First Name
Devin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda3
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
*naturally aspirated, not normally aspirated. Sorry, that one bothered me.

Honestly, it seems like the turbos add more zip and have the benefit of better fuel economy too. Doesn't seem like many people take turbos off their car, but a lot of people do add them on. Biggest drawback to turbos is the lag, but modern engines have gotten so good at managing it that it's almost nonexistent.

Wanted33

Outer Banks
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 2019 Wrangler, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Oh, oh, me, me.............................Truthfully I just don't get the allure of these small turbo engines. Sure they have the HP, and the torque, but they aren't that great with the gas mileage. And, can be much worse. I have a 2.3L Ranger, and it gets the posted 26 mpgs on the highway. But, my 3.6L NA Jeep Wranger Unlimited will get 24.5 on the highway running 285 KO2's. It would do 25 with the 255 Bridgstones that came on it. You put bigger tires on the Ranger, and the mpgs drop like a rock.

That 3.6L may not have the hp/torque of the 2.3L, but it does everything I need without any grumbles.

Disclaimer: This is my opinion, and my opinion alone. I really don't need anyone to tell me that I'm too stupid to live.

Sponsored

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 88 Bronco II, 03 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Not for a minute. A NA V6 is by far my least favorite engine config. I could get behind a NA L6, but again it would be better off as a smaller turbo L6.

Havoc1

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
07 F250, 20 Accord Sport, 21 HD
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

*naturally aspirated, not normally aspirated. Sorry, that one bothered me.
Same, but I started caring more about the people giving out wrong/bad info than "small things". Still almost had a stroke trying not to correct it lol

JediMcMuffin

Badlands
First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

We traded my wife's 2017 Explorer with the 3.5L V6 in for a 2021 with the 2.3L Turbo, night and day difference I would never go back to the old one.

Nateandapril

Badlands
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badlands non Sas Area 51
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I would like to have seen an NA engine as well. I am not a Ford native so I don’t know what the options would be. Would also be cool to see a diesel option

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
... I notice even Jeep is forcing customers to the 2.0T, as the 3.6L is only available with manual transmission.
Hmm, that's news to me. I'm pretty sure Wrangler is available with the 3.6L/auto combo, unless something has changed.

Sponsored

AZ_Liberty

Base
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Base
Getting 19mpg in a 5.4 Expedition is the top 5% of the expected outcome, definitely a huge outlier. Driving a 2.7 in the same manner would net you well into the mid-20s.
It only gets 19 in pure freeway driving. Actually a hair better. Set the cruise at 83. In town it's 15.9-16.2 but "in town" in Phoenix means a mix of section line roads and some freeway driving, usually under 80.

The 2.7 in the F-150 gets about 17.8 or so in the same conditions, and about 21 in pure freeway driving. It actually gets the best mileage in Sport mode on section line roads (3 lanes each way, normally posted at 45) and will get 23 or so if you can hit every light green, which you do by putting in in cruze at about 50.

So, the F-150 with the 2.7 does get better mileage, but only by a hair, and it weighs 15-1700 lbs less.

Edit to add: both the Expy and F-150 are 2 wheel drive. The 4x4 Expy I had before this one got about 15.2 in town, and 17.5 on the freeway.

Last edited:

Techun

Black Diamond
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BD, 2.7, MIC, 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
5000lbs empty and a NA v6 would be a dog to drive around

wetdog

Base
First Name
Bruno
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jl
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I think the newer crowd embrace the turbo and complex engine systems,the older school group prefer simplicity and larger displacement.
I'm somewhere in the middle but dang those are ugly underhood.

atimberwolf

Black Diamond
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Fine, if expensive gas dont matter, what about the torque rise then???

N/A engines are laughably prehistoric now. So funny when I read these boo-a-hoo posts.

I'm the guy that sent ford letters and drawings when I was a kid, 35 yrs ago telling them to put a 2.7 twin turbo in a Bronco production vehicle, along with multi-speed trans and 20" of wheel travel. I still have the old drawings around somewhere...
Don't underestimate the value of sending a letter to a CEO of big companies.
( I also called hummer and helped light a fire under their asses to get the civilian version of the H1 produced.)

Now that the twin turboed, twin injected, engines finally here I'm flabbergasted that they actually built it!
These are the engines car and driver magazine was dreaming of 30 yrs ago, with the editors explaining back then how it would some day all be possible and affordable!
Fantastic little engine that makes as much power per CC as porsche!

Turbos last and last. The bugs were worked out when we were in diapers by our forefathers.

So NO, I wouldn't even have bought a bronco if it was N/A antiquated engine.

Your making an assumption. I'm not boo-hooing, I'm the kind of guy that's been blessed and doesn't care about MPGs. Don't care about CAFE, and certainly am unimpressed with a low grade turbo engine. Some of us actually find the music from a big 8 enjoyable. Sure beats the pffft sound from a BOV.

I got the Bronco for it's fun factor off road and topless. I knew up front it will be a turtle on the road.
Sponsored