Sponsored

Anyone have any insight on how the parking brake works…regarding a brake lock for winching

PEGB

Badlands
First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Eruption Green Badlands Sasquatch Hardtop 4 door
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
So, I’ve finally gotten my winch installed and of course, I can’t leave good enough alone. I got to thinking about and researching recommended techniques to do a winch recovery on someone else’s vehicle using my winch. The consensus is winching vehicle in neutral, foot on the brake. Then I read an interesting post from a veteran Marine who was assigned recovery’s during his service. Long and short, he recommended using a bar clamp on the brake pedal as the cab of the vehicle is a dangerous place if equipment failed during the recovery. He also said it allowed a better viewing angle of the recovery being outside the vehicle. Well, that didn’t exactly seem completely safe (bar clamp), and somehow I got reading about “Brake Locks” often used in drag racing I guess, but also some off-roaders use them to lock up their brakes for recovery. Well, now my question:

Does the Bronco electronic parking brake only lock the back tires? Seems a viable option if it actually locks all four. Now the real crazy question lol. Some have reported successfully using Forscan to activate the Auto Hold on their Bronco’s. Anyone know if that works in neutral? What are the details on how that feature works? Does it lock all four tires? Would it work in neutral in combination with the parking brake during a recovery?

I’m aware of the various snatch strap vs. tow stap vs. winch recommendations (debates). I’m just curious if perhaps already present features on the Bronco can be used so I don’t have to buy and install yet another gadget. I actually like the concept of being outside the vehicle during the recovery for the reasons I already stated. Might be a little safer, and certainly enable you to be cognizant of changing variables.

Thanks for any thoughts.
Sponsored

MileHighCitizen

Badlands
First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco 2D 2.7
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Marine Vet here, was he talking about recovering vehicles in theatre? Cause he might have meant the danger of being a sitting target.

I did a few recovery ops and the smallest vehicle we were recovering was a HMMWV which isn’t small at all. The MotorT guys would usually bring a 5-ton Wrecker that is designed to be operated from outside. HMMWVs don’t have winches in the USMC, so he must have been using a tow bar, which is a different dynamic all together as there is no slack if it starts to roll down an embankment.

However the cab of your Bronco is the safest place to be if the winch line snaps. [edit* Compared to standing next to the winch if you don't have a bluetooth setup.]

Or do you mean a self-recovery

either way, the e-brake only locks 1 rear tire. [edit* it grabs both on the Bronco, still not safe to use them for winching.]

Last edited:

userdude

Badlands
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2dr Badsquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

However the cab of your Bronco is the safest place to be if the winch line snaps.
"However the cab of your Bronco is the safest place to be if the winch line snaps (if you can't leave the kill zone)."

Wouldn't that be more accurate, and why there are remotes and cables etc? Maybe you're protected from a whipping cable, but not from a flying projectile, as Popo Patty can attest. I guess unless you duck under the dashboard.

Dmorty217

Black Diamond
First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Camery
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
You don’t want to be in the vehicle when recovering your vehicle or someone else’s. There was recently a video where the winch line broke (not sure if it was metal or synthetic) but it came right thru the windshield on the driver side. Great way to end up in the hospital or worse.

MileHighCitizen

Badlands
First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco 2D 2.7
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
"However the cab of your Bronco is the safest place to be if the winch line snaps (if you can't leave the kill zone)."

Wouldn't that be more accurate, and why there are remotes and cables etc? Maybe you're protected from a whipping cable, but not from a flying projectile, as Popo Patty can attest. I guess unless you duck under the dashboard.
Obviously if you can be 2 miles away that is safer. But in reality you’re gonna have to be somewhere, and if you’re by yourself you gotta see what’s going on and manipulate the brakes.
I was answering his question not giving a class on the safest way to recover a truck.

Sponsored

MileHighCitizen

Badlands
First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco 2D 2.7
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
You don’t want to be in the vehicle when recovering your vehicle or someone else’s. There was recently a video where the winch line broke (not sure if it was metal or synthetic) but it came right thru the windshield on the driver side. Great way to end up in the hospital or worse.
Given the alternative of standing a few feet from the bumper next to the winch it is definitely safer.

if you have a bluetooth setup and can stand behind a tree then do that, but the control cord on a winch only reaches so far.

We can all imagine scenarios where something goes wrong, but you have to operate the winch, see what's happening, and if alone, manipulate the gas/brakes. There is no way around that.

If you're that worried about something breaking, then duck your head behind the dash, that's much safer that standing in the open.

userdude

Badlands
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2dr Badsquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Obviously if you can be 2 miles away that is safer. But in reality you’re gonna have to be somewhere, and if you’re by yourself you gotta see what’s going on and manipulate the brakes.
I was answering his question not giving a class on the safest way to recover a truck.
Out of the kill zone isn't two miles away. Nothing was said about a class either. You gave advice and I said there's a big caveat: If you have no choice but to be in the cab, sure, but it's the second best out of two good options (the other being sufficiently away not to get hit).

Last edited:

MileHighCitizen

Badlands
First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco 2D 2.7
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Out of the kill zone isn't two miles away. Nothing was said about a class either. You gave advice and I said there's a big caveat: If you have no choice but to be in the cab, sure, but it's the second best out of two options (the other being sufficiently away not to get hit).
It feels like you're just being argumentative by stating the obvious. Most winches have a corded control that only reach a few feet. Im saying that operating it from the cab is safer that standing in the open next to the bumper near the winch.

userdude

Badlands
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2dr Badsquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It feels like you're just being argumentative by stating the obvious. Most winches have a corded control that only reach a few feet. Im saying that operating it from the cab is safer that standing in the open next to the bumper near the winch.
I guess maybe the two professional recoveries and the enthusiast I helped out had special gear, because they were further away than a couple feet and none of them were in their cab (and they all made sure everyone was farther away). I feel like I stated an obvious addendum and you replied in a snarky DGAF way, then claimed I'm being argumentative. The point has been hashed out, so let's just let it go.

Dmorty217

Black Diamond
First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Camery
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Good news is we all have a choice to make when this happens to us and you can either be outside of the vehicle or in the driver seat, to each their own.

Sponsored

Desert_Brush

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mini Cooper
Your Bronco Model
Base
Pretty sure there was a fatality in that one. It's posted on this forum somewhere.

Oldhippie

Big Bend
First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW X1, ‘1928 model A, “23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Amazing how fast this got off subject…how do you keep your bronco from moving while winching someone? I just throw it in park in 4wd/low…probably should also set the e-brake…

Last edited:

userdude

Badlands
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2dr Badsquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Pretty sure there was a fatality in that one. It's posted on this forum somewhere.
There was a report by NHTSA I believe on the fatality from a tow hitch going through a pickup truck's window, killing the guy who was helping; that was like 2007? I think the one mentioned in that comment was Popo Patty's near death experience a couple months back, that was also a kinetic rope and not a winch.

userdude

Badlands
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2dr Badsquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Amazing how fast this got off subject…how do you keep your bronco from moving while winching someone? I just throw it in park in 4wd/low…probably should also set the e-brake…
The OP didn't specify, but when self-winching that may be a thing. I guess if you just left it in neutral it might roll away.

Brian_B

Big Bend
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 BB 4dr 7MT, '22 BSport OBX, '87 B-II XL
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

@popo_patty has a good recovery video from this winter where he nearly took his head off sitting in the vehicle to be recovered.

Parking brake is just rear wheels though.
Sponsored