Compta38

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
When I take mine in for it's first oil change/rotation I'll have black lug nuts installed and tell them to throw away that cheap 2 piece garbage that's on it now.

jacknifetoaswan

Wildtrak
First Name
JR
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/PP
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Why didn't they put black on black to begin with, or at least give the option?
Because Ford makes generally bad decisions about lug nuts, and has for years. They're still using the shitty two-piece lugs that have failed for at least the last two decades (I believe there's a class action lawsuit about them). My 2016 Mustang GT came with black wheels and silver two-piece lugs, as well as silver GT badges. I replaced them with black Gorilla lugs and black badges. Same with my Wildtrak.

JR

Geronimo

Badlands
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma, Bronco Badlands Sad on order!
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Because Ford makes generally bad decisions about lug nuts, and has for years. They're still using the shitty two-piece lugs that have failed for at least the last two decades (I believe there's a class action lawsuit about them). My 2016 Mustang GT came with black wheels and silver two-piece lugs, as well as silver GT badges. I replaced them with black Gorilla lugs and black badges. Same with my Wildtrak.

JR
You would think for the amount of money that Ford is paying these probably highly educated individuals, they would make better more basic common sense decisions. I guess common sense doesn't run strong in the highly educated.🫤

Sponsored

Beach_Bum

Black Diamond
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Black Diamond Bronco, 2023 Outerbanks Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

When I take mine in for it's first oil change/rotation I'll have black lug nuts installed and tell them to throw away that cheap 2 piece garbage that's on it now.
Careful. I did the same figuring it would be no additional charge as the tire rotation was included in the "Works" oil change package. They charged $24 to handle the supplied lugs. I figured they would have to handle lugs in any case for the rotation, so it wouldn't matter whether the lugs were the OEM 2-piece junk or my supplied black lugs. If I had known there would have been a charge, I would have just had the free rotation done with the included "Works" package and then swapped the lugs myself at home.

jacknifetoaswan

Wildtrak
First Name
JR
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/PP
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
You would think for the amount of money that Ford is paying these probably highly educated individuals, they would make better more basic common sense decisions. I guess common sense doesn't run strong in the highly educated.🫤
It's the beancounters. $1 saved across 3m sets of lugs is a lot of money.

JR

Geronimo

Badlands
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Careful. I did the same figuring it would be no additional charge as the tire rotation was included in the "Works" oil change package. They charged $24 to handle the supplied lugs. I figured they would have to handle lugs in any case for the rotation, so it wouldn't matter whether the lugs were the OEM 2-piece junk or my supplied black lugs. If I had known there would have been a charge, I would have just had the free rotation done with the included "Works" package and then swapped the lugs myself at home.
That's BS. I would have called them out on that. Maybe it took 5 minutes to unpackage them.🤣

Jmschultz22

Wildtrak
First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Chevrolet Impala, 2017 Ford Explorer,
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Why didn't they put black on black to begin with, or at least give the option?
Who knows, right? Maybe because the WildTrak and First Editions were the only units that ship with black beauty rings?

Had to do the same lug nut update to my Wife's Expedition Timberline as well.

Beach_Bum

Black Diamond
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Black Diamond Bronco, 2023 Outerbanks Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

That's BS. I would have called them out on that. Maybe it took 5 minutes to unpackage them.🤣
Not even 5 minutes. The lugs were in a box. They just had to grab one for each 2-piece junk they would have used. It was just a footnote for an overall disappointing experience. If it wasn't for the FordPass points to use, I would have done the work myself. In the future, I will. So ultimately, their nickle/dime on handling my supplied lugs will cost them in the long run.

Sponsored

KABQ

Base
First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'93 4Runner, '84 Vanagon, '93 Miata, '14 LittleGuy
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I went with the set (of 27) from CJ Pony Parts as well, but I did the Spline drive. I figured it would be the minimal deterrent for the unprepared thief - esp the Spare. They look great and have held up well.
I did these as well, but I don't really like how much smaller the cone diameter is. Hopefully it doesn't result in higher stress on the wheel in high off-camber situations off road.

Anyone else share this concern, or is it just me?

PXL_20230212_203244586.jpg

Geronimo

Badlands
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I did these as well, but I don't really like how much smaller the cone diameter is. Hopefully it doesn't result in higher stress on the wheel in high off-camber situations off road.

Anyone else share this concern, or is it just me?

Ford Bronco Anyone install black lug nuts? PXL_20230212_203244586
I believe that I am going to have a similar concern with the ones that I ordered but have not received yet.🤔

Mishimoto

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
fwiw they send 27, 7 of them are their locking lug, so I put 5 of the regular on each wheel, plus 1 lock, and then used 3 locking lugs on the spare. Not sure why they bundle it this way, but it's what worked for me.
Hey @SubmarineNuke - thanks for the positive feedback. You hit the nail on the head.

We wanted to include 3 locking lugs for the spare to reduce the risk of someone easily removing your spare. Photo'd below are the red colorway, but we also have these in blue, neo-chrome, red, silver, and black.

Ford Bronco Anyone install black lug nuts? MMLG-15-27-Packaging_3

Ford Bronco Anyone install black lug nuts? MMLG-15-27-Packaging_4

- John P

Sherminiator

Big Bend
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I never knew how bad Ford's lugnuts where till I started working on my wife's 2017 Escape and my 2010 Fusion hold me over till the Bronco comes in I had...then I realized that I paid extra for locking wheel nuts on my cars (2002 SVT Focus, 2006 Mustang GT and 2013 SHO) that where made by McGuard that are far better then what Ford has been using.

When I get around to chaning my wheels out on the Bronco, I'll look at getting new lugnuts.

El Bronco Blanco

Wildtrak
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Explorer XLT, 2021 Mazda CX-9
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Hey @SubmarineNuke - thanks for the positive feedback. You hit the nail on the head.

We wanted to include 3 locking lugs for the spare to reduce the risk of someone easily removing your spare. Photo'd below are the red colorway, but we also have these in blue, neo-chrome, red, silver, and black.

- John P
Got a link to these sets?

Thanks!
Sponsored