Sponsored

Anyone has black lug nuts on black steelies?

gorgin4325

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 6-Speed
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Hi guys,

I bought McGard lugnuts for my BD steelies and they do not hold the plastic center cap in place. I will have to return them.

Has anyone here tried putting black lugnuts on black steelies? If so, what brand did you go with?

Thank you,
Sponsored

Beach_Bum

Black Diamond
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Black Diamond Bronco, 2023 Outerbanks Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I have black 1-piece lugs that are on my BD steelies. No problem holding the center hub cap. Not sure on brand as I bought them on Amazon for Ranger fitment before the Bronco was listed as an approved vehicle for fitment. Purchased way before I received my Bronco I guess about a year ago.

Edit: Just checked the box that is holding the OEM lugs that were replaced with the black lugs. It says Lichamp.

OP
OP
gorgin4325

gorgin4325

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 6-Speed
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I have black 1-piece lugs that are on my BD steelies. No problem holding the center hub cap. Not sure on brand as I bought them on Amazon for Ranger fitment before the Bronco was listed as an approved vehicle for fitment. Purchased way before I received my Bronco I guess about a year ago.

Edit: Just checked the box that is holding the OEM lugs that were replaced with the black lugs. It says Lichamp.
Thank you. Is it this one? They seem really inexpensive compared to others. I wonder why that is...

Ford Bronco Anyone has black lug nuts on black steelies? Screenshot 2022-11-20 at 11.26.34 AM

Headsong

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Black Diamond non squatch 4 door softtop v6
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Took me the tries. Don't know which won won.

Beach_Bum

Black Diamond
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Thank you. Is it this one? They seem really inexpensive compared to others. I wonder why that is...

Ford Bronco Anyone has black lug nuts on black steelies? Screenshot 2022-11-20 at 11.26.34 AM
Looks like them. Not sure why they are so "cheap". They are solid one piece. Check to see if they that specific screenshot item fits the Ranger. Buy 2 boxes. Mine have been swapped out when I rotated the tires a 1000 miles ago. Does what I expect a lug nut to do.

Sponsored
OP
OP
gorgin4325

gorgin4325

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 6-Speed
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Ford Bronco Anyone has black lug nuts on black steelies? 41PwtyeZIrS._AC_SL1000_
I can confirm that these work on the OEM black steelies. The center cap is held in place, but there is a slight movement. I would say slightly more than with the stock lugnuts. So far so good.

Beach_Bum

Black Diamond
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I can confirm that these work on the OEM black steelies. The center cap is held in place, but there is a slight movement. I would say slightly more than with the stock lugnuts. So far so good.
It was good that you bumped this thread. I commented earlier and then someone said that they were the wrong ones (bulge/cone seat). I checked then and they are the same as the OEM with slight difference on the "lip" of the bulge.

I'll have to take photos for comparison with the OEM and the Amazon Lichamp specials. They look like a 99.9% match. My only complaint is the gloss black is just a hint different than the gloss black steel wheel. Not that noticeable from 5' away. I only notice it when I'm right up to the wheel and in the right light.

As you said there is slight movement on the center cap. But the cap stays locked in. I've had mine on since my tire rotation and the caps aren't flying off like ninja stars. And I just went around to re-tighten as I'm preparing for a large trip and none budged.

OP
OP
gorgin4325

gorgin4325

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 6-Speed
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

It was good that you bumped this thread. I commented earlier and then someone said that they were the wrong ones (bulge/cone seat). I checked then and they are the same as the OEM with slight difference on the "lip" of the bulge.

I'll have to take photos for comparison with the OEM and the Amazon Lichamp specials. They look like a 99.9% match. My only complaint is the gloss black is just a hint different than the gloss black steel wheel. Not that noticeable from 5' away. I only notice it when I'm right up to the wheel and in the right light.

As you said there is slight movement on the center cap. But the cap stays locked in. I've had mine on since my tire rotation and the caps aren't flying off like ninja stars. And I just went around to re-tighten as I'm preparing for a large trip and none budged.
I didn't even notice the color difference! What I did notice was some rust on the original lugnuts. My car is 2 weeks old! So when I installed the black ones today, I put a couple of drops of triflow on my fingers and rubbed them on all the new lugnuts, hoping they would not rust as quickly as the original ones!

One more thing to mention about the Amazon ones. One set will not complete all 5 wheels. I got a set from Amazon and a set of 5 locking ones from McGard. My spare tire still has 2 of the originals, but since I have a spare tire cover, it is not important. I did add a locking lugnut to the spare though.

Sponsored

Beach_Bum

Black Diamond
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I didn't even notice the color difference! What I did notice was some rust on the original lugnuts. My car is 2 weeks old! So when I installed the black ones today, I put a couple of drops of triflow on my fingers and rubbed them on all the new lugnuts, hoping they would not rust as quickly as the original ones!

One more thing to mention about the Amazon ones. One set will not complete all 5 wheels. I got a set from Amazon and a set of 5 locking ones from McGard. My spare tire still has 2 of the originals, but since I have a spare tire cover, it is not important. I did add a locking lugnut to the spare though.
I thought I mentioned that 2 boxes would be needed in my earlier comment. :unsure: I'm not bothering with locks. No one wants to steal the steelies and I can buy a set of takeoffs cheap enough.

OP
OP
gorgin4325

gorgin4325

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 6-Speed
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I thought I mentioned that 2 boxes would be needed in my earlier comment. :unsure: I'm not bothering with locks. No one wants to steal the steelies and I can buy a set of takeoffs cheap enough.
Agreed! Not necessary, but I'm glad I got them. Does the movement in the center cap bother you? I was thinking of modifying it somehow, but haven't come up with a solution yet.

Beach_Bum

Black Diamond
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Agreed! Not necessary, but I'm glad I got them. Does the movement in the center cap bother you? I was thinking of modifying it somehow, but haven't come up with a solution yet.
It's odd. There is only slight movement on 2 of the caps. And of the 2 that have slight movement, there is one that is more noticeable than the other. Even still, it is just the very slightest of movement. The caps aren't going to become ninja flying stars. On two of the other caps, there is zero movement.

The end of the day, it doesn't bother me to try and figure it out. I just care that the wheel isn't going to come off and the cap stays in place while matching the wheel color 99.9% of the way.

Headsong

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Black Diamond non squatch 4 door softtop v6
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I've got slight movement, too, but it doesn't bother me. I was concerned they might rattle, but they don't.

redone17

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Pics or it didn’t happen.

I’m just hoping the heritage dog dish fit the Black Diamond steelies…then it won’t matter.
Sponsored