RainbowStix

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
What the thread title says. Long story short, I messed up the install of a tailgate reinforcement where my tailgate basically fell out of alignment once I undid the hinge bolts (thanks Texas Complete Bronco for zero instructions). I had shimmed it just in case but it fell ever so slightly out of alignment anyways. Iā€™ve been trying to lift it up to get it back but I think Iā€™m just going to have to unlatch it from the striker, and completely remove it to hold it in place at an opened angle now.

so I unlatched it from the striker, butā€¦

However, when I try to lift it back into place now, it almost feels and looks like itā€™s not moving at all and Iā€™m not exactly a weak guy. So either something else is holding it (like the back soft top window) where Iā€™m not supposed to bruteforce it out or this thing is deceivingly heavy at >200lbs and Iā€™m gonna need to have a friend over:ROFLMAO:

truck tailgates weigh almost nothing which makes me wonder if somethings up here!
Sponsored

Lifeliberty

Base
First Name
MoonbeamšŸ‘€
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
93CBR900RR, (prior)88 Bronco Manual 4.9L str 6
Your Bronco Model
Base
You need to unhook the strut. It puts pressure on the tailgate, makes it hard to put the gate back.

I'd say the tailgate is maybe 30/40 lbs, VERY light.

When installing the reinforcement bracket on mine, let's just say at one point i was holding the tailgate with my left arm and screwing in the bolts with my right hand, all messed up, lol. I had it shimmed too, but the bolts wouldn't line up the way it was sitting. I had it unlatched from the striker too. But i really couldn't get the tailgate right until i removed the strut. One you remove the strut the tailgate becomes airlight

Last edited:
OP
OP

RainbowStix

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
You need to unhook the strut. It puts pressure on the tailgate, makes it hard to put the gate back.

I'd say the tailgate is maybe 30/40 lbs, VERY light.

When installing the reinforcement bracket on mine, let's just say at one point i was holding the tailgate with my left arm and screwing in the bolts with my right hand, all messed up, lol. I had it shimmed too, but the bolts wouldn't line up the way it was sitting. I had it unlatched from the striker too. But i really couldn't get the tailgate right until i removed the strut. One you remove the strut the tailgate becomes airlight
Thank you! And how would I go about unhooking it? Would I have to open up the tailgate? Itā€™s unlatched from the striker and hinges but still toward the closed position. Can I open it up without fear of it falling off or?
Ford Bronco Anyone know the weight of the tailgate? 758A5AB1-BD37-4C98-AC22-EBA08D248E0E

Ford Bronco Anyone know the weight of the tailgate? D145B769-A42E-4BAA-B4CE-5FFD23FA2BBA

Lifeliberty

Base
First Name
MoonbeamšŸ‘€
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
I thought you said it was unlatched at the striker(handle end)

OP
OP

RainbowStix

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I thought you said it was unlatched at the striker(handle end)
It is unlatched at the striker (handle) end and unbolted at the hinges. I know it doesnā€™t look that way, but it is. Think itā€™s the angle, and the tailgate on the striker end is basically overlapping the rear fender. Itā€™s open though which is why it isnā€™t touching

Sponsored

Lifeliberty

Base
First Name
MoonbeamšŸ‘€
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Can you not get bolts back in the hinge? One thing i noticed with the hinge, the nuts inside the gate are floating. If the hinge lines up to the gate holes, you can move the bolts over with a pick

OP
OP

RainbowStix

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Can you not get bolts back in the hinge? One thing i noticed with the hinge, the nuts inside the gate are floating. If the hinge lines up to the gate holes, you can move the bolts over with a pick
Unfortunately, thatā€™s my issue. The gate is so grossly off now that it doesnā€™t line up with the hinges lol. I noticed theyā€™re floating, but are you saying to get it up with a pick to and try to get a bolt in same time?

Lifeliberty

Base
First Name
MoonbeamšŸ‘€
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Get a himge bolt in before you swing the door open, trust me, and have other bolts within reach, and if you're holding the door in one arm, be careful of the wiring

OP
OP

RainbowStix

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Get a himge bolt in before you swing the door open, trust me, and have other bolts within reach, and if you're holding the door in one arm, be careful of the wiring
I donā€™t know if thatā€™ll be an option, hereā€™s an idea of what Iā€™m working withā€¦ even if I get a pick back there and move it up and to the right, it wonā€™t be enough before hitting the square metal holeā€¦
Ford Bronco Anyone know the weight of the tailgate? image

Ford Bronco Anyone know the weight of the tailgate? image

Lifeliberty

Base
First Name
MoonbeamšŸ‘€
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Unfortunately, thatā€™s my issue. The gate is so grossly off now that it doesnā€™t line up with the hinges lol. I noticed theyā€™re floating, but are you saying to get it up with a pick to and try to get a bolt in same time?
I was thinking now right left, not up and down. It would be impossible to use a pick and install a bolt.

So, the right side is sagging? And hinge don't line up? Grab under right side bottom and lift until holes line up.

It still looks like stricker is closed good to me, but I'm not there. If it is not latched then alignment will be your issue and may be making it difficult to align.

The only correction i can see is to remove the tailgate and start again. Much easier with another person, but i did it. alone. Definitely have everything within reach if you go that route, there is no going back.

I wish i had it on video, it was hilarious

Sponsored

Lifeliberty

Base
First Name
MoonbeamšŸ‘€
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Try ANY of the 4 bolt options, trust me, any is better than none if you are doing this alone

OP
OP

RainbowStix

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
To show how off it is, I can fit a whole finger in on one side while the other not even a fingernail
Ford Bronco Anyone know the weight of the tailgate? 587B0639-FF12-43BB-BED5-AD4FE8665A78

Ford Bronco Anyone know the weight of the tailgate? CA4B2017-2A4A-4C00-AEA2-26C8A2C7C25A

Lifeliberty

Base
First Name
MoonbeamšŸ‘€
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
The strut is pushing the door out.

Lifeliberty

Base
First Name
MoonbeamšŸ‘€
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
So, yeah. That's where i was. Then genius decision, i decide, hey, let's open it up.... lol. Well, once you do the strut goes to work again ands pushes the door more lol, at that point you aren't getting the door closed again until that strut is removed
Sponsored