Sponsored

Tailgate paint rubbing off where it meets the glass.

edernest

Badlands
First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

As others have suggested, go into your dealership and get them to fix the paint/issue, then apply a protective film over the paint in the spot you are having the issue with. That should stop any further paint issues.
I like that PPF idea and will likely plan to do the same, but I'd be curious if anyone who noticed the related squeaking (the sound of the tailgate rubbing on the rubber window gasket as you drive over bumps) prior to PPF install saw that the noise went away. I would say that the noise for me is loud and frequent enough that it's not something I'd like to just live with.
Sponsored

HeliPilot

Badlands
First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 2.7L SAS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
In 35 years of driving, I’ve never owned a removable top vehicle that did not rub through the paint in multiple areas.

OP
OP
level3looper

level3looper

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Here's how things look now: The paint has been stripped across the entrie edge.

Ford Bronco Tailgate paint rubbing off where it meets the glass. 20230428_145108

Ford Bronco Tailgate paint rubbing off where it meets the glass. 20230428_145114

Ford Bronco Tailgate paint rubbing off where it meets the glass. 20230428_145126

flip

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

How's the alignment on the gate? I assume it's not kicked at the top? That would put more pressure on the seal but I'm going to say this is just one of those areas there isn't much compromise. Too tight and it's hard to close and rubs the paint off. Too loose and you get air/water leaks and maybe rattle. Composition of the rubber could be harder than others because of more use but then you go with something softer and it rips or falls apart. Should've been some PPF or cap strip along there to help reduce the severity.

Sponsored
First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
N/A
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I think the gasket traps dust/dirt - which then becomes the abrasive that sands off the paint.

As for the squeaking tailgate/window - I put krytox grease all along that rubber seal which completely eliminated the chatter/squeaking, but now i have dirty greasy goop that's probably going to accelerate the paint coming off...

OP
OP
level3looper

level3looper

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

How's the alignment on the gate? I assume it's not kicked at the top? That would put more pressure on the seal but I'm going to say this is just one of those areas there isn't much compromise. Too tight and it's hard to close and rubs the paint off. Too loose and you get air/water leaks and maybe rattle. Composition of the rubber could be harder than others because of more use but then you go with something softer and it rips or falls apart. Should've been some PPF or cap strip along there to help reduce the severity.
The alignment seems ok. I figure a strip like you're saying is what I'll do. A bit late but...

edernest

Badlands
First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Here's how things look now: The paint has been stripped across the entrie edge.
I've got the exact same wear points on mine as well. Here are some updated photos I took yesterday, and bear in mind that I've already had the top of my tailgate repainted by my dealer so this is only what has happened since I got my vehicle back from them. I've left it with them for a combined 4+ weeks over four seperate visits and during that time they painted, attempted to realign the tailgate, installed some kind of thick tape to the latch connection point (I assume to try to help prevent movement) and nothing really seems to help. I still have an open case with Ford about this issue, though I've been unable to get any response from the case worker.

Perhaps @Ford Motor Company has some advice on how to proceed? The body shop at the dealership has informed me that there "was probably not a remedy" and that the only thing they could offer is to have me bring it in to be repainted periodically.

Ford Bronco Tailgate paint rubbing off where it meets the glass. image0
Ford Bronco Tailgate paint rubbing off where it meets the glass. image1
Ford Bronco Tailgate paint rubbing off where it meets the glass. image2

edernest

Badlands
First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Anyone else seeing this?

It looks like the points where it is rubbing the paint off is soft rubber. You can see the clean spot where it rubs.
Not sure if you got any further on this issue, but Ford issued a TSB for certain Bronco builds that essentially acknowledge manufacturer defect and offer to replace the entire tailgate assembly with new hinges/bolts. I'm having mine replaced right now, should be picking it up later today. Might be something to look into as I know how annoying the noise/damage can be from this issue. I ended up leaving my vehicle at the dealership having them look at it for a total of six weeks and five seperate trips, so I'm hoping this is the final resolution for mine.

Strizzo

Wildtrak
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lexus GX460, 1966 Mustang Convertible
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Anyone else seeing this?

It looks like the points where it is rubbing the paint off is soft rubber. You can see the clean spot where it rubs.

mine hasn't rubbed through yet but i have some red paint transfer on the rubber gasket on my back window at the handle side like your last picture shows. also race red, i was disappointed to see red paint there meaning it has already rubbed through the clear and/or there wasn't much clear to begin with.

Sponsored

StickerFab

Raptor
Squatch Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.stickerfab.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands / 2023 Bronco Raptor