First Name
Brock
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 F-150
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I flipped my rear hatch of the soft top up a couple weeks ago for the first time when I was cleaning the bronco and noticed two wear points in the paint “same spot on both sides. This is at the far rear where the side vinyl window comes together with the back section. Has anyone else had this issue or found a fix? For the time being I used some 3m felt over the wear points, but it already looks like it will wear though over time. I had throught about bed liner in a small section. 🤷‍♂️

Ford Bronco Soft top Rubbing rear paint A1008D1D-4DA5-4129-B2B0-39273CBDCD42
Sponsored

Dmorty217

Black Diamond
First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Camery
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
There are other threads on the soft top rubbing pillars and I assume where you’re having issues. The problem from what I gathered was the top isn’t aligned correctly, hence the rubbing. There is a thread that shows which bolts need to be loosened and retighten to remedy the issue. Again the thread I saw was for the rear pillars and the middle latch not latching but there are only so many bolts that hold the soft top in place. Not sure I was really any help for you

OP
OP
RaceRedOBX

RaceRedOBX

Outer Banks
First Name
Brock
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 F-150
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
There are other threads on the soft top rubbing pillars and I assume where you’re having issues. The problem from what I gathered was the top isn’t aligned correctly, hence the rubbing. There is a thread that shows which bolts need to be loosened and retighten to remedy the issue. Again the thread I saw was for the rear pillars and the middle latch not latching but there are only so many bolts that hold the soft top in place. Not sure I was really any help for you
Mine isn’t rubbing the pillars, it is rubbing the top of the fenders. It’s almost like the frame goes down too far allowing the contact. I was thinking about trying to adjust it, but I have my first service coming up and will probably just let the dealer deal with it.

OP
OP
RaceRedOBX

RaceRedOBX

Outer Banks
First Name
Brock
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 F-150
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
For anyone that is curious, I stopped by my dealer today and a ford field service engineer just happened to be there. He was very interested and came out to take a look. He said at this time there is no TSB for my specific issue. He took tons of pictures and said he was going to look in to this further and opened a case with ford to have it remedied. We compared my issue to another bronco that is owned by the service manager and his did not have the rubbing issues.

Ford Motor Company

First Edition
Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Bronco Sport
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
For anyone that is curious, I stopped by my dealer today and a ford field service engineer just happened to be there. He was very interested and came out to take a look. He said at this time there is no TSB for my specific issue. He took tons of pictures and said he was going to look in to this further and opened a case with ford to have it remedied. We compared my issue to another bronco that is owned by the service manager and his did not have the rubbing issues.
Hi there. This soft top concern doesn’t sound like something we want you to experience with your Bronco. Could you please send us a PM with your VIN and the name and location of your Ford dealer? I'd be happy to look into how I can assist you on my end.

Sponsored
OP
OP
RaceRedOBX

RaceRedOBX

Outer Banks
First Name
Brock
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 F-150
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Hi there. This soft top concern doesn’t sound like something we want you to experience with your Bronco. Could you please send us a PM with your VIN and the name and location of your Ford dealer? I'd be happy to look into how I can assist you on my end.
DM sent, thanks

jailer4u

Base
First Name
Douglas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
I flipped my rear hatch of the soft top up a couple weeks ago for the first time when I was cleaning the bronco and noticed two wear points in the paint “same spot on both sides. This is at the far rear where the side vinyl window comes together with the back section. Has anyone else had this issue or found a fix? For the time being I used some 3m felt over the wear points, but it already looks like it will wear though over time. I had throught about bed liner in a small section. 🤷‍♂️

I have the exact same problem with mine Did you find a solution to the problem? I noticed on mine the rear window corner inserts have metal tabs and the bottom metal tab rubs the paint completely off down to the metal.

5D5EDF88-524F-4C55-BF82-87B7102E5B0E.jpeg

HeliPilot

Badlands
First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 2.7L SAS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Every jeep I’ve owned since the 80s til now, and the 2021 Bronco soft top I had wore the paint down to metal in the corners. It’s part of owning a soft top brick. The top is always gonna move, and the paint is always gonna wear.

JohnnyBronco

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
X4
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

There was an early (in 2021) TSB on rubbing with roll bar and the fix was clear 3M tape. Some peeps fixed on their own with felt tape.

Rubbing on the top of the fenders would call for 3M tape along fender top. Think bug shield or spray on plastic coating like we used to coat bottom foot of vehicle bodies in the 70s

Add additional rubber or foam weatherstripping at bottom of top frame. Maybe what's there isn't there or not where it should be

Dream_Solventless

Black Diamond
First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22’ Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I have the exact same problem with mine Did you find a solution to the problem? I noticed on mine the rear window corner inserts have metal tabs and the bottom metal tab rubs the paint completely off down to the metal.

Ford Bronco Soft top Rubbing rear paint 5D5EDF88-524F-4C55-BF82-87B7102E5B0E
Mines rubbed through the driver fender In The same spot. If I go to the passenger side there is a pretty nice gap between that piece your talking about and the paint but on the drivers side it’s 1/16” or less away from the paint. I temporarily put some ppf there but I believe the soft top needs adjusted to fix the issue. I was also looking at gas struts that lift the soft top as they seem to hold the soft top up against the latch instead of resting on the body which might give some extra clearance too.

Sponsored
OP
OP
RaceRedOBX

RaceRedOBX

Outer Banks
First Name
Brock
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 F-150
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks

Ford Bronco Soft top Rubbing rear paint 5D5EDF88-524F-4C55-BF82-87B7102E5B0E
My dealer ended up replacing my entire top/subframe. They replaced every piece. I honestly haven’t even checked to see if the rubbing has been resolved. They wanted me to drive it for a month or so and see if the damage worsened. If this resolves my issue they will then repair my fender corners in the paint booth. I will inspect later today and keep everyone updated.

JohnnyBronco

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
X4
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Because of the raised bottom of the wavy wi does I see my top has a full 1/2 " clearance above the fenders from an inch back

Scott R Nelson

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Escape, 2-door Base Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

The back window on my hard top rubs the paint on the tailgate. I'll just live with it.