Sponsored

Anyone putting doors on/off all the time? - tips for no paint chips?

VailDan

Badlands
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2D Badlands(2023)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Hey Guys,

My 2D doors are off and I have seen the videos about using the guide pin and the (2)rubber guards when putting the doors back on. Still not 100% sure exactly where on the door/frame to put the rubber guards, but does anyone have any good details for adding/removing the doors all the time?

I have have my doors off for the summer and just using an old 4runner when it is cloudy. It would be nice to throw the doors on/off all the time, but guessing if I start doing that without a good process it is a matter of numbers and I will take a few chips/dents here and there. Not sure if the storage bags make things 10x safer/easier, or where exactly the doors guards should go(both on front edge of door? or rear edge of forward door opening?, etc. Any feedback from anyone that is doing it weekly or has a good process is appreciated. Just trying to smart about it before cranking it up to 50 times/year, etc. as I really like taking them off.

Thanks,

Dan
Sponsored

Taco2Bronco

Badlands
First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Iā€™ve only done it a few times and it was scary the whole time. I have managed to keep them unchippedā€¦for now. Iā€™ll be watching the replies.​

OP
OP
VailDan

VailDan

Badlands
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2D Badlands(2023)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Yes - I am sure there are guys that will say the chips come with owning a Bronco, etc., but just want to use the best methods possible before I start doing it more often.

gmannerino

Base
First Name
Glenn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1994 Isuzu Trooper
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I've removed my doors several times and always carefully store them indoors on moving blankets. If you're going to be doing this often, I'd recommend investing in storage bags, or something else to keep your doors safe. Always be careful, don't rush the (already quick) process.

For the guards, I put one higher on the fender, and the other lower on the door.

Edit: I'm a moar door, and with my doors being lighter/shorter than yours, it's tricky enough getting them inside without accidentally rubbing into the door frame or walls. If I had a 2 door, I'd probably buy the bags.

Sponsored
OP
OP
VailDan

VailDan

Badlands
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2D Badlands(2023)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Yes- I bought some premium rubber weatherseal and it looks like if I make a cut down the side(not top) it might be able to stick securely to the edges of the doors/fender decently, but probably suspect. If it does work well, I will add something here. If anyone else has something better, please post.

Gulftrack

Wildtrak
First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco wild trak, 22 Gladiator Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I remove mine regularly. The first time, I did chip them at the curve of the body panel near the top. Thatā€™s where the protection is needed. Iā€™ve learned to open the door only about 70%, slide the covers over as far as I can and lift up about an inch then pull them away. I do like the idea shared earlier about the weather stripping.

Last edited:

jacknifetoaswan

Wildtrak
First Name
JR
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/PP
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I remove mine regularly. The first time, I did chip them at the curve of the body panel near the top. Thatā€™s where the protection is needed. Iā€™ve learned to open the door only about 70%, slide the covers over as far as I can and lift up about and once then pull them away. I do like the idea shared earlier about the weather stripping.
This is the way. Both my front doors have a small chip at the same spot, just above the character line. That's the spot that needs protection, though a silicone bumper that is full length would be good, assuming you wash the truck before you install it. Otherwise, the strip would end up scratching the paint.

JR

MillerAndCheeto

Wildtrak
First Name
Robin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 Door Cyber Orange Wildtrak Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Small chip first time, curve of the door near the top - I now have the answers.

Use the rubber things as intended. Then I add some cut-up clean rags and use painters tape to hold them in place where the door starts to curve near the top. No more issues since.

OP
OP
VailDan

VailDan

Badlands
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2D Badlands(2023)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I cut the weatherstripping down the side(not the front as to me it looked like it would hold better down the side. It seems to work perfect for the doors, and I can get it on quickly enough(less than a minute) so far it and seems like a good option. I will have to do it more and see if my weather stripping holds up as it does have a yellow sticker cover down the back.

It will stick to the fender, but not as well and would take a few minutes for each one as it wants to slide off unless you really focus on it, and probably a better solution needed there. The goal is to have strips I can put on the doors and fender within 2 minutes total so I can get the doors on pretty easily as I plan on doing it a lot and do not want to take a black eye(chip) every now and then from little mistakes(tougher with the 3d weight).

It is tough to tell from these pictures because my Bronco is black, but here is the weatherstripping and I think this is what I bought from HomeDepot(not 100% sure on size, but it has yellow sticker down back and comes in pairs so you have to pull it apart and cut it down side with good set of scissors(Only took a few minutes)

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Frost-K...ular-Rubber-Weatherstrip-Tape-V25BK/202844545

Ford Bronco Anyone putting doors on/off all the time? - tips for no paint chips? BroncoDoors

Last edited:

Sponsored

Dmag

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco /f250/lx450
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Buy door bags Iā€™ve taken my door off 4 times in last two weekends thatā€™s what I bought it for to take doors and top off the bags are worth gold to me

boomboomthump

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Taken mine off and put them on any chance I get as it is so easy. I use a Milwaukee 12V cordless ratchet to zip the bolts on and off. I can remove all 4 doors or install them myself in 8 minutes. I use the same for the hardtop as well.

1) As mentioned above, use the door bags

2) Use the rubber bumpers but put BOTH on the fender

There is no point in putting the bumpers on the door edge. With the door opened for removal, any protection on the door edge serves no purpose at all and the door skin can still hit the fender edge. If you have both bumpers on the fender edge around the 1/3 and 2/3's areas, no part of the door can ding or hit the fender edge and chip.

88to21bronco

Big Bend
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Nissan Titan XD
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I take my doors off regularlyā€”maybe 2-3 times a month from April-September since 2021. I donā€™t use the bumpers, but havenā€™t done any damage until just this week. I got rushed and was working in dusky light.
Iā€™ve found that if you go slowly and make sure to seat the bottom hinge in the cone-shaped bolt properly, it is a piece of cake. But if you hurry, or if you are trying to work without good vision, prepare to chip something.
I also am a 4-door, so I often go just front doors off.

BroncoKing610

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2.7L Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Heres a tip,
Use door bags
Dont do it at night

ill upload photos of my doors, the paint on the inside is destroyed, but it happens.

ill post photos in a few

BenBronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 F-150 and 2020 F-150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs