Sponsored

Anyone putting doors on/off all the time? - tips for no paint chips?

AZMikeL

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Badlands 4dr, 2016 BMW 435i
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Use a helper to put them back on. Even the rear doors are too unruly to put back on alone. Taking them off alone is easy if you have door bags.
Sponsored

OP
OP
VailDan

VailDan

Badlands
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2D Badlands(2023)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Alright - The only reason I did not order the door bags when I bought is I thought I might be taking them on and off so much that I might just want to pull them by hand and place them on some hang-alls with foam and avoid bags to just speed up the process. On 2D there is no option to put them all in the back so thought I would wait and see.

It looks like they are a lot more expensive to buy from Ford Accesories, but going to go ahead and order just to have the piece of mind

f1loco

Badlands
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Ranger Tremor, Porsche 911SC, Willys CJ-2A
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The good is, our paint seems to be a very pliable poly base. My wife freaked when I manage to nick the edge of the fender edge. A few minutes on the orbital with some medium cleaner/polish on an orange pad and after the paint seemed to warm, it just literally melted away into the paint around it. It's almost like it becomes liquified rubber. Easy fix, but yes, more caution to the rubber strips supplied and some painters tape on the edges for extra security. With a 2DR they are way heavier than my old rubicon doors, making the whole "insert and align here" thing a bit more hazardous. Door bags are must.

BlueBronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 F150 KR - '21 BL - 23' OBX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Cordless ratchet.
Door bags.
Move slowly and deliberately.

Consider getting the door edges wrapped in PPF if removing/re-installing frequently

OP
OP
VailDan

VailDan

Badlands
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2D Badlands(2023)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Cordless ratchet.
Door bags.
Move slowly and deliberately.

Consider getting the door edges wrapped in PPF if removing/re-installing frequently
What is PPF?

Sponsored
OP
OP
VailDan

VailDan

Badlands
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2D Badlands(2023)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have been looking for past day and have lost one of the (2)rubber door guards that comes in Bronco kit. Not seeing those as an option from Ford Accories, so looks like I can only put 1 on the fender/ The 2D door bags are $269, but it does not say if that is one of two. Going to order and hope that I get two doors bags

Kyukidoeric

Base
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco (former 69 & 77 Bronco owner)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Take out any clips from your pockets (knife, wallet :)
Use the insert on the bottom...

My issue is the door handles feel flimsy and that makes me nervous. And don't forget to unplug the door wires, and don't forget to roll down the windows before you unplug them...

After a few times you get comfortable, the installation angle is important. I got 1 chip deep inside by the hinge, but i figured it out. No chips since...

Good luck.

Hey Guys,

My 2D doors are off and I have seen the videos about using the guide pin and the (2)rubber guards when putting the doors back on. Still not 100% sure exactly where on the door/frame to put the rubber guards, but does anyone have any good details for adding/removing the doors all the time?

I have have my doors off for the summer and just using an old 4runner when it is cloudy. It would be nice to throw the doors on/off all the time, but guessing if I start doing that without a good process it is a matter of numbers and I will take a few chips/dents here and there. Not sure if the storage bags make things 10x safer/easier, or where exactly the doors guards should go(both on front edge of door? or rear edge of forward door opening?, etc. Any feedback from anyone that is doing it weekly or has a good process is appreciated. Just trying to smart about it before cranking it up to 50 times/year, etc. as I really like taking them off.

Thanks,

Dan

BCHBRNC22

Black Diamond
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

The door bags are really nicley made and worth it. 3M makes a clear door edge trim that is barely visable (cheap on amazon). I just bought a few sets. Took the doors off and plan to install the edge protection when I have a few minutes.

Gjpe04

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Sponsored

BenBronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 F-150 and 2020 F-150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

great idea! Do you put the protection on the door edge or the fender edge?
It is a 10ft strip. I cut it in half and put one on the door edge and one on the fender. That way both are protected.

prospectfour

Outer Banks
First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Bronco, '18 Tiguan
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Taken mine off and put them on any chance I get as it is so easy. I use a Milwaukee 12V cordless ratchet to zip the bolts on and off. I can remove all 4 doors or install them myself in 8 minutes. I use the same for the hardtop as well.

1) As mentioned above, use the door bags

2) Use the rubber bumpers but put BOTH on the fender

There is no point in putting the bumpers on the door edge. With the door opened for removal, any protection on the door edge serves no purpose at all and the door skin can still hit the fender edge. If you have both bumpers on the fender edge around the 1/3 and 2/3's areas, no part of the door can ding or hit the fender edge and chip.
Iā€™m with you. Use your door bags and rubber bumpers and youā€™ll never have an issue. The key is to make sure the door fully seats by rotating it once on the pins. Once you see how pronounced the seating is, youā€™ll never miss it.

Mine come off whenever we get 4-5 dry days in the forecast. I admit I was pretty nervous the first time but havenā€™t given it any thought since.

Mlarv

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco/ 2022 F150/ 1968 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have been looking for past day and have lost one of the (2)rubber door guards that comes in Bronco kit. Not seeing those as an option from Ford Accories, so looks like I can only put 1 on the fender/ The 2D door bags are $269, but it does not say if that is one of two. Going to order and hope that I get two doors bags
I just ordered the door bags also, I used my Ford Pass points. It only cost me $10.92 cash for them. Tax and shipping I think. They should be here today. I also ordered a Lange Original hoist for the top. I figure I could cobble something together, or just order this and have it done correctly. Both should be here today.

Now do I buy the PPF and apply it or the rubber stripe for th door edge.

Mike

JimmyG

Badlands
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords and Cadillacs
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have a Moar door so it's double the work, but I suggest getting the bags. For you it's 1/2 the price I paid so probably around 200+tax/shipping. Also, make yourself a holder like the one on this forum. I don't have the link handy but can look up if you want it. In lieu of bags, you can definitely use moving blankets or even old comforters (I did this at first and my wife kinda flipped).

To protect them when you put the doors back on, use the included rubber bumpers in your Bronco tool kit. Oh and ALWAYS use that screw in guide/holder.

I hate having the top and doors on and it's been about a month run, but rain is here for a week or so. So I had to put it all back together again... :(

JimmyG

Badlands
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords and Cadillacs
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Alright - The only reason I did not order the door bags when I bought is I thought I might be taking them on and off so much that I might just want to pull them by hand and place them on some hang-alls with foam and avoid bags to just speed up the process. On 2D there is no option to put them all in the back so thought I would wait and see.

It looks like they are a lot more expensive to buy from Ford Accesories, but going to go ahead and order just to have the piece of mind
https://www.levittownfordparts.com/sku/vm2dz-54502h07-c.html

$225 for 2 door bags
Sponsored

Last edited: