Sponsored

Anyone putting doors on/off all the time? - tips for no paint chips?

irishdore

Badlands
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Ford Bronco Badlands, '20 Ford Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'll be the umpteenth reply that says the door bags are worth gold. And I use them as previously decribe, e.g., sliding them 3/4 of the way on. I also will be the umpteenth person to say protect near the fenders with the rubber things supplied by Ford.

No chips. Doors on and off a lot since April.
Sponsored

JimmyG

Badlands
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords and Cadillacs
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Bushwhacker

Wildtrak
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Sierra Z71
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I scratched my body the first time I tried to put then back on. Lower corner or door scratched the body while trying to get proper positioning onto hinge bolts. Id love a piece of rubberized armor to put there. Anyway taking them off, the key as others have mentioned is to put the bag on 80% of the way then lift up and remove door. Bagging them after removal by yourself is no bueno

Gjpe04

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I have a 4 door with no bags so talked the dealer into throwing in some bags. He did, but only threw in 2 door front door bags. Bought out of state so can’t really go back and since it was more of a throw in I just went ahead and ordered 2 rear door bags.

im Starting to understand the 2 door model has longer front doors then the 4 door. So my bags maybe a little too big. Better than too small but should I be concerned? I have not tried to remove the doors….yet😀

Sponsored
OP
OP
VailDan

VailDan

Badlands
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2D Badlands(2023)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have the bags. I slide them over the doors as far as possible before removing them. To protect the door edges and fender trim, I bought this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07NDTP5YR/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I cut is so it fits the full length of both the door edge and fender edge.
This stuff blows my weatherstrips away. Ordered them and cut them to cover entire door and fender. They fit quickly and easily on both. Plus they remove so easily from both doors and frame once you have the door on with a small amount of space to get everything out. Once these strips are cut it takes about 1 minute to get them on both the door and frame.

They have already saved me bigtime as I am still learning the process(tougher on the 2 door as they weigh more and visibility on the bottom and top holes is tougher). I still bang the doors around too much when applying them, but not damage at all.

Thanks so much for this post as I these seem just as good as the 2 small ones that Ford sent, but they cover everything

WatchYourSix

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Explorer ST, 2021 Bronco, 2022 Maverick
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Be careful with weather seals and door edge guards if you are leaving them on full time. If you don't seal the open ends, they will retain dirt and water and cause rust.

Heavy_GD

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 OBX non Lux
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
blue-3m-painter-s-tape-2090-48cp-64_1000.jpg

Dmorty217

Black Diamond
First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Camery
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I’ve had mine off and on 30+times. Some place to store them is critical. Door bags make carrying them to said storage location much easier. Also helps with reinstalling them.

DefNotBuddyLee

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang / Jeep / F150
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Like @88to21bronco said, take your time. The door bags are very helpful to give you better grip and the padding inside helps protect the doors while being stored. The guards are also very helpful to prevent paint chips but are also easy to say "nah, I'll be careful" to save a few minutes...not worth it.

I am constantly taking the doors off, putting tube doors on, then reversing the process because of some crazy weather event incoming. The only time I had an issue, I was exhausted from working on some other projects, and should have taken a break before re-installing the doors but I was in a time crunch. The result was the bend below after dropping (had to bend back a little myself to get the door to shut). If you want to fix a mistake like mine, keep in mind the doors are aluminum and not all shops do aluminum work. That means more $ to fix if they do aluminum work, otherwise they are ordering a whole new door for you.

Ford Bronco Anyone putting doors on/off all the time? - tips for no paint chips? BDoor

Sponsored
OP
OP
VailDan

VailDan

Badlands
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2D Badlands(2023)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I ordered a TopLiftPro for the Bronco 2D and did not realize it would not work with the fixed-lid enclosure in the back of my Bronco, which is required for me. So I pulled the top off for the rest of the MIC off fot the rest oif the summer and going to rotate between having doors on and off along with front MIC pieces only.

I was trying to be careful, but with 2D it is tougher and I am 6'3". I hit the fender probably 10 times too hard on door number one and glad I did not just use scotch tape. No issues at all with those rubber strips from amazon. I am improving, but not sure I can ever get the 2D down to where I can install them with ding them around a little. Just too tough for me to see the holes and line them up on my own

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07NDTP5YR/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Last edited:

KANE COUNTY ILLINOIS

Big Bend
First Name
SAL
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC YUKON
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I scratched my body the first time I tried to put then back on. Lower corner or door scratched the body while trying to get proper positioning onto hinge bolts. Id love a piece of rubberized armor to put there. Anyway taking them off, the key as others have mentioned is to put the bag on 80% of the way then lift up and remove door. Bagging them after removal by yourself is no bueno
I scratched & dimpled the flat body directly beneath the B-pillar, near the bottom where the passenger door lower front corner is, so if this the same area for you, I too need some type of think sticker/pad to protect it...PPF would keep from scratching, but not the dimple!
Sponsored