Sponsored

Anyone Treating Their Bronco as a Classic?

Sherminiator

Big Bend
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I canā€™t imagine any car in this era standing the test of time to be considered a classic.

With all of the electronics and software involved, I find it hard to believe it will continue to be supported 20 years from now.
People where saying the same thing about cars in the 1980s...yet Fox Mustangs and Civic CRXs that haven't been modified will command top dollar these days.

Here lies the issue with the future classic car market-the amount of cars being built today isn't nearly the same as it was back in the 60s. The 65-70 Mustang classic market is still strong 50+ years later. They built something like 2 million plus Mustangs in that time frame. For the past 5 years (well 2015-2020) they sold a total of 500 thousand Mustangs. So in 2040 or so, the amount of Mustangs that will be on the classic market will be significantly less then it is now, which will drive up pricing on them.

Not to mention a 25 year old car is considered classic by many state DMV/MVCs for registration/insurance purposes.

As for people shitting on the electronic parts of the Bronco-it doesn't need to be supported for it to be operational. I'm also sure that hobbyist market will pop up in time to support it also.

As for me-I'm not putting many miles on my Bronco, so I expect to keep it for a while and if I get another car, this will still be the "third wheel" between my primary car and my wife's

JeffL

Base
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Challenger Hellcat Redeye / 2023 Base SAS
Your Bronco Model
Base
opposite. daily driver while my challenger moves to the pampered garage life.

rtazz17

Banned
Big Bend
Banned
Banned
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford bronco big bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
drive the thing,you might not be here tomorrow.

Sponsored

Riverjeep

Wildtrak
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wildtrak, F-150
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I canā€™t imagine any car in this era standing the test of time to be considered a classic.

With all of the electronics and software involved, I find it hard to believe it will continue to be supported 20 years from now.
I often think the exact same thing about how long a modern vehicle can last, nothing like the much simpler vehicles in the past.

Jazer

Outer Banks
First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2.7 OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Nope. I ordered what I believed suited me best while being conscious of a reasonable budget. I hope to drive it into the ground and keep it for many years, and possibly pass on to my eldest child in 8ish years when she's ready for her own car. Resale was not a consideration on it because I don't intend to sell it unless it turns out to be a POS. lol.

Rspayde

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 C/O Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I bet you have one hell of a beanie baby collection don't you.

How much you want for the FJ and do you take Bourbon as an offset t the purchase price?

Big Boss

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend

THIS ^

People where saying the same thing about cars in the 1980s...yet Fox Mustangs and Civic CRXs that haven't been modified will command top dollar these days.

Here lies the issue with the future classic car market-the amount of cars being built today isn't nearly the same as it was back in the 60s. The 65-70 Mustang classic market is still strong 50+ years later. They built something like 2 million plus Mustangs in that time frame. For the past 5 years (well 2015-2020) they sold a total of 500 thousand Mustangs. So in 2040 or so, the amount of Mustangs that will be on the classic market will be significantly less then it is now, which will drive up pricing on them.

Not to mention a 25 year old car is considered classic by many state DMV/MVCs for registration/insurance purposes.

As for people shitting on the electronic parts of the Bronco-it doesn't need to be supported for it to be operational. I'm also sure that hobbyist market will pop up in time to support it also.

As for me-I'm not putting many miles on my Bronco, so I expect to keep it for a while and if I get another car, this will still be the "third wheel" between my primary car and my wife's
To counter that point though, part of the reason some of the classics from the 50s-70s get insane prices is they are rare. That was back when you could option anything in a la carte or if your knew the right people you could get something truly unique. My dad ordered a 69 442 W-30, and was able to get it in a color that was not offered on the 442. That kind of stuff doesn't happen anymore. You won't find the 1 of 17 built like this from the factory anymore.

Now you do bring up a good point that the supply of current cars when they reach classic status will be smaller than what most of us consider classics. To counter that, I also say the culture around cars is changing. To the people who grew up in the 60s and 70s cars were everything, it was part of the lifestyle. Car's don't have that same impact anymore. I am in my mid 30s and out of all my friends, theres maybe 3 or 4 of us that car about cars. The rest just see them as transportation. So while the supply of cars available will diminish, IMO so will the pool of people who would want to buy them.

Sherminiator

Big Bend
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

To the people who grew up in the 60s and 70s cars were everything, it was part of the lifestyle. Car's don't have that same impact anymore. I am in my mid 30s and out of all my friends, theres maybe 3 or 4 of us that car about cars. The rest just see them as transportation. So while the supply of cars available will diminish, IMO so will the pool of people who would want to buy them.
yeah I agree with that also..there has been a huge change in the past two generations when it comes to mobility, but at the same time they can more or less "see the world" without actually venturing into it with the internet, which is kinda sad IMO

Sponsored

Jon_chimpo

Banned
Wildtrak
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Invest your money into mutual funds, not brand new cars, seriously.

tock13

Big Bend
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda, 66 Honda CT90, ā€˜94 Toyota Xtra cab
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Unless you shrink wrap a bronco that's fresh off the truck and stick it in a garage for a future push across the Barrett stage I don't see these things being anywhere near the value of an FJ40 that is in even modestly good condition. These are built cheap and it is a total roll of the dice on reliability. I see a ton of 90's Ford pickups around here for sale and the prices are not stupidly high for those, so why would it be any different for the Bronco. in a couple years these things will be as common as a wrangler.

If Ford could build something with decent quality and a lot less tech....which isn't going to happen these days, then maybe it would be a classic in 20 years.

Having said that, I think out of all the trim levels a pristine unmolested 2 dr base might be the ticket for resale in 30 years.

I seriously love the Bronco despite the cheap materials and the suspect reliability, I plan on driving it till it falls apart.

Gnomad

Base
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Base 2 dr, 7MT EG
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

and while we are worrying about the modern electronics and such being an impediment to longevity, consider that I recently dumped the quadrajunk on my 79 Chevy K20 in favor of a FiTech EFI system and it has never run better. Modern systems will save more classics than they will kill. And yeah if you want a 10/10 restored garage queen that's fine, if you wan tto keep it in the living room with the rest of the art. Me, I'm driving it.
Sponsored