Sponsored

Anyone tried manually disconnecting sway bar yet?

Copperhorse73

Wildtrak
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 4 door Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

For a few reasons, namely that SAS is offered on every trim, I’m really considering changing away from Badlands trim to something else. looks like there isn’t a quick disconnect option on the market yet, but I’m well aware that , in theory, you could unbolt the bottom bolt and secure it up out of the way. My question is, has anyone actually tried this yet. I’ve seen talk about how it would theoretically be done to avoid having it all move, hit the CV shaft etc, but have yet to see anyone post a thread or video where they actually did it. Makes me worry that it’s a lot more of a challenge than I thought (Aside from the bolt just being harder to get to than a Jeep).
Sponsored

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

@evilletruck took those bolts out for his lift. He may have an opinion on how easy and thoughts on where to stow / zip strap it.

evilletruck

Black Diamond
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 F350
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

@evilletruck took those bolts out for his lift. He may have an opinion on how easy and thoughts on where to stow / zip strap it.
I left the sway bar links in place and removed the clamps that hold the swaybar to the frame, didn't attempt to disconnect the links so not sure. But I don't think you would be able to easily strap them out of the way, would probably be easier just to remove the whole bar.

Bronco_joe

Black Diamond
First Name
joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I've been driving couple weeks now with the bar completely removed. Yes there is some body roll but haven't experienced anything dangerous. I don't drive much highway so cant say at higher speeds yet.

The problem with constant loosening of the links is that they may wear faster and develop a clunk. To remove properly would be to use an Allen head to hold the stud and remove nut with wrench. Lot of guys just zip the nut off and on again, causing that stud to sometimes spin within the socket of the link.

I'm hopeful there will be something aftermarket, as rockjock makes kits for jeeps.

Screenshot_20210924-084953_Gallery.jpg

OP
OP
Copperhorse73

Copperhorse73

Wildtrak
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 4 door Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I've been driving couple weeks now with the bar completely removed. Yes there is some body roll but haven't experienced anything dangerous. I don't drive much highway so cant say at higher speeds yet.

The problem with constant loosening of the links is that they may wear faster and develop a clunk. To remove properly would be to use an Allen head to hold the stud and remove nut with wrench. Lot of guys just zip the nut off and on again, causing that stud to sometimes spin within the socket of the link.

I'm hopeful there will be something aftermarket, as rockjock makes kits for jeeps.

Ford Bronco Anyone tried manually disconnecting sway bar yet? Screenshot_20210924-084953_Gallery
Interesting, yep, that’s a 2 tool removal for sure. I doubt I’d do a RockJock simply because I tried it for a few months on my JK and it was basically a compromise both on and off road compared to factory sway bar with quick disconnects

4X4XFAR

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, GT500
Your Bronco Model
Base
My experience with other trucks is that sway bars aren't always necessary, especially with better shocks, a lift, etc.
I settled on ordering a Badlands because of the sway bar disconnect, and now am wondering whether to change when placing the MY22 order.
Sponsored