Sponsored

Disconnecting Sway Bar Worth It For a Rookie Offroader?

HorizonHunter

Badlands
First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If it helps your decision (it probably won’t), I don’t think the high package is worth it.

$1300 for a 12” screen instead of an 8” screen along with a bunch of cameras. Don’t get me wrong… the 360-degree camera is cool and all… but my hunch is you’ll be spending the vast majority of your time looking outside your vehicle and not at your infotainment screen.

If the high package had adaptive cruise control, then it would absolutely be worth it. But of course Ford saved adaptive cruise control for the lux package. Smart move on Ford’s part really… each of these packages come with 1 or 2 amazing features and then a bunch of token features that I suspect very few people care about. Yet those 1 or 2 amazing features really entice people to upgrade to the next package.
I don't anticipate really using the 360 cams out and about, aside from as a party trick. That said, with a little one running around, and a tall vehicle with limited front visibility, the front sensors and camera will be huge for putting my mind at ease around her.
Sponsored

OP
OP
PotatoSalad

PotatoSalad

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Where's the cabin at?

Born and raised in Colorado, had a similar dilemma but didn't once think I need the SBD for when I go back home. I do feel its tool more for those that are on the new side to wheeling (workaround: wrenches). Same for the camera being more of noob tool, but I could see that being more useful in places than the SBD. Both options are a hard cost pill to swallow in my opinion. There's a few trails in Colorado where I would rather be in a Sasquatched Bronco than a Badlands on 33's, Spring Creek for instance (workaround: bypass and winch cable). But Red Cone, CO or Wipeout Hill in Moab where all you can see is sky at one point that camera might be a nice tool (workaround: spotter).

I don't want to regear and I know at some point I'll put 37's on, so the 4.70 will keep you in the green zone on gearing charts but you'll be in the yellow with 4.46's. So that could help your decision out, if you never see yourself going with 37's then 4.46 will be fine for you.
1629154066877.png

Almost too many factors to make a clear decision but optional workarounds pointed me to the BD sasquatch. I am going to put the money savings towards a case of Law's or 291 Whiskey next Colorado visit.

That said I'd be more worried about driving in Colorado with Texas plates!!!
The cabin is North of Steamboat. Out in the Clark/Hahn’s Peak area if you’re familiar with there. It’s on a 10 acre plot that used to be an old mining plot and is about 5 miles deep on a forest service road. Only accessible about 8 months out of the year even with chains and 4x4, but maybe the bronco will make it all 12 months. I was born in Green River, WY so I definitely feel weird anytime I drive around CO with Texas plates on. I promise we’re not like the other transplants!

Thanks for the chart, I had not seen one that clear yet.

OP
OP
PotatoSalad

PotatoSalad

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I was in the same position as you. I have a Black Diamond Sasquatch ordered but also pushed to an MY22 build. I too am new to off roading. I've read and studied the reasoning for the sway bar disconnect and i finally decided that i am changing my build to a Badlands Sasquatch. On this one shear reasoning...it is better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it. I doubt i will do many trails that will require the articulation that the disconnect provides but then again who knows? Maybe i will. I also really liked the look of ther 12" screen over the 8" which can't be ordered on the Black Diamond. Even more reason for me to switch...so go ahead and make the switch, you wont regret it!
That’s kind of where I’m leaning now. What’s $4-5K more on a vehicle I’ll have for a while. I get attached to vehicles and don’t see myself ever selling this Bronco. I’ve been obsessed since the first concept leak.

IDyeti

Black Diamond
First Name
SPAM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco BD
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

The cabin is North of Steamboat. Out in the Clark/Hahn’s Peak

I was born in Green River, WY
Excellent area for a cabin.

I was going to say watch out for the Greenies.

Bronc-OH

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep XK, Jeep WJ
Your Bronco Model
Base
Sounds like you'd be fine with a mid bd and the Ford lift.. skip badlands, skip sas

Sponsored

The Bronze

First Edition
First Name
Kelly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1986 Suzuki Samurai, 1967 Ford Bronco, 1993 Turbo Notchback, 2006 Sierra K1500, 2013 Sierra K1500, 2014 Sienna Mini-Van
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

You will definitely need a lift for chains. The manual has some max sizes for the rear (around 32” I believe). Fronts can’t have them as delivered. I looked at some Broncos and I think the wheels need to come away from the control arm a little bit and an inch or two more lift to stay out of harms way.

P52Ranch

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2DR 7MT Badlands, F150 Lightning, New Holland 4030
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Where's the cabin at?

Born and raised in Colorado, had a similar dilemma but didn't once think I need the SBD for when I go back home. I do feel its tool more for those that are on the new side to wheeling (workaround: wrenches). Same for the camera being more of noob tool, but I could see that being more useful in places than the SBD. Both options are a hard cost pill to swallow in my opinion. There's a few trails in Colorado where I would rather be in a Sasquatched Bronco than a Badlands on 33's, Spring Creek for instance (workaround: bypass and winch cable). But Red Cone, CO or Wipeout Hill in Moab where all you can see is sky at one point that camera might be a nice tool (workaround: spotter).

I don't want to regear and I know at some point I'll put 37's on, so the 4.70 will keep you in the green zone on gearing charts but you'll be in the yellow with 4.46's. So that could help your decision out, if you never see yourself going with 37's then 4.46 will be fine for you.
1629154066877.png

Almost too many factors to make a clear decision but optional workarounds pointed me to the BD sasquatch. I am going to put the money savings towards a case of Law's or 291 Whiskey next Colorado visit.

That said I'd be more worried about driving in Colorado with Texas plates!!!
Interesting on your chart that the Manual Badlands (4.7 rear axle) with 33" tires is somewhere in the greenish/red zone. (green for 4.56 gears and red for 4.88 gears).

dweskamp

Badlands
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GMC truck
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

This is my big fear of going to Badlands. I'm also really tempted by the high package, but the auto sway bar is the main selling point when I think of taking the rig to CO.
Do it

KompressorV12

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19' Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Disconnecting sway bar could be argued that it’s specifically for off-road newbies

Sponsored

Thed

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 GX460 '16 Miata '67 F-100 '21 Streetfighter V4
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

It's a convenience more than anything. If you're doing anything serious, you're either disconnecting the sway bar before you hit the trial or just removing it altogether.

Personally I don't think I'll need it, but I'd like to have it for a smoother ride off-road. Instead of removing the sway bar links for my added comfort, I'd rather push a button.

Scotteasymoney

Wildtrak
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 F150. 72 maverick grabber
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

It's a convenience more than anything. If you're doing anything serious, you're either disconnecting the sway bar before you hit the trial or just removing it altogether.

Personally I don't think I'll need it, but I'd like to have it for a smoother ride off-road. Instead of removing the sway bar links for my added comfort, I'd rather push a button.
Just curious because this will be my first off road vehicle and new to off roading. Since i an a speed nut and figured Wildtrak would be more my style. As marketing aims it to be a high speed off road Bajaj style trim with sport mode. Why if sway bar disconnect is so much smoother off roading why isn't it on the WT?

Thed

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 GX460 '16 Miata '67 F-100 '21 Streetfighter V4
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Why if sway bar disconnect is so much smoother off roading why isn't it on the WT?
Because you really want a sway bar once you start moving with speed. There's a reason why Ford programmed the sway bar to reconnect when you hit 20 MPH.

chobit

Badlands
First Name
Eddy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mini Cooper SE, MIata ND2 GT, Bronco Badland SAS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Sway-bar is basically anti-sway. For sport cars, one of the thing they do is to put in a larger sway-bar to reduce roll. So the opposite for an off road truck is to disconnect that sway bar to allow more flex, but which however isn't good for higher speed driving . With that being said, manual disconnect would is easy enough, and I am sure someone is going to sell a quick disconnect kit. Traditionally, people disconnect the sway-bar and air down their tires at trail head, then re-connect & air up when they are done. So, IMHO, the Bronco sway-bar disconnect feature is good to have, but not a deal breaker if you are willing to it manually (Cost is at minimal). However, I think lockers is more important. Rear Locker (Good), F/R Locker (Excellent). Add lockers later is a lot more expensive, and it will kill the warranty on your differential and/or driveline components.
The same obstacle that's seems easy for a Bronco with lockers, can be much more difficult on an Open Diff. Bronco. The same obstacle often require additional speed and momentum which is fun, but probably have a higher chance to break something too.

Last edited:
OP
OP
PotatoSalad

PotatoSalad

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
ok so after all the comments so far, what is your decision?
Assuming pricing stays comparable for MY22, I think I'm going to upgrade to Badlands with the High Package. I'm going to own the truck for a while, so I think I'll be happy to have the bigger screen and 360 cams long term. Who knows how much I will use the sway bar disconnect, but I think I'd rather have it and not need it than to be the guy bitching about manually disconnecting when I need to disconnect. I'll probably make a game time decision on whether or not I go SAS BL since it seems it won't be too big of an issue to upgrade to 35's down the road if I want to, and SAS is only .4" higher than a stock BL.

Now I'll just need to find someone with a Black Diamond to swap grille's with once I get the truck because my biggest gripe with the BL is that grille.
Sponsored