First Name
Hal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F150 and Volvo S90
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I am right now between the wildtrak and the BL. I am trying to figure out if it is with the 2k difference. Thoughts?
And I probably won't be doing a ton of rock climbing and more trail riding.
I also wonder if the resale will be helped with having it.
Sponsored

lowmpg

Badlands
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Well it really isn't as simple as one feature, right? I mean the BL has washout floors, bash plates, rock rails, different bumper, perhaps a better looking interior, marine vinyl, and so on. Yeah the disconnect is probably the most substantial feature mechanically, but it certainly isn't the only difference in the 2k difference (guessing on builds you've done).

Personally I was all in on the WT until I saw the interior colors, my personal want for a washout floor, preferring the vinyl look over the cloth and other personal choices. All in my build on a WT costs me about 2.4k less than my build on the BL. I'm going with the BL because I plan on the top off more than not and morning dew, moisture etc, I don't want to deal with cloth no matter how durable it is and I don't want to deal with a carpeted floor (which I'd need to put rubber mats over). But that's me. A BL in my mind certainly isn't worth it if it was only the sway-bar disconnect.

OK_Hunter

Wildtrak
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Infinity g37
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I'm in the absolutely "no" camp here. I respect the extra suspension travel that the disconnect gives you, and for that reason I'll have a manual disconnect installed when they become available (or really it'll just be a cheap manual quick disconnect). However, as an engineer, I honestly think people are over valuing the impact this will have on the trail. This is an independent front suspension vehicle, which everyone is hung up on needing more travel to "compete" with a Jeep while rock crawling... Well, everyone forgets that the value of that SFA on a Jeep not only comes from the extra travel, but the fulcrum effect and downward force on the wheel with the least traction is what makes it effective. The broncos IFS means that the wheel with the least traction won't have any downward force on it other than gravity and the weight of the tire/wheel/arm when it's at it's limits. The front locker really is the most important thing you can get that impacts your crawling.

OP
OP
That_Hal

That_Hal

Badlands
First Name
Hal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F150 and Volvo S90
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Well it really isn't as simple as one feature, right? I mean the BL has washout floors, bash plates, rock rails, different bumper, perhaps a better looking interior, marine vinyl, and so on. Yeah the disconnect is probably the most substantial feature mechanically, but it certainly isn't the only difference in the 2k difference (guessing on builds you've done).

Personally I was all in on the WT until I saw the interior colors, my personal want for a washout floor, preferring the vinyl look over the cloth and other personal choices. All in my build on a WT costs me about 2.4k less than my build on the BL. I'm going with the BL because I plan on the top off more than not and morning dew, moisture etc, I don't want to deal with cloth no matter how durable it is and I don't want to deal with a carpeted floor (which I'd need to put rubber mats over). But that's me. A BL in my mind certainly isn't worth it if it was only the sway-bar disconnect.
Great answer, thank you for the feed back!
And your right where I am in my build with the price difference!
I am leaning towards the badlands also.

bmclain

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Explorer, 2021 Ford Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Yes, exactly! That's the same boat i was in. Also I'm pretty anxious to get mine, so not willing to wait for the MOD top. The MIC top matches much better with the BL. I won't ever trade it in, but if I die, then my wife might get more money in resell with the more capable BL.

Sponsored

tshaw2009

Base
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 F150 Lariat, 2018 Ford Edge Titanium
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I am right now between the wildtrak and the BL. I am trying to figure out if it is with the 2k difference. Thoughts?
And I probably won't be doing a ton of rock climbing and more trail riding.
I also wonder if the resale will be helped with having it.
I'm with @OK_Hunter on this one brother. I will spend a couple hundred to buy quick disconnect end links and save about $1.8k by installing myself. The whole idea of engaging the disconnect under load sounds nice but barely anyone who wheels will actually do that. If you know you're going off-road, it's best to go ahead and disconnect before you start the trail. Then, you don't have to worry about it down the trail when things get hairy. That is just my $.02. You just can't be afraid to maybe get a little dirt on ya' when it comes time to disconnect.

brettclutch

Badlands
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic, Honda CR-V
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Is it possible we could get some input from those that actually disconnect sway bars in previously owned vehicles.

-> Does it really help?
-> How often do you disconnect?
-> What kind of off-roading do you do?
-> The little bit more articulation you get worth the assumed 'floaty' feeling that comes with the handling (Scarier feeling to tip over due to sway)
-> Does it make passengers more motion sick going over bumps or help?

Blksn955.o

Badlands
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Ford Escape Ti, 94 Ford Mustang GT, 21 BL
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I am getting the non squatch BL since I can't wait for mansquatch that would be a diamondmansquatch. When I priced out the BD (best guess since no manual option yet) and BL they were very close +/- like $500 or so. I would have zero hesitation in just doing manual discos. hydrolic disco just happens to be included in the BL...sure the button push ease of use will be nice but overall very indifferent.

For me long story short the overall options amd package landed me into BL.

L8apex

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'14 Focus ST, '21 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
If it was a stand-alone feature, no it wouldn't be worth 2K. But as mentioned above it comes with a lot of other features.

But I'm looking forward to the sway-bar disco, not for the extra travel, but for smoothing out the ride while cruising down some washboards or on the beach.

Nobody

Badlands
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.snowtrek.org
Vehicle(s)
1970 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Worth it? No.

Every video posted shows the Bronco pulling a tire on some uneven terrain, then disconnecting the sway bar right at the peak tire lift point. The reality is they could have just kept driving.

With IFS, you're going to experience that uncomfortable weight shift in various situations. The sway bar disconnect isn't going to prevent that.

The advantage of the IFS disconnect isn't so much the additional droop, but the compression on the opposite side, which will have a positive effect on the rear axle.

Every little bit helps, but I just don't see it making the difference of "go" or "no go" on any obstacle.

All that said, I'm getting it! (y)

Last edited:

Sponsored

Philly

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Is it possible we could get some input from those that actually disconnect sway bars in previously owned vehicles.

-> Does it really help?
-> How often do you disconnect?
-> What kind of off-roading do you do?
-> The little bit more articulation you get worth the assumed 'floaty' feeling that comes with the handling (Scarier feeling to tip over due to sway)
-> Does it make passengers more motion sick going over bumps or help?
Disconnecting my sway bar (manually) on my JKU makes a HUGE difference on even mild trails. Everything feels so much smoother and makes the experience a lot more enjoyable. I do it every time. If I have a hard time getting the links lined up again, I just have someone push on or hang off of one side of my Jeep and they slide right back on.

SevenT

Badlands
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 U15 Sport Edition; 2021 AMB 4 Door Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Sway bar disconnect allows for the front axle to articulate in situations where both wheels are not in contact with the obstacle. If you have lockers in the front and the back, you have 3 wheel drive without the disconnect. 4 wheel with. Not worth the expense in my opinion.

AZshot

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vintage Motorcycles, F-150, various other
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Nope, I'm not going rock crawling to show off. Flipping a new bronco is going to make a big show trying to "outdo" the next guy.

GToddC5

Badlands
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bronco6g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 1971 Toyota FJ40, 1998 Corvette 'vert
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It's worth it to me, only since it's included with everything else that makes me like the BL over the WT.
Sponsored