Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands / Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
From everything I have seen, people are going with the Badlands either do to the marine-grade interior or the manual trans with front/rear lockers.

I haven’t seen too many people that go to Badlands purely due to the sway bar disconnect- they view it as an added bonus. I wish I could delete it. Seeing the issues with Rubicon’s system and the pending class-action lawsuit, I really prefer a traditional setup.

The Bronco’s suspension system is light years ahead of the Wrangler and the reviews and customer feedback will prove this. Ford sacrificed alot- including tow capability, for a suspension that will impress on the road, off-road, and in the desert.
I am going with Badlands almost exclusively for the sway bar disconnect. Black Diamond has everything I need at $4k less for both with a mid package and Sasquatch. Badlands is not a great deal...but I don’t want a sway bar I can’t disconnect easily. Maybe if I can figure out that it will be easy to manually disconnect before ordering I will go Black Diamond...but that is the one must have from the Badlands. I think a lot will go to that trim for that feature.
Sponsored

ekim

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep TJ, Ford Excursion
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
This is an interesting theory, but if there is little resistance with the IFS then that stability may be reduced. Is the wheel actually applying significant downward pressure once it touches? Also, curious as to actual travel distance. It looks pretty good on the one or two videos highlighting the feature but is that more marketing? The moab videos seemed to have tires in the air quite a bit, but it was hard to know which features those broncos had.
There is less resistance. However from a tippy-ness perspective its the same with a solid axle. The resistance to tipping is provided by the spring. With both a solid and ifs the spring is close to unloaded. If the suspension is set up well, it's not completely unloaded so if the tire is touching the ground then it's helping.

There are cases where it's really helpful to limit tipping as much as possible. Here's an example:

Ford Bronco Sway Bar Disconnect Functionality MotorHomeDamage20080614_09_42_13

The driver front tire is providing some resistance to tipping. Not much, but enough to keep one's shorts clean :).

OP
OP

BackcountryBirds

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ram Power Wagon
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
For what it's worth, I posted this very topic about a week and a half ago. You can see what people had to say on that thread in addition to the responses you're getting here.

https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/threads/sway-bar-disco-essentially-useless-on-ifs.4715/

Thank you very much, I did a quick search and didn't see it.

That thread has some interesting and an extemely wide range of opinions all the way from basically useless on an IFS to even more important. Since it's essentially a 4-5k upgrade for the feature if would be nice to see some real testing both compairing broncos with and without sway bar disconnect feature as well as comparing a Badlands to a Rubicon.

I tend to think it's not going to do much. I don't think Ford would have offered the Sasquatch without it if it was so essential for offroading with an IFS. I feel like if it's such a valuable feature then many non-badland squatch owners are going to be very disappointed.

I'm not against a simple manual removal before heavy off-roading but don't think I would want to permanently run without it on road. Seems like a good way to not have your insurance cover you.

Comadivine11

Black Diamond
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Chevy Astro Van
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Yeah, people are all over the place on this topic. Basically what I ended up concluding was something I said that I kinda buried under another paragraph in one of my responses:

"Having read some other forums since first posting it seems that some other, less intuitive, benefits from IFS disco are that because sway bars limit travel in both directions, disco will allow the compressed tire to compress even further and, secondly, having the front disco'd can actually help the rear tires stay planted by giving the vehicle better balance."

OP
OP

BackcountryBirds

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ram Power Wagon
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Yeah, people are all over the place on this topic. Basically what I ended up concluding was something I said that I kinda buried under another paragraph in one of my responses:

"Having read some other forums since first posting it seems that some other, less intuitive, benefits from IFS disco are that because sway bars limit travel in both directions, disco will allow the compressed tire to compress even further and, secondly, having the front disco'd can actually help the rear tires stay planted by giving the vehicle better balance."

That's a good point and I think it could definitely help on an IFS in certain situations. However wouldn't that inevitably reduce clearance if both tires are stuffed versus a SFA that would form a straight line thereby having higher clearance on the heavily compressed side.

So many offroad situations are unique/different. Sounds like you could probably spin it's usefulness whichever way you want at this point without some real world tests.

Sponsored

2Jeeps&PatriotX1

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 4dr Badsquatch, ‘05 LJ & ‘17 F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I am going with Badlands almost exclusively for the sway bar disconnect. Black Diamond has everything I need at $4k less for both with a mid package and Sasquatch. Badlands is not a great deal...but I don’t want a sway bar I can’t disconnect easily. Maybe if I can figure out that it will be easy to manually disconnect before ordering I will go Black Diamond...but that is the one must have from the Badlands. I think a lot will go to that trim for that feature.
I posted the pic earlier showing the bolts to remove.

Natai

Badlands
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Sentra, Mercedes GLC
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Thank you very much, I did a quick search and didn't see it.

That thread has some interesting and an extemely wide range of opinions all the way from basically useless on an IFS to even more important. Since it's essentially a 4-5k upgrade for the feature if would be nice to see some real testing both compairing broncos with and without sway bar disconnect feature as well as comparing a Badlands to a Rubicon.

I tend to think it's not going to do much. I don't think Ford would have offered the Sasquatch without it if it was so essential for offroading with an IFS. I feel like if it's such a valuable feature then many non-badland squatch owners are going to be very disappointed.

I'm not against a simple manual removal before heavy off-roading but don't think I would want to permanently run without it on road. Seems like a good way to not have your insurance cover you.
I'm less certain about Ford's thinking when it comes to Sasquatch. They've made it clear that Badlands is the most direct competitor to Rubicon and intended for serious off-roaders, as evidenced by included front/rear lockers, rock rails, SBD, etc.
The Sasquatch seems more focused on those that want bigger tires and greater lift, which applies to lots of people that don't intend to do serious rock crawling.

In other words, I wouldn't read too much into Ford's decision to include SBD with Badlands but not Sasquatch when it comes to how effective it is.

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
I see this as the primary reason folks are going Badlands versus a lesser/cheaper trim and I'm trying to wrap my head around if this will truly add much capability or will end being more of a party trick to check a box in competing with a SFA Jeep Rubicon.
As somebody who was in the Black Diamond camp and has now been "upcharged" into wanting the kit of Badlands, there are a number of reasons which make Badlands the entry point, in my non-offroad-experienced-brain, to avoid Black Diamond if the wallet allows. Sway bar disconnect wasn't a primary reason to go with Badlands, it's a little icing on the cake, but seems to be standard with the 210 front axle per the packages we see from Ford currently
  • 210 front axle will be mandatory over the 190 due to strength and also the steel housing of the transfer case

• While it's a gimmic, the "advanced 4x4" does give you a full-time 4x4 capability over the "part time 4x4" which is only 4x4 in the low range and RWD all over town.

• I see the 33" tires as all i'll ever need for the mild off-road duties i'll be trying out to build experience. Full disclosure: I don't plan on pumping modifications into this vehicle, I have the cars listed in my profile to tinker on and they are more fun to tinker on than modern "lego cars".

• Sasquatch suspension without the silly 35" tires or having to suffer with an automatic

• Front locker

• Wish the Badlands came with steelies. Much easier to paint and repair.

• I was not planning on having any package, Mid, High or Lux, so that didn't factor into wanting Badlands. Those all seem overpriced for perhaps a single item out of the package that I might ever want.

From everything I have seen, people are going with the Badlands either do to the marine-grade interior or the manual trans with front/rear lockers.

I haven’t seen too many people that go to Badlands purely due to the sway bar disconnect- they view it as an added bonus. I wish I could delete it. Seeing the issues with Rubicon’s system and the pending class-action lawsuit, I really prefer a traditional setup.
Manual and marine interior being available in the Black Diamond, it seems the real "entry offroad capable" Bronco (if avoiding Sasquatch) is Black Diamond or Badlands. So the extra $6K is just the hardware (listed above) that did it for me. Some in the Black Diamond thread have said they might go Badlands just to have access to the Lux package... To each their own!

MadMan4BamaNATL

Badlands
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco 2DR Badlands Sasquatch, 2021 RR Sport
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Does anyone have any thoughts on real world functionality of the sway bar disconnect on an independent front suspension (IFS) vehicle?

I've owned a Jeep and currently own a Power Wagon so am familiar with how effective a disconnect can be on rocks with a solid front axle (SFA).

Without the SFA pushing down the other tire and the associated reduced wheel travel from an IFS I'm less convinced the Sway Bar Disconnect in the Bronco is going to do all that much to improve traction. Is there any other vehicle that has this on an IFS or has anyone manually disconnected theirs on a 4 runners or something similar? Did it make much of a difference.

I see this as the primary reason folks are going Badlands versus a lesser/cheaper trim and I'm trying to wrap my head around if this will truly add much capability or will end being more of a party trick to check a box in competing with a SFA Jeep Rubicon.

If this was such a useful offroad feature wouldn't it be added standard to Sasquatch packages?

I guess we will find out once it's real world tested side by side with a Rubicon in the rocks, but just curious on y'all's thoughts on its real world usefulness.
Interesting.... You're new, have a 2019 FCA product, and haven't mentioned getting a Bronco either in your information or even with this post, just making an attempt to cast doubt on a feature of the Bronco. Almost like FCA marketing or propaganda, although not trying to indulge in a conspiracy theory; that would be just silly, right? ? Yep!

An electronic sway bar disconnect in itself is a complex option. the hydraulic actuator can and often does fail on Jeep products and likely will on the Bronco when off road wheeling.

However, they exist for a reason, which is simply to help to keep the vehicle cockpit level on uneven ground. This is the overall goal of Independent Suspension to begin with, so here, Ford has decided to add a little extra to this ability, yet you question it? It's self explanatory what the functionality would be in an IFS vehicle when off roading.

Do you need it? Well, no, it's a luxury item. This is the reason that it's only offered on Wrangler Rubicons and not a standard option for all trims; same reason here. A sway bar disconnect is only necessary if and when it's necessary which means for serious usage for those going off road. It's not an option to show off at the mall, but when your'e wheeling, any help at staying level will be much appreciated.

Someone who goes wheeling already clearly understands the utility of a disconnect.

OP
OP

BackcountryBirds

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ram Power Wagon
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Interesting.... You're new, have a 2019 FCA product, and haven't mentioned getting a Bronco either in your information or even with this post, just making an attempt to cast doubt on a feature of the Bronco. Almost like FCA marketing or propaganda, although not trying to indulge in a conspiracy theory; that would be just silly, right? ? Yep!

An electronic sway bar disconnect in itself is a complex option. the hydraulic actuator can and often does fail on Jeep products and likely will on the Bronco when off road wheeling.

However, they exist for a reason, which is simply to help to keep the vehicle cockpit level on uneven ground. This is the overall goal of Independent Suspension to begin with, so here, Ford has decided to add a little extra to this ability, yet you question it? It's self explanatory what the functionality would be in an IFS vehicle when off roading.

Do you need it? Well, no, it's a luxury item. This is the reason that it's only offered on Wrangler Rubicons and not a standard option for all trims; same reason here. A sway bar disconnect is only necessary if and when it's necessary which means for serious usage for those going off road. It's not an option to show off at the mall, but when your'e wheeling, any help at staying level will be much appreciated.

Someone who goes wheeling already clearly understands the utility of a disconnect.
Absolutely ridiculous. Yes I have owned a Jeep before and currently own a Power Wagon....you know vehicles that actually have the sway bar disco feature I'm discussing and actually have experience using (although on SFA vehicles).

Ridiculous to have to give credentials, but my first car was a 1982 Bronco and I drove a 2004 F150 FX4 for 15 years until it bit the dust at 260,000 miles and I moved to a mountain state where I needed more capability to get in the backcountry to hunt and fish and got my Power Wagon last year (which was actually about the cost of a nice F150). I like and have had good luck with both Ford and FCA. I'm not loyal to any brand, just want a competent/reliable product with my hard earned dollars that will get me safely home. I do plan on getting a 4 door bronco for my wife's car (any my eventual offroad toy once she tires of it a few years after), but we are probably going to wait a couple years to try to get a better deal or even a gently used one. Which also gives me a chance to see it in person and how it performs real world. Yes, I am new here. If you want to run off an old bronco owner, who actually has experience with multiple off-road vehicles and actually uses them pretty hard off-road/in the backcountry then I can gladly move along.

The disco is a new feature for IFS so I think many would find it to be a worthwhile discussion.

Sponsored

MadMan4BamaNATL

Badlands
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Absolutely ridiculous. Yes I have owned a Jeep before and currently own a Power Wagon....you know vehicles that actually have the sway bar disco feature I'm discussing and actually have experience using (although on SFA vehicles).

Ridiculous to have to give credentials, but my first car was a 1982 Bronco and I drove a 2004 F150 FX4 for 15 years until it bit the dust at 260,000 miles and I moved to a mountain state where I needed more capability to get in the backcountry to hunt and fish and got my Power Wagon last year (which was actually about the cost of a nice F150). I like and have had good luck with both Ford and FCA. I'm not loyal to any brand, just want a competent/reliable product with my hard earned dollars that will get me safely home. I do plan on getting a 4 door bronco for my wife's car (any my eventual offroad toy once she tires of it a few years after), but we are probably going to wait a couple years to try to get a better deal or even a gently used one. Which also gives me a chance to see it in person and how it performs real world. Yes, I am new here. If you want to run off an old bronco owner, who actually has experience with multiple off-road vehicles and actually uses them pretty hard off-road/in the backcountry then I can gladly move along.

The disco is a new feature for IFS so I think many would find it to be a worthwhile discussion.
Re-read your post man. You question the “functionality” of the disconnect. If you have experience with using one or going off road, that part is clear.

What isn’t necessary clear is what is sacrificed if you don’t have a disconnect. I said it is a luxury optoon, which it is.

You never stated owning anything other than your new Power Wagon, so that doesn’t tell anyone anything about what your knowledge base is particularly when you question what a disconnect will be used for in an IFS vehicle.

It’ll be used to increase articulation when necessary on trails, but you can get through those same obstacles regardless of having it or not. Having one will just make it a more comfortable exercise.

Nothing ridiculous or whatever in what I said or questioning what your knowledge baseline is when you ask a question like that.

OP
OP

BackcountryBirds

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ram Power Wagon
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Re-read your post man. You question the “functionality” of the disconnect. If you have experience with using one or going off road, that part is clear.

What isn’t necessary clear is what is sacrificed if you don’t have a disconnect. I said it is a luxury optoon, which it is.

You never stated owning anything other than your new Power Wagon, so that doesn’t tell anyone anything about what your knowledge base is particularly when you question what a disconnect will be used for in an IFS vehicle.

It’ll be used to increase articulation when necessary on trails, but you can get through those same obstacles regardless of having it or not. Having one will just make it a more comfortable exercise.

Nothing ridiculous or whatever in what I said or questioning what your knowledge baseline is when you ask a question like that.
Obviously the difference between IFS and SFA and how a Sway Bar Disconnect may vary in performance is lost on you. On a SFA you absolutely can get through "more obstacles" with it disconnected as it significantly improves articulation, "comfort" is not why it is there although it is an added bonus. If you are saying it's there in the bronco for comfort purposes but can get through same obstacles without then you validate my question on its functionality on an IFS. Honest question have you even ever owned/driven a vehicle with a sway bar disconnect? Sounds like you are speaking out of your league here a bit.

MadMan4BamaNATL

Badlands
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Obviously the difference between IFS and SFA and how a Sway Bar Disconnect may vary in performance is lost on you. On a SFA you absolutely can get through "more obstacles" with it disconnected as it significantly improves articulation, "comfort" is not why it is there although it is an added bonus. If you are saying it's there in the bronco for comfort purposes but can get through same obstacles without then you validate my question on its functionality on an IFS. Honest question have you even ever owned/driven a vehicle with a sway bar disconnect? Sounds like you are speaking out of your league here a bit.
You can go wheeling in something other than a Rubicon. Even in a Wrangler, you don’t need a sway bar disconnect, never did; only makes life easier.

Land Rovers don’t have disconnects, but I’ll put a disco up against anything you throw at it, and I mean a new one and the tires won’t be 35s.

What gets you through obstacles is driver skill. Technology can make life easier, but you can live without it.

Better to have all 4 wheels on the terra firma, but it ain’t necessary. These days traction control systems can do most of the work.

Since I called a disconnect a luxury option, think it’s understood that its just a nice to have on an IFS and not a necessity; that was clear in my first post.

A base wrangler with a lift and upgraded suspension with no disconnect can go the same places as the Rubicon can with the disconnect, but it’ll be harder and not feel as level. Guys do it everyday.

ekim

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep TJ, Ford Excursion
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
A base wrangler with a lift and upgraded suspension with no disconnect can go the same places as the Rubicon can with the disconnect, but it’ll be harder and not feel as level. Guys do it everyday.
I have a 2000 Jeep Sport with some mods. I've been in many situations where not having the sway bar disconnected (or very loose - eg Currie AntiRock) would have put me on my lid. I've been on my lid too, so I I'm pretty familiar with the notion of pushing things to the limit. I can tell you with no doubt that I would have more seat time with the rubber side up if I didn't run a disco. It has nothing to do with traction and everything to do with stability and control. You're welcome to your opinion but I feel compelled to share my real world experience so that people at are not mislead into believing that the above statement is a fact. It's very much just one person's opinion. You can call my position an opinion too if you like. Readers of this thread can make their own judgement.

MadMan4BamaNATL

Badlands
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have a 2000 Jeep Sport with some mods. I've been in many situations where not having the sway bar disconnected (or very loose - eg Currie AntiRock) would have put me on my lid. I've been on my lid too, so I I'm pretty familiar with the notion of pushing things to the limit. I can tell you with no doubt that I would have more seat time with the rubber side up if I didn't run a disco. It has nothing to do with traction and everything to do with stability and control. You're welcome to your opinion but I feel compelled to share my real world experience so that people at are not mislead into believing that the above statement is a fact. It's very much just one person's opinion. You can call my position an opinion too if you like. Readers of this thread can make their own judgement.
I appreciate and agree with your post, but think you may have sort of blew past this:

"An electronic sway bar disconnect in itself is a complex option. the hydraulic actuator can and often does fail on Jeep products and likely will on the Bronco when off road wheeling.

Someone who goes wheeling already clearly understands the utility of a disconnect."
Sponsored