Sponsored

Aftermarket Electronic Sway Bar Disconnect?

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I was curious as well.
The Black Diamond comes with the G.O.A.T. Rock Crawl mode, which electronically disconnects sway bar. But the BD doesn't come with SBD, so how will this work? Can SBD be added and programmed aftermarket??
Such a great question. Hoping someone will know the answer and post asap
Sponsored

North7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Realistically there shouldn't be much stopping you from swapping the OEM disconnect into the vehicle. The question is going to be how far Ford buried the system in the rest of the vehicle. What I mean by that is if it is hydraulic, there likely is some type of control valve of module that the button sends a command to operate/disconnect. If that module has 2 power leads and 2 CAN BUS leads then it should be extremely simple to install and have function just like OEM with the OEM switch. If however this module is interconnected with other modules like the PCM, BCM, etc... then it gets progressively harder install.
Full description here.

BWI Bronco Stabilizer Bar Disconnect Technical Information

Zackmd1

Outer Banks
First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mustang 429, Ford Bronco 2dr Outer Banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

North7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

So it does look self contained which is good from a hardware standpoint. Now just need wiring diagrams of the bronco to know how it’s being controlled....
And where the mph signal is coming from to reconnect it at 20mph. That may be CAN BUS or could simply be a discreet.

Zackmd1

Outer Banks
First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

And where the mph signal is coming from to reconnect it at 20mph. That may be CAN BUS or could simply be a discreet.
That is likely CAN. Hopefully this is a stand alone system (2 power wires and 2 CAN BUS).... If that is the case then it would be incredibly easy to install. If however it is being controlled by the PCM then it makes it a tad harder as it could also require a tune to activate it even if you wired it in correctly. Still not impossible to do though.

Sponsored

Apples

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep JLUR, 2004 Lexus GX470
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
My guess is, as long as you don't care about having it tie into all the GOAT modes etc, it would be relatively easy to swap in an OEM SBD from a wrecked Bronco or what have you.

Once you eliminate all of the speed control/GOAT mode stuff it should boil down to a simple on/off scenario. Apply power and the hydraulic mechanism disconnects. Turn it off and it locks back up.

The OEM e-locker in the Xterra worked this way. There was an entire BCM configuration that made sure you were in 4Lo, that there wasn't any bind in the rear axle and that you were below 5mph. But in the end, you could operate the locker with a power lead and a ground. Two more wires could be used to enable the factory locker light as well.

The BCM checks were such a PITA that even people who had the locker from the factory were going to the trouble to bypass it. You just had to make sure you didn't accidently engage the locker at highway speed or bye-bye rear gears.

Zackmd1

Outer Banks
First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

My guess is, as long as you don't care about having it tie into all the GOAT modes etc, it would be relatively easy to swap in an OEM SBD from a wrecked Bronco or what have you.

Once you eliminate all of the speed control/GOAT mode stuff it should boil down to a simple on/off scenario. Apply power and the hydraulic mechanism disconnects. Turn it off and it locks back up.

The OEM e-locker in the Xterra worked this way. There was an entire BCM configuration that made sure you were in 4Lo, that there wasn't any bind in the rear axle and that you were below 5mph. But in the end, you could operate the locker with a power lead and a ground. Two more wires could be used to enable the factory locker light as well.

The BCM checks were such a PITA that even people who had the locker from the factory were going to the trouble to bypass it. You just had to make sure you didn't accidently engage the locker at highway speed or bye-bye rear gears.
Right so if it is routed through the PCM then your method might work. If routed through the PCM then the PCM would likely just be activating a solenoid and thus should be easy to just wire it to a switch (would be funny if someone wired it to the AUX switches). If it works the way I am hoping, then it would be a standalone system where you would wire it into the appropriate CAN level and add the dash switch. It SHOULD be just that simple and once all of the hardware is added should work just like OEM.

brunjc2

Base
First Name
Jud
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 VW GTI
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

@Zackmd1 are you looking to do the retrofit to your Bronco?

Zackmd1

Outer Banks
First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

@Zackmd1 are you looking to do the retrofit to your Bronco?
Oh I plan to do ALOT to my poor base Bronco.... Basically a la carte with the OEM stuff I want and none of the stuff I don't want... Did the same with my 2015 Mustang when it was new. I was part of the first group that figured out how to upgrade the base 4" screen to the 8" Sync screen.

So prelim list includes.....

Sway bar
12" screen
Auto climate
(should be as simple as just swapping the controls to dual zone. You will not get dual zone climate but you will get auto climate and the dual zone controls will still operate the HVAC just fine. This is assuming the base system hasn't changed much from the mustang or any other Ford vehicle)
marine grade vinyl
LED tail lights
Aftermarket 33's
(or 35's... haven't decided yet)
Possibly locking diffs down the road (this heavily depends on availability, cost, and effort to make functional. It is a nice to have but not a requirement for me)

I am not going Sasquatch since I think the price tag is a tad to high and I don't quite like the gearing it forces you into but I do want a lot of the drivetrain goodies it gives.

brunjc2

Base
First Name
Jud
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 VW GTI
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Oh I plan to do ALOT to my poor base Bronco.... Basically a la carte with the OEM stuff I want and none of the stuff I don't want... Did the same with my 2015 Mustang when it was new.

Sway bar
12" screen
marine grade vinyl
LED tail lights
Aftermarket 33's (or 35's... haven't decided yet)
Possibly locking diffs down the road (this heavily depends on availability, cost, and effort to make functional. It is a nice to have but not a requirement for me)

I am not going Sasquatch since I think the price tag is a tad to high and I don't quite like the gearing it forces you into but I do want a lot of the drivetrain goodies it gives.
I’ve got my eye on the sway bar disconnect swap... if it does require additional CAN bus integration, I’m going to use a product I designed/manufacture to do it. Doing my research to see how many others want to do the swap, and if a unit is needed, I’ll manufacture/sell it.

Ford Bronco Aftermarket Electronic Sway Bar Disconnect? 1A7B65C7-175A-4EA9-A4B1-B2B6B0BAB4FB

Sponsored

drive21bronco

Black Diamond
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Maybe Ford performance will offer something? I plan to just unbolt mine before I hit any trails that will require it to be disconnected on my Black Diamond.

North7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Oh I plan to do ALOT to my poor base Bronco.... Basically a la carte with the OEM stuff I want and none of the stuff I don't want... Did the same with my 2015 Mustang when it was new. I was part of the first group that figured out how to upgrade the base 4" screen to the 8" Sync screen.

Sway bar
12" screen
Auto climate
(should be as simple as just swapping the controls to dual zone. You will not get dual zone climate but you will get auto climate and the dual zone controls will still operate the HVAC just fine. This is assuming the base system hasn't changed much from the mustang or any other Ford vehicle)
marine grade vinyl
LED tail lights
Aftermarket 33's
(or 35's... haven't decided yet)

And when your all done with that, you will have a...

Badlands

Buy once, cry once.

Apples

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep JLUR, 2004 Lexus GX470
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Buying and building are two different experiences. Neither are wrong.
Yeah. I enjoyed the hell out of building my Xterra. But it got to the point where I was spending more time tweaking than wheeling. I'm still going to modify my Bronco but I want to roll off the lot ready to take on anything.

brunjc2

Base
First Name
Jud
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 VW GTI
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Yeah. I enjoyed the hell out of building my Xterra. But it got to the point where I was spending more time tweaking than wheeling. I'm still going to modify my Bronco but I want to roll off the lot ready to take on anything.
I ordered a Base Sasquatch. It’s close to perfect. Most of me wants to thrash it as is and not touch a thing. So many new vehicles I look at are some level of compromise, but this one—damn near perfect for me.
Sponsored