Sponsored

Disconnecting Sway Bar Worth It For a Rookie Offroader?

PotatoSalad

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Hi All,

I currently I have a Sasquatch Black Diamond Mid-Package build that runs to just shy of $52K. Since I'm going to have to re-order for the 2022 MY I've been rethinking my build a lot and am now leaning towards going to a Badlands. Assuming pricing stays the same, I could get the non-Sasquatch BL with a high-package for around $54K, so only $2K more. I want to keep the rugged qualities (MGV and wash out floors), so those are the only trims I'm looking at.

It's a bit hard to justify the sasquatch BL because at that point I'm upping my price by nearly $5K, so my main question is how much of a difference is the disconnecting sway bar when offroading? Most of my offroading will be trails and light mud in SE Texas, but my family does have a cabin in Colorado so I know it will see at least some of the trails up there. It won't be anything crazy though. I've never done any offroading in a vehicle with a disconnecting sway bar, so I have no idea how big of a difference it actually makes.

Am I better off with 33" tires and disconnecting sway bars or the bigger wheels and slightly higher ground clearance? If I do go with a Badlands how will it do down the road if I decide to put 35's on it with the 4.46 gear ratio?

I'm really just trying to talk myself into a Sasquatch BL so any peer pressure is encouraged.
Sponsored

Lab00Rat

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 BL 2-Door, 2021 Ford Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Since I'm going to have to re-order for the 2022 MY I've been rethinking my build a lot and am now leaning towards going to a Badlands.
Not sure why you'd need to re-order, but if you want the BLs, get the BLs.

Something about the best always works...

604Bronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bronco6g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Not sure why you'd need to re-order, but if you want the BLs, get the BLs.

Something about the best always works...
Pretty sure we’ll have to re-submit our orders once the MY22 window opens in September. They won’t just magically transfer over, as there will be some slight changes I’m sure.

iamchewby

Badlands
First Name
Chewby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Disconnecting the sway bar is HUGE off road. However, if you don't plan on off roading a lot and don't need other options that are wrapped up in the BL, skip it.

The automatic disconnect and the fact that it can be done while under load is neat, but it can be done manually, with tools, in under 10 minutes before you hit the trail. I'm sure the aftermarket will have some form of quick disconnect that would still require crawling underneath the truck, but can be done in about 2 minutes.

I wasn't going to go BL, but I want the high package and a manual trans... so here I am lol

chaseshort24

Black Diamond
First Name
Chase
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 4runner, 1995 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
If you're not going to be in situations where your wheels are crossed up often, (which it sounds like you won't) then I think you should stick with the Black Diamond. IF you were a regular in moab, or wanted to do the Rubicon then I would say otherwise.

Also, with the Black Diamond Sasquatch, you will have lockers front and rear, so even if you can't keep all 4 on the ground, your lockers will pull you through no problem.

Sponsored

rkj__

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sierra, Countryman, RZR
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
It does not make a ton of difference if you have a tire 0.25" off the ground, or 5" off the ground. That tire has zero traction in either scenario. It can be helpful in some scenarios, but in others, it's just a "party trick."

The Bronze

First Edition
First Name
Kelly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1986 Suzuki Samurai, 1967 Ford Bronco, 1993 Turbo Notchback, 2006 Sierra K1500, 2013 Sierra K1500, 2014 Sienna Mini-Van
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

I spent a week so far in both Badlands and non-Badlands and I can tell you that once I hit a trail, the first thing I would do was disconnect. Sure it increases the articulation; The trails we were running, often times the BL would go right up where the non-BL would start to have tire spin. But the biggest benefit in my opinion is in reducing the side-to-side sway. The ride on all the models are pretty damn nice, but driver and passenger both notice when the bar isn’t disconnected. I bet a dozen times as passenger I reached over and disconnect it after I felt it wasn’t activated. I can’t wait until someone finds a way to re-program the reconnect speed to 30 MPH or faster.

Buddy Lee

Banned
Big Bend
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Geo Storm V8 & Lincoln Mark IX prototype
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
It doesn't sound like you do the kind of off-roading to see the big benefit of electric discos, especially at a cost of $5k. If you think you will get into rock crawling or some pretty janky trails where you need to climb over rocks or fallen trees, then go BL for sure. Most off-roading I did in the jeep didn't even need to disconnect, but sure made things easier and cut down the pucker factor on a few obstacles. For the times I needed to disconnect, the aftermarket came through with quick disconnect kits that took less than 5 minutes to do. With that said, I am not as familiar with the new Bronco suspension setup to say with absolute certainty there will be a quick disconnect kit, but I would be surprised if someone in the aftermarket didn't come up with one.

Out for curiosity, you mention going to high package and Badlands and keeping Sasquatch. At first when I read your post I was thinking $5k for just the discos was crazy, but you have alot of other value added items there. Are you focused on the high package for the bigger screen, or to get the front and 360 trail cams? Does going back to mid package get you closer to what you feel comfy spending? Trying to work up my peer pressure approach...

OP
OP
PotatoSalad

PotatoSalad

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Out for curiosity, you mention going to high package and Badlands and keeping Sasquatch. At first when I read your post I was thinking $5k for just the discos was crazy, but you have alot of other value added items there. Are you focused on the high package for the bigger screen, or to get the front and 360 trail cams? Does going back to mid package get you closer to what you feel comfy spending? Trying to work up my peer pressure approach...
The big screen and 360 cams are the big attraction, but I also like the thought of going high package just to have something nice. In the past 10 years I've owned a 2001 Dodge Ram and a 2014 Fusion SE. Both great vehicles, but lower trims and nothing exciting about them. I plan on driving this Bronco until the wheels fall off, so I have half a mind of go big or go home (within reason).

OP
OP
PotatoSalad

PotatoSalad

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I asked him how often he uses his sway-bar disconnect… “I used it when I first got it to show my wife and I haven’t used it since”.
This is my big fear of going to Badlands. I'm also really tempted by the high package, but the auto sway bar is the main selling point when I think of taking the rig to CO.

Sponsored

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Escape, Focus
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

This is my big fear of going to Badlands. I'm also really tempted by the high package, but the auto sway bar is the main selling point when I think of taking the rig to CO.
If it helps your decision (it probably won’t), I don’t think the high package is worth it.

$1300 for a 12” screen instead of an 8” screen along with a bunch of cameras. Don’t get me wrong… the 360-degree camera is cool and all… but my hunch is you’ll be spending the vast majority of your time looking outside your vehicle and not at your infotainment screen.

If the high package had adaptive cruise control, then it would absolutely be worth it. But of course Ford saved adaptive cruise control for the lux package. Smart move on Ford’s part really… each of these packages come with 1 or 2 amazing features and then a bunch of token features that I suspect very few people care about. Yet those 1 or 2 amazing features really entice people to upgrade to the next package.

Buddy Lee

Banned
Big Bend
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Geo Storm V8 & Lincoln Mark IX prototype
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
The big screen and 360 cams are the big attraction, but I also like the thought of going high package just to have something nice. In the past 10 years I've owned a 2001 Dodge Ram and a 2014 Fusion SE. Both great vehicles, but lower trims and nothing exciting about them. I plan on driving this Bronco until the wheels fall off, so I have half a mind of go big or go home (within reason).
Well, when you talk about buying for life...

IDyeti

Black Diamond
First Name
SPAM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco BD
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Where's the cabin at?

Born and raised in Colorado, had a similar dilemma but didn't once think I need the SBD for when I go back home. I do feel its tool more for those that are on the new side to wheeling (workaround: wrenches). Same for the camera being more of noob tool, but I could see that being more useful in places than the SBD. Both options are a hard cost pill to swallow in my opinion. There's a few trails in Colorado where I would rather be in a Sasquatched Bronco than a Badlands on 33's, Spring Creek for instance (workaround: bypass and winch cable). But Red Cone, CO or Wipeout Hill in Moab where all you can see is sky at one point that camera might be a nice tool (workaround: spotter).

I don't want to regear and I know at some point I'll put 37's on, so the 4.70 will keep you in the green zone on gearing charts but you'll be in the yellow with 4.46's. So that could help your decision out, if you never see yourself going with 37's then 4.46 will be fine for you.
Ford Bronco Disconnecting Sway Bar Worth It For a Rookie Offroader? 1629154066877

Almost too many factors to make a clear decision but optional workarounds pointed me to the BD sasquatch. I am going to put the money savings towards a case of Law's or 291 Whiskey next Colorado visit.

That said I'd be more worried about driving in Colorado with Texas plates!!!

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
If it was me, I would go non-sas BL over the SAS BD. That's just me. Mostly because, the 5% gear difference is a non-issue if you install 35" tires later. Plus the high package display and SBD are worth the $2k anyway. Also, remember, the Bronco has a better crawl rate with the manual than the Jeep does... so that chart isn't 100% appropriate for the Bronco.

JMiles74

Black Diamond
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Camry
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I was in the same position as you. I have a Black Diamond Sasquatch ordered but also pushed to an MY22 build. I too am new to off roading. I've read and studied the reasoning for the sway bar disconnect and i finally decided that i am changing my build to a Badlands Sasquatch. On this one shear reasoning...it is better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it. I doubt i will do many trails that will require the articulation that the disconnect provides but then again who knows? Maybe i will. I also really liked the look of ther 12" screen over the 8" which can't be ordered on the Black Diamond. Even more reason for me to switch...so go ahead and make the switch, you wont regret it!
Sponsored