Sponsored

Anything scarier than running out of warranty... which extended warranty to get (if any)?

Midnight_Blue

Outer Banks
First Name
Jeremiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
What’s a “Homer”?
All of the quotes below are from just the first two pages of the thread, i.e., not that hard to figure out.

I currently have a 2013 F350 and 2014 F550, both long out of warranty. Both requiring maintenance and random fixes.

I just got the F350 back from the shop after having the BCM replaced.
About to hit 170k on my daily driver F150.
For me no, the warranty I was offered on a ‘15 350 was an astronomical amount.
2011 F 150, negotiated the extended warranty.
I had an '02 Ranger
My 2010 Escape
My 2016 Explorer
My 88 ranger 4-cyl, my 02 4-cyl, my 06 v-6 mustang and my 16 fusion hybrid. All american made. My 69 4-cyl Cortina, my 73 4-cyl Capri and my 76 v-6 Capri never had the issue. Any other snarky remarks?
250k on my 3.5 F-150 Ecoboost
We’ve owned Ford pretty exclusively since around 1998.
Sponsored

OP
OP
buzpro

buzpro

Outer Banks
First Name
Binky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I partially agree with the assessment of German cars, disagree about Toyota, as compared to American cars. I'll start off by sharing all of our cars are or have been well maintained.

1) German Cars - My family has owned or owns German cars. Each time they are serviced it costs $1,000 - $1,500. My daughter's 2004 Audi A6 3.0 fell out of warranty after 5 years and transmission died at 49,000. Audi wanted to charge more than the car was worth to repair. Disappointed with Audi's engineering and customer support. Note: We do have a manual VW Jetta Fastback that is still going strong at 160,000.
2) Toyota - We owned a 4Runner. Loved the vehicle but the frame rotted out at 150,000.
Toyota would not consider any relief although there is a history of their Tacoma & 4Runner frames rotting out mfg. by Dana Industries. We were forced to sell it for parts...don' trust Toyota's reliability anymore.
3) Ford Mo. Co. - We have owned several Fords. Ford stepped up when our 1999 Expedition blew head gaskets at 54,000. Ford Mfg. backed us into an ESP warranty. Had to only pay $1,800 for a $8,500 repair bill. The Expedition still running at 210,000 miles. Yes there have been repair costs along the way, but nothing significant. Use it as our 3rd vehicle and for guests to use.

Living in the NE, my experience has been that our American cars are every bit as mechanically reliable and also cheaper to maintain. That Ford can be counted on as a Mfg. & we are blessed to have a great local Ford dealership. IMO Toyota's are overrated and German cars are expensive. Buy American when possible.
Hello from a former NEer (Western Mass) ..... I know what you're saying but mechanically I think most cars are sound these days ,,,,, what scares me is all the electronics that even experts have a hard time figuring out ..... this is my first Ford and it doesn't have all that great of a reputation ..... its is however one of the Premier marketing companies out there.