First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Camaro 16 JKU Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Base
I'm considering getting an extended warranty but, I've had a really bad experience when I tried to use my Jeep factory extended warranty.
I ended up having to get a lawyer and finally got them to refund my money.
For those of you that have a warranty through Ford what is you opinion?
Thanks
Sponsored

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Escape, Focus
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Probably an unpopular opinion... but personally I've always felt like having a general purpose emergency fund is better than an extended warranty.

Extended warranties are kind of like gambling. If you end up with a major issue, than obviously the warranty may end up paying for itself. But if you don't, you just pissed away thousands of dollars that could have been spent on something else or invested. Combine that with the fact that most people roll their warranty cost into their auto loan and they are now paying interest on their gambling as well.

If the Bronco is your only vehicle and you need that vehicle in your daily life, then a warranty for major breakdowns can make a lot of sense, because you are treating the warranty more as an insurance policy to ensure you can continue your daily life. In the Ford world, that would be PowertrainCARE. In certain situations it may also make sense to have BaseCARE on the Bronco, because it covers items like the brakes and stabilizer bar disconnect module on Badlands.

But if your Bronco is a second or third vehicle and you don't need it to function every day, then I don't think a warranty is worth it. I also don't think the more premium warranties like ExtraCARE and PremiumCARE are worth. If your audio system dies, sure it can suck, but your Bronco can still achieve the core function of getting from point A to point B. I don't see the point in spending money to warranty something that isn't critical to your daily life.

Black_Stallion13

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Pretty simple… never buy an extended warranty for a vehicle, period. You’ll have the same hassle that you had before if u ever do try to actually use it.

dingle87

Black Diamond
First Name
Reese
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Explorer XLT
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

The only reason I bought one, okay 2 reasons....
1) I was at Granger and the price was right ($50 over cost) and
2) one of my 2 private offers more than covered the cost of the extended warranty.

Bullitt

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco, 2001 Bullitt Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I went with a 10yr/125k mi Ford PremiumCARE for a few reasons...

- I retired this year and had the funds to purchase with cash
- There are a lot of electronics and high-dollar components on a Bronco
- Repair costs are increasing each year and imagine the cost out of your pocket 6 years from now
- Peace of mind...it's nice knowing that I'm only out $100 per warrantied repair
- Warranty is transferrable and refundable (pro-rated)

Sponsored

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
I'm considering getting an extended warranty but, I've had a really bad experience when I tried to use my Jeep factory extended warranty.
I ended up having to get a lawyer and finally got them to refund my money.
For those of you that have a warranty through Ford what is you opinion?
Thanks
I didn't get the extended warranty, mainly because I usually work on my own vehicles, which can significantly reduce repair costs. Some of my friends know little about mechanics, get taken to the cleaners on repairs, and in that case a warranty could be useful.

broncorik

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I went with one because the Bronco is so new and kinks are not worked out yet...and also because even if a LED headlight goes out a couple of years down the road that costs nearly as much as a warranty. I was able to get it from Flood Ford before CA outlawed getting policies from out of state (shocker) and it was WAY cheaper than my selling dealer was willing to write me one for.

ksdon

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
We used Ford points to get a pretty cheap extended warranty.
Electric gas pedal, electric brake pedal, electronic steering etc.....You seldom know up front, but there is a good chance that 5-6 years from now our extended warranty will pay for itself.

DougF

Badlands
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I bought the Ford PremiumCare 10yr/100k for a couple of reasons (some stated above)…

Granger price of $2000. I got it to cover the lighting and keys also…

paid for it outright (no interest)…

and had a rear axle failure 400 miles into ownership and thought “OMG… what next?!?” At least I know I’m covered.

reading The threads on this forum (don’t get me wrong, I love this forum, but Geez, you’d think everything on this vehicle is vulnerable and wonder what kind of problems am I gonna have?).

Bottom line…it’s what you feel comfortable with.

BCKMRKR

Wildtrak
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Wildtrak 2-Door, '19 Miata, '15 M235i
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
One other consideration, which really shouldn't be, is that previous posts have mentioned that certain Ford dealers had refused warranty work when customers bought their Bronco from another / out of area dealer.

Sponsored

Headsong

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Black Diamond non squatch 4 door softtop v6
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Very expensive components now, that are assemblies, so they can't be taken apart.
And... No one diagnoses anymore, they just change parts until problem goes away. Only takes one part.

jrollo7

Black Diamond
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Range Rover Sport
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Probably an unpopular opinion... but personally I've always felt like having a general purpose emergency fund is better than an extended warranty.

Extended warranties are kind of like gambling. If you end up with a major issue, than obviously the warranty may end up paying for itself. But if you don't, you just pissed away thousands of dollars that could have been spent on something else or invested. Combine that with the fact that most people roll their warranty cost into their auto loan and they are now paying interest on their gambling as well.

If the Bronco is your only vehicle and you need that vehicle in your daily life, then a warranty for major breakdowns can make a lot of sense, because you are treating the warranty more as an insurance policy to ensure you can continue your daily life. In the Ford world, that would be PowertrainCARE. In certain situations it may also make sense to have BaseCARE on the Bronco, because it covers items like the brakes and stabilizer bar disconnect module on Badlands.

But if your Bronco is a second or third vehicle and you don't need it to function every day, then I don't think a warranty is worth it. I also don't think the more premium warranties like ExtraCARE and PremiumCARE are worth. If your audio system dies, sure it can suck, but your Bronco can still achieve the core function of getting from point A to point B. I don't see the point in spending money to warranty something that isn't critical to your daily life.
A “general emergency fund” doesn’t come close to what you would need for any basic repair. A $800 warranty cost for 8 years is nothing. One basic repair costs more than that. You would need at least a few thousand in a fund to cover repairs over 5-8 years.
Extended warranty makes sense to me and paid it off interest free in first six months with Ford Rewards Visa card.

SuperFord

First Edition
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Some of you have no idea how high an automotive repair bill can be these days.

Seemingly minor things can costs thousands of dollars. You are driving a rolling computer with an array of electronics that you most likely can’t work on at home and many independent shops won’t be able to handle either.

Many dealership hourly labor rates are fast approaching $200 PER HOUR and newsflash, like everything else, parts are also expensive!

If you want a warranty, negotiate the best price and buy Ford Protect Premium Care for as long as you plan to own the vehicle.

The naysayers won’t be there to help you pay the bill for an expensive repair when the time comes.

an engine replacement these days can be $10,000. We aren’t in the good old days anymore.

Coralhead

Base
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Bronco Base Squatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
Where I bought my '23 Base Squatch, they where trying to sell me an extended warranty that was 10% of the cost of the vehicle. No thank you.

Felix808

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
After 746 days, a MY22 4-door Badlands Bronco :-)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

And no one is going to worm out of coverage you paid for with this approach which will be the first thing that happens if you modified your vehicle in any way ;).

YMMV, but seems you've had some of the same experience with Jeep 🤠
Sponsored