Sponsored

Are the Anderson Composites and AVD Hard Tops better than the Stock OEM Hard Top ? ? ? ?

2fast4u

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT500 and Bronco Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I would love to hear input on this. Why do you guys think they are better?

Do you think they will hold up over time better then OEM?
Sponsored

Jander76

Badlands
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Anderson composite is a copy of the OEM - still believe it will be better quality.
Adv Fiberglass looks pretty promising, but until the bronco tax taking the total to around 8k goes down.. it isn't happening for me haha

Toccoa

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Isuzu Rodeo Sport
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
OEM = cardboard encased in plastic
Anderson and ADV = fiberglass (like virtually every other hardtop)

Quality and lifespan of one vs. another? 🤷‍♂️ If I had to place a bet, I know which one I wouldn't choose. :LOL:

Sponsored

Moto26

Black Diamond
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 F150 4x4 SuperCab STX -- 2016 Yamaha XSR900
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
No one who dropped the factory top to get built quickly will want to admit they made a $6-8k mistake.
No one who stuck with the hard top will admit that waiting another year for their Bronco absolutely sucked, and the OEM hard top was not worth waiting for.

AKBronc49

Outer Banks
First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
11 F150,02 Excursion,06 Chrysler 300C,21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I'm an early build with a first run of the MIC2 top, luckily for me its been flawless and holding up well to what Alaska can throw at it. That said both aftermarket tops look good although no ADV have been delivered yet I assume they will be good like their other parts.

I wasn't going to make any concessions on my build and I think it was my super early reservation that got me all the deadly sins on my 21. I feel for those who have been waiting literally years at this point. IDK what I'd do if I was put in the same situation if I would drop the hard top or not.

Ixr

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda civic
Your Bronco Model
Base
No one who stuck with the hard top will admit that waiting another year for their Bronco absolutely sucked, and the OEM hard top was not worth waiting for.
I waited 52 weeks. Seems to be less than a lot of builds soft or hardtop. I didn't have a option either way for tops because I got a 2 door.

It was worth the wait. I would have waited for a 4 door hard top if I was going 4 door because I think the soft top just looks bad.

Essmith94

Badlands
First Name
Edward
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Sierra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

No one who dropped the factory top to get built quickly will want to admit they made a $6-8k mistake.
Changed from Wildtrak to Badlands and dropped the hardtop for the soft. I’ve been driving my Bronco since Oct ‘21 and it has been WELL worth it. The Bronco spends half the year with no top on at all so you do you and enjoy your ride.

Sponsored

BroncoBoy22

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'11 Mustang GT 5.0
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

They are better than OEM no doubt. With ADV you get better materials and a unique design. With Anderson you get a licensed version of OEM but with better materials and a cheaper price than ADV.

Both good choices IMO. And Anderson’s is in customers’ hands already.

You’re in Rancho so you might be able to see the Anderson’s top in person tomorrow at Ford of Upland. See below:

I’m going to go to see if I can check one out in person before pulling the trigger

lakesinai

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 4dr OBX MIC 2.7 Rear Locker A51 Roast
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

You have to define "better". My MIC hardtop is well made, light, sturdy, and has held up well over 18 months and 31,000 miles. I blew a panel off the car once, did an epoxy- carbon repair, and it has held up well. It is definately well worth the $800 or 1200 upcharge at configuration. Those who disparage the top as "made of cardboard" don't understand infusion construction in aircraft, boats or cars. I do understand that some tops have been defective, but there are many of us problem free. There is wind noise from my 4dr top, since there are seams from 5 (five) panels that all can leak air or water . . . Mine has never l leaked water, except an early drip at a front seam that resolved after I put the panels off and on a couple of times.

Advanced Fiberglass Composites will only sell a 1 (one) piece or 3 (three) piece 4-door top. No OEM style 5-piece. This will make for less wind noise and less seams for leakage of water or air. Is this "better"? Only if you dont want to take off much of your top. I like the OEM MIC because I can remove everything except the cap. Is this better? It is for me because I'm willing to live with the wind noise and complexity of the 5-piece top in exchange for the fun of being able to remove the whole top! Is this better? Its a choice of options that I happily make, without whining about the downsides of my choice.

On the 2 full-size Broncos I owned in the 1990 decade, I never removed the top. Of course, that car had a permanent metal roof over the front seats. If I wanted that experience again, I'd order the Bronco with a softtop, and buy the one-piece AFC top for $7,000. Nothing to leak. Less noise. If I wanted a seasonal softtop, I could still do that, with an apparatus to remove the one-piece AFC top, and a place to store it while I used the soft-top.

All that said, I've bought a Besttop Skyrider to make it easier to open up the top. I like the security of keeping the rear shell on, and the convenience of the small half-rack on it. Is this better? For me it is. For now. This is why I bought the Bronco: its endlessly reconfigurable. Thats the beauty of this wonderful car, that each of us makes our own.

20230309_150710.jpg

OP
OP
2fast4u

2fast4u

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT500 and Bronco Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I was wondering if it’s a good idea to have the OEM hardtop painted or possibly Line x to keep it looking good long-term? Or just keep it as is and keep protectant on it

lakesinai

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 4dr OBX MIC 2.7 Rear Locker A51 Roast
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I was wondering if it’s a good idea to have the OEM hardtop painted or possibly Line x to keep it looking good long-term? Or just keep it as is and keep protectant on it
I decided to not paint mine because i cannot avoid minor scratches and abrasions since there are some times when it goes on and on every day. Lots of handling. Coatings can chip on the edges, paint scratches.