Sponsored

Are the stock squatch tires really that bad?

Combustion_King

Badlands
First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So far ive had no issues with mine, 20K on them as we speak, i got off roading, done rock, highway for lone ride etc.

May even consider getting a take off set when they need to be replaced.
Sponsored

Kevin Scarbel

Everglades
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Bronco Everglades 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Everglades
I’ve been looking at replacing my stock Sasquatch Goodyears for a little while now and wow are there a lot of options. But the thing that really gets me is the pricing. I can’t seem to justify paying double the cost of new oem’s for other brands. Can bfg’s or toyos or Bridgestones or whatever really be worth that much more money? The only complaint I’ve really heard is that the oem tires pick up and throw rocks like crazy, which they do. But other than that I think they’ve been great for 40k miles. To buy a new set of 35” Goodyears is $1024 otd. Most other major brands are double that cost. Now I’m not doing any major off roading or rock crawling but if I wanted to, I think these tires would be more than capable. So why is everyone so willing to pay more for these other brands? Why is it worth it to you?
My issue is the significant additional weight of the other tire options, typically a 10 pound leap which is massive.

Dialtone

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Big Bend Mid
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
That’s what I’m sayin. I’m just trying to find out why people are paying twice the money for different tires other than going to a bigger size? Is it just a name brand thing 🤷🏽‍♂️
Like a lot of mods no matter the vehicle. Some make changes for sound technical reasons that meet a desired goal and some do it for bragging rights. Both are legit reasons but the technical guys are who I listen to.

SeptuagenarianSasquatch

Badlands
First Name
Randall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The OEM Goodyears have been discussed very extensively on several threads. May I politely suggest that you search an issue before starting a new thread?

That said, there's a broad range of opinions and experience out there, many of them intense. My take: They're a very good all-around tire for most Sasquatch owners' needs. They're not that heavy, but they're not that quiet. They handle highway very well, snow superbly, rain a bit on the "less" side. They'll take you over most any obstacle, especially if you have front/rear lockers, but they have their limits. You might want to upgrade if you're doing the Rubicon.

I'm approaching 35K, most of that New England pavement, with about 5-7 off-road, and of that, maybe 1K serious trail driving, with lots of good rubber. I've already bought their replacements, K02s, which I got on a very good promotion.

One problem I've had which others haven't mentioned: Besides rock chucking (tapers off at 5K), they hold rocks which work their way up through the ply and puncture them. I had three such incidents in Utah (trail and maintained unpaved road). But I hadn't deflated--my bad. Invest in a good compressor, hose, and tire puncture kit. (I recommend ThorsLightning.)

Sponsored

2DR22Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04Cobra, 95Cobra, 17Explorer, 89Bronco!!, 22Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

To answer the Original OP question

At first I didn't like the Sasquatch tires, but they have grown on me. I have been very impressed with them in Snow (mild to to deeper). They seem to be ok in other categories.

Right now tires are big money. There is some rubber shortage or something going on and tires have been up up up and very limited rebates etc for a new set.

Thus the reason I will run these until they are too aged (6 years+) to get my moneys worth and evaluate at that time if I run them again or go another direction. However if some 35" used tires came up locally of value I could move into at a reduced cost I may go that route.

I do like where the OP was going of are more premium tires worth the $ difference over the Territory tires. At this time to me maybe they would not be.

Twister22

Badlands
First Name
michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Raptor 1965 Mustang 1968 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
If you don't drive in gravel should be fine! Gravel all over our driveway and garage from my wife's Bronco. I changed my wheels and tires.

Black_Stallion13

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I have heavy-ass KO2s on my Badlands takeoffs. Will probably switch to the territories when the KO2s wear out. There is no other tire on market (at least from established brands) that offer balance of price, weight, looks, and true all terrain performance that I have found.

Donkeygyrl

Base
First Name
Sheri
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco on order
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

When I went to pick my 22 up the dealer and I took a test drive,I noticed one little Rock in the tread. 100 ft down the road bam that rock hit the side.
Next day at 11 miles I changed to the mud tires I had already purchases. Those tires suck,they were made to promote gas mileage and throw rocks .

DoYouBronco

Wildtrak
Lux Sponsor (Level 2)
First Name
Tyson
Threads
Reaction score
Website
hpbuilt.shop
Vehicle(s)
Gen2 Raptor Midtravel / TowRunner F250
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
The OEM Goodyears aren’t terrible. They’re lightweight, quiet, and good on gas mileage, but where they suffer is sidewall strength. I’ve seen countless punctures out on the trail and had 2 punctures in mine in not even 6 months of ownership. We had a group ride and one of the other bronco owner’s tires just randomly blew out while riding on the dirt. My guess is just from being aired down and the tire sidewall constantly flexing. Mickey Thompson or BFG, while spendy, will be a much better option for offroading

Sponsored
OP
OP
FTBronco9

FTBronco9

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I do like where the OP was going of are more premium tires worth the $ difference over the Territory tires. At this time to me maybe they would not be.
Yes. This. This was the point of the question. 👍🏽

KirchTX

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
If they were around the same cost, I'd try out something different because I use a gravel driveway at work every day, but for the $ I plan on buying Goodyears again when the time comes as long as they're so much less than BFG or Toyo.

I added Zroadz rails which cut down on nearly all rock strikes against the paint. I have a couple chips from before I installed the rails.

broncobase1

Base
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco Base
Your Bronco Model
Base
The OEM Goodyears have been discussed very extensively on several threads. May I politely suggest that you search an issue before starting a new thread?

That said, there's a broad range of opinions and experience out there, many of them intense. My take: They're a very good all-around tire for most Sasquatch owners' needs. They're not that heavy, but they're not that quiet. They handle highway very well, snow superbly, rain a bit on the "less" side. They'll take you over most any obstacle, especially if you have front/rear lockers, but they have their limits. You might want to upgrade if you're doing the Rubicon.

I'm approaching 35K, most of that New England pavement, with about 5-7 off-road, and of that, maybe 1K serious trail driving, with lots of good rubber. I've already bought their replacements, K02s, which I got on a very good promotion.

One problem I've had which others haven't mentioned: Besides rock chucking (tapers off at 5K), they hold rocks which work their way up through the ply and puncture them. I had three such incidents in Utah (trail and maintained unpaved road). But I hadn't deflated--my bad. Invest in a good compressor, hose, and tire puncture kit. (I recommend ThorsLightning.)
"May I politely suggest that you search an issue before starting a new thread?"

So what? Almost everything has been discussed on other threads.

ramblinwreck

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
`22 Wildtrak, '21 Wrangler Rubicon 4xe
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
"May I politely suggest that you search an issue before starting a new thread?"

So what? Almost everything has been discussed on other threads.
Hah, yeah, if nobody ever started a new thread because there was already a similar thread...this entire forum would have 5 threads with 10000 posts each.

Bbaliatico

Base
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
That’s what I’m sayin. I’m just trying to find out why people are paying twice the money for different tires other than going to a bigger size? Is it just a name brand thing 🤷🏽‍♂️
I can tell you BFG AT K02 while great looking are virtually useless in the rain (on pavement). I can hold down the gas and spin until I want to stop. Was debating switching to GY you mention as they are flat out dangerous on the highway in a downpour - 4H or not.
Sponsored