Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68&69 Broncos, 21 AMB Base 2dr, 23 VB BL 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So what is with the flat colors... is it supposed to make touch ups easier or are they just wanting to cheap out on the paint because metallic is harder.
It’s because non metallic colors are trending. Its refreshing that non metallics are offered now., nice change from 50 years of metal flake And pearl paint jobs
Just a style trend. Retro return to the 50s/60s. Dodge seemed to start it with the Challenger but now everyone is doing it. I like it a lot. I just wish Ford would offer more than just 4 actual colors (in addition to the 6 shades of gray/white/black). ?

Where’s the Grabber Blue?
Have you not shopped for cars in the last 5 years? Every manufacturer is doing it. I actually like it.
I have... actually bought new in 2013 and new in 2018 but flat colors are so .... well .... flat :p

figured it was an off road thing but I like to see depth in my paint. If the Area 51 is what I think it will be, I'll go for it. Otherwise, maybe that blue, orange, or red that is still metallic and has more paint layers.
Flat paint may be easier to touch up or put an off road wrap over it.

To be clear, "flat" paint refers to a low gloss, luster or low reflectivity. Metallic refers to metal flake, like a bass boat.
Ford Bronco Area 51 thread 1595786331686
Ford Bronco Area 51 thread 1595786950166

The flat fad probably started with the hotrodders a few years back, or I should say, it was stolen from them. Guys fixing up cars while they drove them, or didn't have the $$$$ for a premium paint job just yet, just drove them in full primer. Primer grey, black, red oxide, white ... pretty much covers primer colors.
It looked cool, so all the richers wanted to copy that, so now you can get "flat" black Super Cars in the 7 figures and they all have started to offer other colors with low luster.

It also collided with the "tatical" rage, which intriduced other colors from the camo scheme....sorry, what a joke. 97% of these "car commandos" have never served. Tactical this, tactical that....tactical everything.

From what I have learned on the painting forums as I research painting my 69 Bronco....
Flat paint , the flatter it is , the harder it is to maintain, clear coat or otherwise. It tends to pick up and hold on to the slightest amount of oils, as in finger prints. Don't drip your gasoline on it at refill, don't let your grubby little kids around it.
AND for the love of God, don't try to wax a flat paint!!!! LMMFAO!! You'll NEVER get rid of the streaks!

Repairs: again, from what I have read ... the flatter it is the harder it is to maintain/repair. It leaves definite lines where ever you try to end your "blend", getting the color and sheen correct is horribly difficult...again, depending on "flatness".

You cannot sand it, wet sand it, buff it or again, wax it. It has to be laid perfectly the first time, every time.

If you want a paint for offroading a beater, you'll go with a single stage solid paint. (No clear coat, no metal flake). Urethane is the current standard, it's tough as hell, but EVERYONE (OEM) is clear coating their solids anyways. As far as offroading colors, I have always thought grey/silvers just tend to lose their gloss when they are dirty instead of looking "dirty", like black does.
Sponsored

MadMan4BamaNATL

Badlands
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco 2DR Badlands Sasquatch, 2021 RR Sport
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

To be clear, "flat" paint refers to a low gloss, luster or low reflectivity. Metallic refers to metal flake, like a bass boat.
Ford Bronco Area 51 thread 2021-Ford-Bronco-2-door-in-Cyber-Orange-001

The flat fad probably started with the hotrodders a few years back, or I should say, it was stolen from them. Guys fixing up cars while they drove them, or didn't have the $$$$ for a premium paint job just yet, just drove them in full primer. Primer grey, black, red oxide, white ... pretty much covers primer colors.
It looked cool, so all the richers wanted to copy that, so now you can get "flat" black Super Cars in the 7 figures and they all have started to offer other colors with low luster.

It also collided with the "tatical" rage, which intriduced other colors from the camo scheme....sorry, what a joke. 97% of these "car commandos" have never served. Tactical this, tactical that....tactical everything.

From what I have learned on the painting forums as I research painting my 69 Bronco....
Flat paint , the flatter it is , the harder it is to maintain, clear coat or otherwise. It tends to pick up and hold on to the slightest amount of oils, as in finger prints. Don't drip your gasoline on it at refill, don't let your grubby little kids around it.
AND for the love of God, don't try to wax a flat paint!!!! LMMFAO!! You'll NEVER get rid of the streaks!

Repairs: again, from what I have read ... the flatter it is the harder it is to maintain/repair. It leaves definite lines where ever you try to end your "blend", getting the color and sheen correct is horribly difficult...again, depending on "flatness".

You cannot sand it, wet sand it, buff it or again, wax it. It has to be laid perfectly the first time, every time.

If you want a paint for offroading a beater, you'll go with a single stage solid paint. (No clear coat, no metal flake). Urethane is the current standard, it's tough as hell, but EVERYONE (OEM) is clear coating their solids anyways. As far as offroading colors, I have always thought grey/silvers just tend to lose their gloss when they are dirty instead of looking "dirty", like black does.
Hoosier, appreciate the graphics that you've shared here that serves as a differentiator between the common gloss or metallic paints and flat.

However, some of what you've written here is misleading or not necessarily accurate. For example, no new car is going to come without a clear coat. Yes, matte finished paint has a clear coat and goes through the same painting process as other automotive paints; this is different from the paints for a home for instance.

Yes, you can "wax" so to speak a flat or matte finish, but no one really uses Carnuba wax anymore. It's expensive, hard to apply, and only lasts for 3 months or less.

Most popular today is a paint sealant which is synthetic and can last for 6-12 months (depends on weather factors), is much easier to apply, and holds up to dirt and water much more effectively, just doesn't have the natural shine of a quality Carnuba wax. I use Polymer Net Shield on my cars and apply with a dual action polisher, following a full paint correction process using quality car shampoo (Adams Polishes), clay bar or tool (Nanoskin and Chemical Guys), polish (Menzerna), then the PNS. These are applied using a dual action polisher (Flex) buffing and polishing pads from (Lake Country). Get all my detailing crap from Autogeek.net. Both current cars are black metallic and look immaculate other than a few door dings and abrasions.

Matte paint just requires products and pads specially formulated for matte paint, but this paint can and should be protected just as any other paint.

That said, I'm tired, so I barely plan to wash this Bronco let alone do paint corrections, etc. I may wrap it with one of those fake "tactical" (No I didn't serve) off road wraps which functions almost like an exterior spray in bed liner to your paint, but I honestly like to see scratches on off roaded vehicles - shows character and that it's actually been off road.

Flat paint is a trend, I can see why many don't like it. You were correct that matte is difficult to keep clean, but quality matte paint does not pick up finger prints easily. Most of what you see rolling around all over the place is nothing more than a matte wrap, and most of those are trash, but a cheap way to get the effect, but they do tend to look bad because they're cheap whereas a Matte paint job costs several thousand.

Anyway, just wanted to provide some clarification.

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

If the Top is real life A51 in direct sunlight the colorizer is trash ?

See there is the problem. If the top is correct...no thanks.

The bottom color... me likey

Wonder if the sports will be out so we can at least she the colors for real.

Sponsored

Bayou_Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Toyota 4Runner TRD Pro
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Awesome, My choice as well. White or black top ?
I'm not sure. I really want to see Area 51 in person to decide. I'm hoping I can find a Sport somewhere I can see for myself. I'm thinking I'll go black on Area 51 but if I go Cactus I'll definitely go with white.

BDub

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport FE, F150
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

When my Area 51 Sport arrives I'll post some pictures, hopefully that will give folks ordering the 2/4 door time to decide.

Sponsored

Moze

Badlands
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands, 2013 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2017 Tesla Model S
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Here is another pic. Looks different again.
Ford Bronco Area 51 thread 0E9CD048-6BA5-4E11-B6EA-FE89C228AD08
It's close to the early leaked pic of the sport and the photos of the sport door frame, but *slightly* less blue. Also close to the colorizer. Hopefully pretty accurate. I'm down with this color.

Lewisj41

Heritage
First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

will this be close?

Screenshot_20200727-180537_Instagram.jpg

Indominus49er

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Alfa Romeo, Honda
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
If it's like the Bronco sport picture, I am disappointed and that will probably push me to catcus gray. I live in Las Vegas so either themed paint works. ?