Sponsored

Audio upgrade that won't break the bank?

Amitch2179

Outer Banks
First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Any recommendations for any type of audio upgrade for a 23 outerbanks that wont break the bank?
Sponsored

Squatch

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Replace the 4" dash speakers, then 6.5" kick panels, then upgrade to 6.5" rear pods.

Various brand recommendations out there, but don't replace a pair of speakers unless you can get a legitimate upgrade.

kevin.gt

Base
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

My biggest complaint with the bronco stereo is what I describe as a muffled or muddy sound. Even audio books were boomy. The mids are just too much. Imo it’s largely the EQ and I highly recommend some form of EQ/DSP.

I started with dash speakers; helped a little. Did the forscan change to remove default EQ; helped a little more. Got a DSP and ran wires to the dash so the front 4 could be tuned separately. Also added a sub (my ‘22 had no sub). Very happy now.

depending on how comfortable you are pulling panels and wires, what I did can be done on a tight budget

more info

Last edited:

Brian_B

Big Bend
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 BB 4dr 7MT, '22 BSport OBX, '87 B-II XL
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Replace the 4" dash speakers, then 6.5" kick panels, then upgrade to 6.5" rear pods.

Various brand recommendations out there, but don't replace a pair of speakers unless you can get a legitimate upgrade.
4" Dash speakers are the biggest bang for the buck by far - and only take about 5 minutes to install.

Not that Squatch is giving bad advice - I think it's very sound, I just have a different opinion past that. I'd do the 4" rears next, bang for the buck wise. Again, another 5 minute quick upgrade. Not nearly as impactful as the front dash speakers though.

Past that.. if you are considering upgrading the kick panels and upgrading rear pods - there is where I would start looking into an amp and possibly subwoofer upgrades. Those are next level type upgrades that take it from "bang for the buck" to bangin' - depending on what your budget and comfort level for installation are. Kick panel and bigger rear pods are also decent upgrades, but without an amp to really drive it there won't be much bang for that buck

Squatch

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
4" Dash speakers are the biggest bang for the buck by far - and only take about 5 minutes to install.

Not that Squatch is giving bad advice - I think it's very sound, I just have a different opinion past that. I'd do the 4" rears next, bang for the buck wise. Again, another 5 minute quick upgrade. Not nearly as impactful as the front dash speakers though.

Past that.. if you are considering upgrading the kick panels and upgrading rear pods - there is where I would start looking into an amp and possibly subwoofer upgrades. Those are next level type upgrades that take it from "bang for the buck" to bangin' - depending on what your budget and comfort level for installation are. Kick panel and bigger rear pods are also decent upgrades, but without an amp to really drive it there won't be much bang for that buck
I wrote that down based off of price. I would do the rears w/6.5 pods after the dash speakers and adjust Forscan. Even without an aftermarket amp, it sounded so much better and is sending more power back there from the factory iirc.

The front kicks should really be last after an amp and sub.

Sponsored

Fly by Nite

Base
First Name
Walt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1991 F-150 Nite, 2001 Cherokee
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Decent 4" Dash and rear pod speakers can be had for around $50 a pair.... Infinity, Alpine, Polk.
Add $10 per pair if you want the Ford style connectors, another $10 for bass blockers for the dash speakers.

Do you have a functional rear sub or was it deleted? If not, buy a surplus Ford Fusion amp ($75) and a Kicker rear subwoofer ($100).
This will be a nice upgrade for about $320.

If you want to step up to 6.5" rear pod speakers, Mabett housings are $130.
Next step up would be to add a kicker amp for a couple hundred bucks, then maybe new 6.5" kick panel speakers.

1st 75th ranger

Black Diamond
First Name
jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 ford bronco bd 4 dr sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Any recommendations for any type of audio upgrade for a 23 outerbanks that wont break the bank?
yes just go alpine co axle in decka nd pods youll be happy

try crutchfield let let you confirm fitment

Switchworks_Kyle

Badlands
Squatch Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
We offer a high quality plug-n-play 6.5" rear pod set up that you won't be disappointed with. You can purchase the pods unloaded, with a kicker speaker or with an SSV speaker that comes with a lifetime manufacturer warranty. Install is a breeze and you will instantly notice a big difference in sound.
Select 2-door or 4-door based on what you are driving from the link below
https://ssvworks.com/collections/bronco
you can DM us for a discount code to our site that we offer to Bronco6G members!

Mjasi3

Big Bend
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Decent 4" Dash and rear pod speakers can be had for around $50 a pair.... Infinity, Alpine, Polk.
Add $10 per pair if you want the Ford style connectors, another $10 for bass blockers for the dash speakers.
Do the base blockers (for dash) help clean up the sound? are they a simple remove them if I dont like.

Brian_B

Big Bend
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 BB 4dr 7MT, '22 BSport OBX, '87 B-II XL
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Do the base blockers (for dash) help clean up the sound? are they a simple remove them if I dont like.
Depends on which speaker you have - some, particularly coax speakers, already have one built in.

But they are usually easy to plug in / remove.

Sponsored

Fly by Nite

Base
First Name
Walt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1991 F-150 Nite, 2001 Cherokee
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

They wire between the harness and the speaker. I soldered my connections, it's easy for me to install or remove them.
Their purpose is to block the low frequencies (bass) since the smaller speakers can't handle them well, which could lead to distortion.

Mjasi3

Big Bend
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Depends on which speaker you have - some, particularly coax speakers, already have one built in.

thank you!

Mjasi3

Big Bend
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
They wire between the harness and the speaker. I soldered my connections, it's easy for me to install or remove them.
Their purpose is to block the low frequencies (bass) since the smaller speakers can't handle them well, which could lead to distortion.
thank you!

Mjasi3

Big Bend
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend

Thank you
Sponsored