Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'09 Corvette Z06, '97 Mitsubishi Pajero Evo
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
  • Banned
Anybody been able to find any info on how exactly the 'advanced 4 wheel drive transfer case works'? We've seen that there is a 4A mode, but articles like this one from Jalopnik make it sound like it's a much more primitive system than the Raptor transfer case. From the article, "[The advanced transfer case] allows for electromechanical actuators in the transfer case to automatically engage four-wheel-drive “high” mode from the two-wheel-drive when conditions require it "

This sounds to me like it's RWD unless there is slip, in which case it will chuck it in fully locked 4H, unlike the Raptor transfer case with the drive clutch which gives it a true AWD mode. Jalopnik article about Raptor transfer case here for reference

I'm very curious to hear more details about the operation of the advanced system in the Bronco if anyone has them, or if anyone knows what model transfer case the Bronco will be using? I assume they are all still Borg Warner units.
Sponsored

Bayou_Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Toyota 4Runner TRD Pro
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
That is kinda what it sounds like it's saying. That's kinda disappointing. I do miss the 4A mode in my GMC truck that fed power to the front when needed.

WuNgUn

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 door Squatched
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I dunno if it'll automatically go full locked...? Locked center diff, if that's a thing. But the system is fully manual as well, which is good... And what everyone who is crawling will obviously do.
Personally, I'd rather not spend the money on an automatic system, but there's little choice.
The off road aid stuff with the automatic tranny definitely needs this kinda system to operate though.

acmepa

Black Diamond
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escape
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Thoughts/guesses on price to upgrade to the advanced 4x4? Also thoughts on this being bundled with the 2.7 upgrade?

Not entirely familiar with the difference in the part time selctable 4x4 standard on some trims vs the advanced option. Assuming the advaced is simply automatically engaged when needed such as icy wintry roads and the other option is simply manually controlled?

Parker

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gr Che Overland, Corvette, Tahoe, 46 Chevy 2ton
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I think Ford is protecting it's warranty coverage and reliability numbers with Manual Trans exclusion and mystery electronic transfer case with super grip tires.
When this beefy monster is about to snap something, Ford electronics have plenty of options to prevent that snap.
Given manual options, the little skinny peddle will get stomped without adjusting for in-wrong-gear, or wrong transfer case setting for that combination of events.

Sponsored

bowhun2r

Wildtrak
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 STi/18 4Runner/19 GX-460
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Curious as well and doing some searching (and hit this thread). My 4runner LE is full time 4x4 with an option to lock the Torsen center diff. Rarely ever have to do that and for 98% of the time the center diff does what it's supposed to do and provides me grip in rain/snow/mud w/o me thinking. I've been reading and hoping the 4A on the optional center diff package provides the same type of experience. Just keep it in 4A and not worry about slip...and more importantly when the wife drives it not having to worry about binding the drivetrain because she forgot to disengage (happened on my previous tacoma...).

frinesi2

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'92 Pajero 2.5TD, '99 Land Cruiser '15 Golf TDI
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

For what its worth, here's Ford's description:

Ford Bronco Automatic Transfer Case Operation Screenshot_20200801-111643_Chrome

It does mention that it "continuously varies" power to the front wheels, which doesn't sound like a locked center to me.

bowhun2r

Wildtrak
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 STi/18 4Runner/19 GX-460
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak

It does mention that it "continuously varies" power to the front wheels, which doesn't sound like a locked center to me.

Good info. In 4A sounds similar to my Torsen diff where it provides power front/back axles w/o binding the drivetrain on dry asphalt. Click it into 4H (or 4L) and then you have the traditional 4x4 (same as my current 4runner).

Be fun the next few months learning and discovering what will be possible.

Karl_in_Chicago

Badlands
First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Seems to be Ford's analogue to Jeep's Selec-Trac system. Driving on paved roads in 2H but auto-switching to 4H when it notes slippage (like snow or rains).

OP
OP
Jalisurr

Jalisurr

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided

Ah, that's much more hopeful that it's similar to the Raptor transfer case. Good find

Sponsored
OP
OP
Jalisurr

Jalisurr

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Curious as well and doing some searching (and hit this thread). My 4runner LE is full time 4x4 with an option to lock the Torsen center diff. Rarely ever have to do that and for 98% of the time the center diff does what it's supposed to do and provides me grip in rain/snow/mud w/o me thinking. I've been reading and hoping the 4A on the optional center diff package provides the same type of experience. Just keep it in 4A and not worry about slip...and more importantly when the wife drives it not having to worry about binding the drivetrain because she forgot to disengage (happened on my previous tacoma...).
Yeah, your 4Runner is similar to my Pajero, except mine has a viscous center diff that can be locked instead of Torsen.

The Raptor transfer case is somewhat similar, but it's more like a reversed Focus RS drivetrain when it's in 4A mode, with a clutch pack that sends variable power to the front wheels rather than a true center differential. It's not the most ideal but it's good enough for my purposes. Just automatically engaging 4H like an old Jeep would definitely not be.

rtaylor

Badlands
First Name
R
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19Raptor, 22Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Ah, that's much more hopeful that it's similar to the Raptor transfer case. Good find
The 2017+ Raptor case has both the AWD (electric clutch pack) mode for street driving as well as the mechanically locked 4H/4L for extreme offroad reliability. It is the only case (so far) with this ability.

It will be interesting to see if the Bronco advanced case has only clutch pack (Torque-on-demand), only automatic mechanical 2H/4H switching, or dual-mode like Raptor. Most of the descriptions imply that it is the automatic mechanical 2H/4H switching for extreme offroad reliability.
Sponsored