Sponsored

“Advanced” transfer case — center differential?

BearWithMe

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Tacoma 6MT
Your Bronco Model
Base
The description (below) of the Advanced tcase on Ford’s website makes it sound like there is some sort of center differential in it (Torsen, viscous, clutch pack?) based on the phrase “continuously varies power...”

It doesn’t seem to imply a simple on/off automatic 4H engagement. If indeed the Bronco 4A mode is more like a full-time AWD this could be a killer feature in the snow. Does anyone have more info?

Advanced 4x4 – with Automatic On-Demand Engagement
Advanced 4x4 system features a two-speed electromechanical transfer case (EMTC) that adds an auto mode for automatic on-demand engagement to select between 2H and 4H. In 4A, the system continuously varies power to the front wheels for optimum performance for all on-road conditions.
Sponsored

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
There are topics on this which also link to Ford's full description of how their selectable 4wd system works in each setting.

Use the search function, the answers are at your finger tips.

Beef78

Badlands
First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Focus and 71 bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I’m not super familiar with modern 4x4 or AWD, but a video I watched (maybe the unveiling?) said it controlled power to the wheels by applying break pressure to spinning tires to cause the other tires to spin. Not sure of the tech behind it but maybe someone here knows more. Lol.

qnet

Big Bend
First Name
Quentin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW M2, Jeep Wrangler JL
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
This is something I will search for also. I've been wondering about 4WD system. From my experience with the Focus RS, I bet it's pretty cool.

OP
OP
BearWithMe

BearWithMe

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Tacoma 6MT
Your Bronco Model
Base
There are topics on this which also link to Ford's full description of how their selectable 4wd system works in each setting.

Use the search function, the answers are at your finger tips.
I searched and there were zero results for “center differential.” Is that not a term people are familiar with here?

Sponsored

frinesi2

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'92 Pajero 2.5TD, '99 Land Cruiser '15 Golf TDI
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
I searched and there were zero results for “center differential.” Is that not a term people are familiar with here?
I realize the thread linked below doesn't include "center differential", however your search is too narrow, uses incorrect terms and is limiting your results. You should be going for the drivetrain in general and picking out what you need. This forum is still quite young, being in pre-order phase, so there won't always be the full details you're looking at, especially with a 2-word search........

"Transfer case" would be the correct term here as it's not a differential such as you would find in your standard Sty or Evo.

Post 35 of this thread has links to Ford info on the drivetrain selections. Note that they have not released a ton more than that and you're going to have to dig into the F150 forums for those who have the 2.7 motor if that's your direction, or 6g Ranger forums with the 2.3 motor.

Rear Axle Ratio Questions

OP
OP
BearWithMe

BearWithMe

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Tacoma 6MT
Your Bronco Model
Base
@Rick Astley Thanks for the link, I will check that out. I’ll read up on the 6G Ranger forums, too, although I don’t know if the Bronco is getting a bespoke transfer case or will strictly reuse Ranger parts.

As for terminology, I would argue that any arrangement allowing variable rotational output to the front and rear axle is a “center differential.” It just happens to reside in a transfer case housing, if the speculation thus far is correct.

ChrisCozart

Wildtrak
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Black Diamond (non-Sas.)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
The description (below) of the Advanced tcase on Ford’s website makes it sound like there is some sort of center differential in it (Torsen, viscous, clutch pack?) based on the phrase “continuously varies power...”

It doesn’t seem to imply a simple on/off automatic 4H engagement. If indeed the Bronco 4A mode is more like a full-time AWD this could be a killer feature in the snow. Does anyone have more info?

Advanced 4x4 – with Automatic On-Demand Engagement
Advanced 4x4 system features a two-speed electromechanical transfer case (EMTC) that adds an auto mode for automatic on-demand engagement to select between 2H and 4H. In 4A, the system continuously varies power to the front wheels for optimum performance for all on-road conditions.

If this 4Auto is anything like what I have in my Expedition, when left in 4A the truck runs in 2H until there is rear slippage detected, then the front hubs are auto engaged to put the truck in 4H.

OP
OP
BearWithMe

BearWithMe

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Tacoma 6MT
Your Bronco Model
Base
If this 4Auto is anything like what I have in my Expedition, when left in 4A the truck runs in 2H until there is rear slippage detected, then the front hubs are auto engaged to put the truck in 4H.
That’s what I’m afraid of — a system that simply engages a traditional locked transfer case in response to wheelspin.

I really hope the Bronco employs some sort of variable torque split and is suitable for use on pavement without drivetrain binding.

Sponsored

jtzako

Badlands
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Xterra Pro4x
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

That’s what I’m afraid of — a system that just engages a traditional locked transfer case when it feels like it.

I really hope the Bronco employs some sort of variable torque split and is suitable for use on pavement without drivetrain binding.
Ford wouldnt do that unless they want a lot of warranty repairs on the front diff and t-case. More than likely it has clutches in the center diff that allow slippage similar to the way many AWD cars do it. (and some recent 4x4 too like the new Defender do that as well) It would lock together when in 4H/4L but slip when in 4A.

ChrisCozart

Wildtrak
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Black Diamond (non-Sas.)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
That’s what I’m afraid of — a system that simply engages a traditional locked transfer case in response to wheelspin.

I'm sure it will be more advanced than what I have on my '06 Expedition, but it has been rock solid for 14 years and I have zero drivetrain issues. The 4A has saved me a few times when the rear end lets go on slippery roads and loose gravel trails.

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Any Ford Auto 4wd system I've driven senses wheel slip and engages seamlessly when required. The "slip" that triggers engagement is imperceptible to the driver and instantaneous.

Deleted member 3063

Actually you wouldn't need a different transfer case to accomplish that. I/you can do that myself with a twist of a knob or the traction control could do the same. In that case the 4A would be simply a another mode.
Opinion only because that's all there is at this point. Stating it's a function of a advanced transfer case leads me to believe there is some clutching going on in there (computer controlled obviously) to minimize binding but not an actual AWD with torque vectoring.

Merc4x4

Badlands
First Name
steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm hoping it operates like the Raptor transfer case with a clutch pack in auto mode.
Sponsored