Sponsored

Back End Breaking Loose too Easily in Snow/Ice? Is the "off road" display accurate for 4A? Grinding noise while sliding?

Why does the Bronco Back End slide so easily?

• Total voters
OP
OP
LSW

LSW

Wildtrak
First Name
L
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Bronco Wildtrak, 2023 Bronco Outer Banks
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Mine ALWAYS shows power to all 4 in 4 auto as well, and I can feel the vibes from the front axles any time I give it power, even just gently accelerating on dry pavement.
So the follow on question to that of course, is how much accelerated wear occurs on the drivetrain if one drives in 4A continuously in mixed conditions or some stretches of dry pavement?
Sponsored

Chrome_Pony

Badlands
First Name
Chrome
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2.3L Badlands High, 2017 LWN Duramax Z71
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
If your Tahoe is running a Magna 302x transfer case and the G80 rear locker like my Colorado, it's definitely going to be noticeable switching vehicles. GM has really dialed in the engagement for the G80/auto 4X function in the T-case. The 120RPM G80 wheelspeed difference plus the rear-biased Magna t-case makes for seamless transitions and traction when you need it.

The selectable locker defaulting to an open rear diff on the Bronco, even though the locker is lightning quick to engage, means a slower to enable 4X4 system (t-case and rear axle) that allows for some slide before tires with grip are turning under power.

I am also running mine through an Alaskan winter, so when I switch vehicles, I notice the difference. The Bronco is more capable, just different, and more selectable for a wider range of user drive modes, rather than the integrated but more limited feel of the GM system.

I've noticed that "Slippery" GOAT mode is like "Eco, but with 4WD" derating the hell out of the accelerator and mushing the shifting, so those softballs might help with your situation, or it might just annoy you like it does me.

Brian_B

Big Bend
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 BB 4dr 7MT, '22 BSport OBX, '87 B-II XL
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

So the follow on question to that of course, is how much accelerated wear occurs on the drivetrain if one drives in 4A continuously in mixed conditions or some stretches of dry pavement?
None appreciable - 4A won’t bind up like manual 4H will, and that’s where the wear really comes from. It’s pretty much the same thing Subarus have had for years

AKBronc49

Outer Banks
First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
11 F150,02 Excursion,06 Chrysler 300C,21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
One thing I will say, with the tires sitting outside the fenders it tricks me a little and I catch the snow more often. I love my Bronco in the winter but it can be squirrely, mostly because I drive fast and aggressive. Heavy throttle on the ice the front end pulls pretty good even with the Hakkapeliittas. My F150s, Chrysler 300c awd, Explorer, Excursion are all a little more predictable. The Bronco also feels lighter than any of my other vehicles, thus easier to throw around.

I did just do a trip on the glenn to big lake towing my side by side 70-75mph over the weekend. With the extra weight on the rear it felt really planted.

Eroc88

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Tonight, i drove in a snow storm here in the Northeast was in 4A not once did it break loose. Im running nokian hakkapeliitta for the 1st time and those tire hook up. If this is happening and you are running studded tires which is maximum traction on snow/ice, my opinion sounds like driver error.

Sponsored

Area51BS

Badlands
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands non SAS 4dr 2.3
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I’m amazed how easy my BL non SAS breaks traction in 2H on wet roads. No snow here. It will spin during acceleration as long as I stay on gas just slightly heavy. I’m actually surprised the vehicle allows it. Fun though.

Aonarch

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘23 Bronco OBX 2DR Lux 2.7, ‘16 Corvette Z51
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

This is why I went with open diffs, so I could install a LSD.

OP
OP
LSW

LSW

Wildtrak
First Name
L
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Bronco Wildtrak, 2023 Bronco Outer Banks
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Just thought I'd update this to add that I just got a Wildtrak to compare to our Outer Banks and for some reason it seems much more stable on the snow and ice? Maybe it is just the tires, even though I still have the stock sasquatch goodyears with no studs on the wildtrak vs the studded cooper discoverer snow claws on the OBX. Don't know why, but the wildtrak with the goodyears seems much more sure footed and able to hold traction through turns on ice than the OBX? In fact I'm pretty comfortable driving around all the time even on ice/snow in 2HI/Normal GOAT in the wildtrak. There is a hill nearby my place with ice treated w/gravel that would cause the OBX to wag it's tail like a dog if you tried to punch it going up, the wildtrak tracks straigt up it even with hard accel.
Sponsored