Sponsored

Using 2H/4A/4H in Snow-Different Scenarios?

Jazer

Outer Banks
First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2.7 OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I opted my OBX without 4A as I live in NC and we might see a dusting of snow once every year or two. With heavy rain/storms in mind however, would it be safe to use 4H in the rain on normal roadways? Highway at “slower” highway speeds? These are the only instances I would have preferred 4A - in heavier rain storms, but I didn’t feel it was really necessary. How much turning is safe in 4H on a wet surface such as a rain slicked road? These are my only concerns that I want to make sure I have 100% understanding on as it has been about 20 years since I have had a vehicle with this setup. I’ve had AWD/RWD or FWD vehicles since my first truck.
Sponsored

Mattwings

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I don’t think I noticed a comment around it here, but I prefer 4A in any slippery conditions on a “road” or above 20mpg. 4H locks the front and rear axles to the same rotational speed. In certain situations, this can lead to wonky braking and steering. 4A let’s the front and rear use the brakes and or ABS more effectively and avoids some of the inherent under steer or front/rear “swap” or spin induced by inadvertently locking up or not applying all available braking front or rear because the system cannot differentiate front to rear wheel speed.

Techun

Black Diamond
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BD, 2.7, MIC, 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I opted my OBX without 4A as I live in NC and we might see a dusting of snow once every year or two. With heavy rain/storms in mind however, would it be safe to use 4H in the rain on normal roadways? Highway at “slower” highway speeds? These are the only instances I would have preferred 4A - in heavier rain storms, but I didn’t feel it was really necessary. How much turning is safe in 4H on a wet surface such as a rain slicked road? These are my only concerns that I want to make sure I have 100% understanding on as it has been about 20 years since I have had a vehicle with this setup. I’ve had AWD/RWD or FWD vehicles since my first truck.
4wd isn't going to do anything good for you in the rain, except for the initial takeoff. So unless you're trying to launch fast uphill in the rain, just be in 2wd.

It's not going to improve your safety once you're over 10mph

Stangcrazy66

Badlands
First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 SHO, 2001 Cobra, 2021 bronco 2dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Any solution for the lack of heat coming from the Headlights? I have seen this issue a few times now and I think it has potential to be unsafe. Would something like Rain X work on them?
No idea. I was wondering the same thing

Lcubed

Badlands
First Name
l
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW golf r, 2023 ManBadSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Part time 4wd is the definition of selec-trac 4a systems. It's literally on the window sticker for jeeps. Don't care what others want to call a system or define it as.. jeeps 4a system is selec- Trac system is shown as part time shift on the fly. Sooo it's all names.. it all doesn't matter.. like Fords clever ecoboost marketing that took over the auto industry renaming turbo engines that were around forever as some unique proprietary new engine choice.
from the manufacturer:

Selec-Trac® NV242 Full-Time Four-Wheel Drive
August 7, 2005, Auburn Hills, Mich. -
Selec-Trac® is a shift-on-the-fly system that provides full-time capability and security.
Four-Wheel Drive Modes
Two-wheel drive (2Hi): In this position, the front axle spins freely while power is sent to the rear axle and wheels, which then drives the vehicle.
Part-time four-wheel drive high-range (4 PART TIME): In this position, the center differential mechanically locks the front and rear driveshafts together, which then rotate at the same speed for maximum traction (this position is designed for temporary use when extra traction is required; only use on slippery or loose surfaces).
Full-time four-wheel drive high-range (4 FULL TIME): In this position, the center differential splits the power, sending 48 percent to the front axle, and 52 percent to the rear. The transfer case may be left in this position on any road surface - including dry, paved roads.

Sponsored

Jason F

Outer Banks
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I had the same question and sent an inquiry to Ford about it. I haven’t heard back yet. The PDF owner’s manual and video manual in the infotainment system is a little vague IMO.

I’ve driven mine in 4A on both wet and dry streets, light snow covered streets, and in dirt at Badlands off-road park in Indiana. While many here are saying it defaults to 2WD unless 4WD is needed, that has not been my experience at all. It’s almost always pushing the 4 wheels. You can see this by selecting the off-road pages on the instrument panel and selecting the one that shows power distribution to the 4 wheels.
Was looking to see if this has been covered. Mine has been defaulting to 4A and I’ve left it there. Lots of chatter about 4wd adding wear. Was surprised to see this while flipping through display screens. Power distribution. On dry pavement about 80% of the time shows power going to ask 4 wheels while in 4A.
Ford Bronco Using 2H/4A/4H in Snow-Different Scenarios? 9A5218DB-7D0C-4AB5-A8E5-F150BDE673A8
Ford Bronco Using 2H/4A/4H in Snow-Different Scenarios? BEB89C45-0C66-4AF7-BB65-93E04FC6A65D

Jason F

Outer Banks
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Engage 4H on dry pavement. Pull into a parking spot and then back out of the parking spot. Let us know if you feel anything different.
I don’t think bronco’s bind like most 4x4 in 4wd. Have you tried it yet?

Jason F

Outer Banks
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

4A does not bind. 4H will indeed bind.
Last week at offrodeo lots of time in 4h and 4L. Didn’t notice any binding . Spent a little time with my own bronco and haven’t noticed any either like in most 4x4

Sponsored

Jason F

Outer Banks
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Were you on dry pavement?
Not much, I was curious though if who ever made the comment about the binding had driven the bronco or assumed it would do this based on other 4x4 experience. I thought the off rodeo instructors even talked about something unique to the bronco that reduced or eliminated that binding.

Silver-Bolt

Wildtrak
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Raptor, 2020 Audi SQ5, 2023 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Not much, I was curious though if who ever made the comment about the binding had driven the bronco or assumed it would do this based on other 4x4 experience. I thought the off rodeo instructors even talked about something unique to the bronco that reduced or eliminated that binding.
What is unique is the 4A. That will not bind. In 4H in order not to bind the front tires need to lose contact/traction. Either the tire has to slip (wet/slick pavement) or the ground surface has to move (loose dirt/gravel). If you are on dry pavement in 4H without any loss of traction it will 100% bind. Read your owners manual. I am willing to bet it even cautions against using 4H on dry roads. Yes I have driven a 4-door Wildtrak and in 4H it did bind on the pavement. But, by all means feel free to run in 4H on dry streets. When you get towed to the dealer for a broken CV make sure that they warranty it.

Jason F

Outer Banks
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

What is unique is the 4A. That will not bind. In 4H in order not to bind the front tires need to lose contact/traction. Either the tire has to slip (wet/slick pavement) or the ground surface has to move (loose dirt/gravel). If you are on dry pavement in 4H without any loss of traction it will 100% bind. Read your owners manual. I am willing to bet it even cautions against using 4H on dry roads. Yes I have driven a 4-door Wildtrak and in 4H it did bind on the pavement. But, by all means feel free to run in 4H on dry streets. When you get towed to the dealer for a broken CV make sure that they warranty it.
I don’t use 4 h on the streets, never said I did. Just asked a question. Also pointed out earlier that I was surprised to see on this power distribution screen that in 4a power was being sent to my front wheels in dry conditions about 80% of the time.
Ford Bronco Using 2H/4A/4H in Snow-Different Scenarios? E9ED6B69-5984-464A-A958-CC6BC498C16D
Ford Bronco Using 2H/4A/4H in Snow-Different Scenarios? E9ED6B69-5984-464A-A958-CC6BC498C16D
Ford Bronco Using 2H/4A/4H in Snow-Different Scenarios? FA0F4741-C7D4-4850-9550-8EBAA7B9C152

PrepVet

Big Bend
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch.
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I’ve yet to turn on my 4wd. We received 14+ inches last Friday into Saturday.

40E096C7-7D59-46BF-B3AB-24486B55B79C.jpeg

Bronco21fan

Black Diamond
First Name
Angelo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 bronco black diamond 2 door Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

So when it’s nice out should we be in 2wd only can you always drive the bronco in 4a if you wanted to without breaking Anything. Dose t 4a automatically choose what you should be in at all times
Sponsored