First Name
Dewane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco 2door
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Bought my 2 door manual Black Diamond used a couple months ago and have only been in 2H before today.
Goat selector shows 2H and the dash has always had a 2H orange icon on at all times. The goat modes that would show were normal, eco and sport and that was all it would show. Had snow/ice today so I hit the 4H to try out, which gave me all the appropriate goat modes slippery, mud ruts etc., But now when I hit the 2H selector the 2H dash icon doesn't stay on all the time and if I spin the goat mode selector it shows all modes and will select to go into 4H OR 4L automatically. So is this normal behavior now or if I'm in 2H should I only see eco, normal and sport? Sorry about the novel, I hope I'm conveying this clearly.
Sponsored

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

First, when I'm in 2H the orange icon shows only briefly on start or shift to 2H. 4wd modes the icon always shows and the dial is appropratly lit. If you start in 2H the drive mode will change with GOAT mode. Assuming you don't have 4A: 2H in Normal, Eco, Sport, and I think Slippery 4H. In Mud and Sand. 4L in Rock Crawl. You will be able to select your desired drive mode, 2H, 4H or 4L if different than the default for a given GOAT mode. 4wd may not be available in Eco??

Last edited:

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Escape, Focus
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The GOAT modes are designed to be idiot-proof "shortcuts" that will change your locker/transfer case/steering/throttle/traction control/etc. to the appropriate settings for those conditions. So the answer is yes, all GOAT modes should be visible regardless of what transfer case setting you currently have active, and it is expected for your vehicle's settings to change when you switch GOAT modes.

You can of course choose to ignore the GOAT modes completely and select whatever settings you wish. This is what I personally do, simply because I've been off-roading since I got my license, and it's just more natural for me to set the vehicle to exactly what I want rather than trying to remember what all of the various GOAT modes do. However, some of the settings (namely steering & throttle sensitivity) can only be changed using the GOAT modes.

Last edited:

RobWTX

Wildtrak
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
OK, I read this twice, and think I might understand, just maybe. :)
So you are asking if all GOAT modes should display on your dash when the knob is rotated in any 2H/4H gear?
All available GOAT modes should show, regardless what 2/4 selection is set.

Edit: When I say all available, some models have more/different than others. IE, Badlands has rock crawl, mine does not.

OP
OP

D.G.NWA

Black Diamond
First Name
Dewane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco 2door
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I guess its just one of those unexplained things then. I bought it with 3k miles on it, drove it for another 4k and ever since I bought it, it has always had 2H dash icon on the the screen, never turning off while driving and the only available goat modes were eco, sport and normal mode, and I assumed that was normal like it wouldn't show you the other modes until you depressed the 4H or 4L button to activate the additional goat modes. Now I have them all, like its supposed to be.
Thanks for everyone's input.

Sponsored

MadMan4BamaNATL

Badlands
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco 2DR Badlands Sasquatch, 2021 RR Sport
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I guess its just one of those unexplained things then. I bought it with 3k miles on it, drove it for another 4k and ever since I bought it, it has always had 2H dash icon on the the screen, never turning off while driving and the only available goat modes were eco, sport and normal mode, and I assumed that was normal like it wouldn't show you the other modes until you depressed the 4H or 4L button to activate the additional goat modes. Now I have them all, like its supposed to be.
Thanks for everyone's input.
Almost sounds like you may have an issue. Could be software related and just needs an update, but if you turn that dial, no matter what, it should show all that you’ve got and the ones you list shouldn’t be all for a Black Diamond.

Also, 2H doesn’t always show on my dash to my recollection, but honestly can’t remember. When In a GOAT mode or in 4L, 4H, or 4A, those always have an indicator on my dash as well as the dial.

That all said, unless you’re off-road, meaning off pavement, be careful driving in anything but 2H for long. These are part-time 4x4s, which honestly is ideal, but I’d only temporarily slip into another setting if I were stuck like maybe snow or some ice and no more than 30mph. I have the advanced T-case which is more robust, but I won’t test its limits on the street.

swamp2

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
911 Carrera S / 4Runner TRD Pro
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
However, some of the settings (namely steering & throttle sensitivity) can only be changed using the GOAT modes.
Steering can be adjusted without using GOAT modes on the Raptor.

Fishwrinkle

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 GC overland 5.7, 18 GC srt 6.4
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
OK, I read this twice, and think I might understand, just maybe. :)
So you are asking if all GOAT modes should display on your dash when the knob is rotated in any 2H/4H gear?
All available GOAT modes should show, regardless what 2/4 selection is set.

Edit: When I say all available, some models have more/different than others. IE, Badlands has rock crawl, mine does not.
On a black diamond the only mode not available is Baja. FORScan can fix that.

userdude

Badlands
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2dr Badsquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

When you turn the outer GOAT knob to the left, and the options spin around on the dashboard, you're switching to (mostly 4h) 4x4 modes. Rock Crawler is 4L. You don't need to push the 4H/4L buttons in the middle unless you only want to select those modes. You aren't in a GOAT mode when you use those buttons.

For 4L (4H?), you need to be in neutral, otherwise it won't switch. However, the dashboard on the bottom, right (below RPM) should show you the transfer mode you're in: 2H, 4h, 4L or 4A (if you have the four wheel advanced/fulltime four wheel drive option). As you spin the dial, those should change, or when you punch one of the buttons.

Brian_B

Big Bend
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 BB 4dr 7MT, '22 BSport OBX, '87 B-II XL
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

If you spin the goat mode - it will go where it’s programmed to go (2H/4A/4H/4L). The dash will prompt you if you need to brake, beut, whatever.

If you then push one of the buttons - it will override whatever the goat program was to whatever button you pushed.

So you don’t have to do both - but you can if you want to

Sponsored

HoosierDaddy

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68&69 Broncos, 21 AMB Base 2dr, 23 VB BL 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I guess its just one of those unexplained things then.

My guess at this, and something I may try on my Base.
Forcing a semi-permanent 2H condition?

When you push the 4H button, it stays in 4H even after you shut the Bronco off.
When you re-start it, it will still be in 4H and the 4H light stays lit.

When you spin the GOAT dial, in some modes it resets to normal (2H) when you shut the Bronco off.

So, I wonder if this is even possible, but...
Did they somehow force a 2H mode? Maybe by pushing the 2H button after they had set a 4H GOAT mode , which then left the Bronco in chronic 2H mode, thus illuminating the 2H light after every start and not extinguishing it?
I need to try this.

In the end, it sounds like your Bronco is now operating as it should.

HoosierDaddy

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68&69 Broncos, 21 AMB Base 2dr, 23 VB BL 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If you then push one of the buttons - it will override whatever the goat program was to whatever button you pushed.

So you don’t have to do both - but you can if you want to
As an example, Badlands does not have a "Sport" mode, but "Baja" mode is pretty close, but it also auto-selects 4H.
4H should never be used on dry roads.
So some folks have taken to selecting "Baja" and then pushing the 2H button, thus keeping the aggresive shift and throttle settings, but forcing the transfer into 2H.

Keep in mind, Ford advises to never use a 4H or 4L GOAT mode on the road, so just know this may effect getting warranty coverage if something ever fails.

OP
OP

D.G.NWA

Black Diamond
First Name
Dewane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco 2door
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
So, I wonder if this is even possible, but...
Did they somehow force a 2H mode? Maybe by pushing the 2H button after they had set a 4H GOAT mode , which then left the Bronco in chronic 2H mode, thus illuminating the 2H light after every start and not extinguishing it?
That's exactly what it seemed like to me, in 2H I only had eco, normal and sport and until I physically pushed the 4H I didn't have any of the other modes available on the dash menu, and I just assumed that was normal until asking here. I found a dirt road and played around with it and never could get it to duplicate or revert back , so I guess its fixed, its just funny that I didn't even know there was an issue.

HolidayDog

Everglades
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Everglades
Your Bronco Model
Everglades
Clubs

On a black diamond the only mode not available is Baja. FORScan can fix that.
When you Forscan to add Baja modes does it add in the full animated dash indicator that you are in Baja?

Can Forscan also perform a performance tune?

I’m just looking into these things. Very interesting stuff…..like modding your car with digital code I stead of shiny or loud things.

Fishwrinkle

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 GC overland 5.7, 18 GC srt 6.4
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Yes all goat modes are on my display and no you can’t performance tune with FORScan. You can delete a bunch of annoying chimes and double honk though
Sponsored