Sponsored

Using 2H/4A/4H in Snow-Different Scenarios?

BlazinGTO

Badlands
First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 GTO M6 2004 Escape
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Power distribution. On dry pavement about 80% of the time shows power going to all 4 wheels while in 4A.
9A5218DB-7D0C-4AB5-A8E5-F150BDE673A8.jpeg
BEB89C45-0C66-4AF7-BB65-93E04FC6A65D.jpeg
Yes! This was what I was going to point out. Multiple comments here from people explaining how 4A works but they are wrong. It is not a 2wd bias system or only 2wd until slipping.

On dry pavement and light throttle from a stop, 4A will use all 4 wheels. Even in normal mode. Only after a bit it seems to lean much more towards rwd.

Above was my reply to the comment. Below is my general opinion of driving the Bronco in snow.

Based on what I've seen watching the power output while in 4A...

-4A is very much like driving around in AWD, more so than many actual FWD biased vehicles that wait for slip.
-slippery mode with 4A should be far superior for standard on road snow driving almost all of the time.
-deep stuff offroad should be full time 4wd of course with sand mode.

I know plenty will still say use 4HI, but I encourage others to check out the power distribution screen to watch how 4A operates.
Sponsored

MillerAndCheeto

Wildtrak
First Name
Robin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 Door Cyber Orange Wildtrak Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
So pardon me for being ignorant (or just dumb). So first 4 x 4 (always had rear, front or AWD). I bow my self for ultimate shaming a la Game of Thrones style, proceed. What is the typical use for 2H vs 4H vs 4A in snow when regular road driving? Couple of Scenarios (highway, or regular suburb roads):
1) Just started snowing and some is sticking.
2) Been snowing a bunch, a good couple of inches (that's what she....oh you know the drill) on the road.
3) Snowed previously, had been plowed but sill may be patchy or icy.

Any other settings or things to keep in mind driving this in the winter here in WI?
Coming from the truck world where my truck has the 4A similar to how it works on the Bronco:

2H in summer
4A when it starts to get slick
4H when roads are really snow covered, it's very icy or I feel the 4A not responding quite fast enough and the roads are iffy....so to answer your question in order:

1) 4A
2) 4H
3) 4A or 4H, depending if the plow got down to asphalt and how "patchy" it is....I tend to lean towards 4H unless I can see the asphalt is dry. I've seen FWD cars spin out into ditch going 50 km/h BELOW the speed limit on perfectly straight highway roads. I'm ok with a little bit extra wear and tear on those kind of days

navi

Base
First Name
Navi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
73 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
I think 4A did really well in the recent rains, but it won't stay in 4A. Is it normal to have to switch from 2H to 4A again the next day?
It might be every trip for all I know.

HideoutBronco

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1994 Land Rover Defender / 1985 Porsche 911
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
It is progressive for me:

Snow?
- 4A
Sliping too much?
- 4A Slippery Mode
Still slipping too much?
- 4H
Still not cutting it?
- 4H + Rear Locker
Getting crazy out there?
- Mud and Ruts mode (4H + rear locker)
Oh crap I'm stuck in the parking lot/driveway/trail:
- 4 low +mud and ruts + front and rear locke + turn off traction control
Holy balls I am still stuck:
- 4 low +mud and ruts + front and rear locke + turn off traction control + Air down
Nope:
- Anyone got a winch or a tow strap?

l88m22vette

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Please sir may I have locking diffs?
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
^ I mean, yeah, that pretty much sums it up, /thread
Sponsored