Sponsored

Battery/Alternator/Gremlin/Accessories 🤷🏻‍♂️ Currently at dealer for battery drain issues

OP
OP
BLINDSIDE

BLINDSIDE

First Edition
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4D Bronco First Edition
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Sounds like winch is the problem, what make and model is it?
When you disconnect winch was the wire hot/warm to the touch?

Do not reconnect winch!
When I disconnected this morning the battery was dead, dead. Did not notice it being hot. However it about spot welds itself when it would spark earlier tonight. It’s the RC 12k winch.
Sponsored

LockedBronco

Big Bend
First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1972 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
When I disconnected this morning the battery was dead, dead. Did not notice it being hot. However it about spot welds itself when it would spark earlier tonight. It’s the RC 12k winch.
Something is wrong with it, don't use it.
How old is it?

RimrockPaul

Base
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Base
Use
Got it back from dealer yesterday after work. Advisor said bad battery and replaced under warranty. Drove straight home and parked for the night about 5:45pm. This morning at 6:15am, battery completely dead. I disconnected my winch (pos and negative (I was wrong before, the negative was hardwired to the battery)) and the trailer harness hot wire then hooked up charger until it got to about 10 volts and then attached a portable booster pack for a few minutes and it started. Drove to work. Every hour or so I checked battery voltage. Throughout the day I would check voltage on battery. 12.63v when I got to work and 12.33v at end of day (7:30-4:45). Started fine at 5:15 (remote start didn’t work however).

Just now I was messing with trying to figure out if I could use volt meter to figure out which one is the culprit. Not sure how to do that but some things of note, I see 12.5v with winch completely disconnected if I go from battery hot to either unconnected winch wire and if I touch hot wire from winch to battery I’m getting a significant spark. Guessing that winch or wire is shorting out somewhere. Did not get any spark when I did the same thing to the trailer harness. Did see voltage however when I used meter to complete the circuit. Thoughts?
An an ammeter to find what's drawing current. Any electrical person could help you. PM me and I'll walk you through it.
Paul in AZ

Sponsored

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Ok...so If I'm reading this right, if you disconnect your winch, your battery stays charged correct?

If that's the case it's not Ford's issue, well unless they are the ones who installed the winch.

One of the reasons mine is connected via a solenoid and hooked up to an upfitter.

Your wonch should be pulling 0 amps of you are not using it

Last edited:
OP
OP
BLINDSIDE

BLINDSIDE

First Edition
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4D Bronco First Edition
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Since disconnecting the winch I have not had any battery drain issues. Reconnected it temporarily and it is drawing 42 amps when not in use per ammeter. Taking it back to local shop where it was purchased/installed sometime this week. From the engine bay I can see the wires running down to the winch and connecting point at winch has a shade of brown mud all over the wires but nothing else stands out. Bad thing about the hidden winch is it is very inconvenient to clean/service (have to remove bumper). I’ll let them do that. We’ll see what they say.

jawest12

Badlands
First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Since disconnecting the winch I have not had any battery drain issues. Reconnected it temporarily and it is drawing 42 amps when not in use per ammeter. Taking it back to local shop where it was purchased/installed sometime this week. From the engine bay I can see the wires running down to the winch and connecting point at winch has a shade of brown mud all over the wires but nothing else stands out. Bad thing about the hidden winch is it is very inconvenient to clean/service (have to remove bumper). I’ll let them do that. We’ll see what they say.

You have a couple of options if it continues. You can install a manual power disconnect switch inline, in the engine bay. Requires opening hood and turning on when needed. Or you can install a winch disconnect relay, Warn even makes a kit for it. Kit works with any winch. Then you can use an Aux switch, or install a switch if you don't have those. Then just hit the button when winch power is needed.

LockedBronco

Big Bend
First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1972 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
You have a couple of options if it continues. You can install a manual power disconnect switch inline, in the engine bay. Requires opening hood and turning on when needed. Or you can install a winch disconnect relay, Warn even makes a kit for it. Kit works with any winch. Then you can use an Aux switch, or install a switch if you don't have those. Then just hit the button when winch power is needed.
It's bad should not have any draw.

jawest12

Badlands
First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Sponsored

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Yeah there's something definitely wrong with the winch or the control box. It should not be pulling any power when you're not using it.

However with that said, it goes to show why wiring a winch directly to the battery can have some downsides. I mean you'll hear people talk about always making sure to put a fuse in everything yet when it comes to something like this, 200/300/400 amp fuse isn't cheap.

Basically, you should ideally have a disconnect So you're not running a direct short to your battery if anything should happen (like a front end collision, etc).

Fyi, warn sells a solenoid for like $35. (Buy it directly from them and not on Amazon to make sure it's legit).

Mine's hooked up an upfitter switch.

Ford Bronco Battery/Alternator/Gremlin/Accessories 🤷🏻‍♂️ Currently at dealer for battery drain issues 20230118_062004

Sparkherd

Badlands
First Name
Sparky
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.sparkherd.com
Vehicle(s)
Lifelong Ford guy.
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I did not, but they were still connected to the battery when the negative was disconnected overnight and experienced no battery drain. Winch and trailer harness positive wires are connected to the accessory locations at the battery. Ground wires are connected to ground locations on the vehicle frame.
Ummmmm...it's not going to drain if the negative is disconnected; DC (most forms of AC too) requires a complete circuit!!!
Am I missing something here?

OP
OP
BLINDSIDE

BLINDSIDE

First Edition
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4D Bronco First Edition
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
So after having the installer replace the winch solenoid under warranty and check out the wiring, I’m still seeing a draw (20-30 amps) when not using the winch. This time though I took the advice of jawest12 and installed a warn relay kit wired to an aux switch so I won’t have to worry about a dead battery. See video of ammeter before energizing relay and after. Installer says it’s good to go. I’m not so sure….?

LockedBronco

Big Bend
First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1972 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
So after having the installer replace the winch solenoid under warranty and check out the wiring, I’m still seeing a draw (20-30 amps) when not using the winch. This time though I took the advice of jawest12 and installed a warn relay kit wired to an aux switch so I won’t have to worry about a dead battery. See video of ammeter before energizing relay and after. Installer says it’s good to go. I’m not so sure….?
Something is not right, Warn winch on my 72 is connected straight to the battery, no draw.
25-30 amp draw is a lot for anything that is not being used.
Winch should only draw when it is being used. No or off no in the middle.
Relay good for now because of drain on battery.
I would not trust the winch for what ever is causing the problem fails usually fails when you need it.
Sponsored