First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler, Nissan 370Z Nismo, Nissan Frontier
Your Bronco Model
Base
Update: 39 psi tires and set cruise to 65 mph, got 25 mpg most of the way.

I’m getting ready to take a trip to Florida for a week, ~1000 miles, mostly flat. What should I set cruise to to maximize MPG? I’ll be hopefully going to Texas Offrodeo later in year, ~2000 mile round trip, will be using this first trip to set expectations.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Happycampinman

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Well if you keep your expectations low, you won’t be disappointed when you find out mpg is lousy. I honestly don’t even worry about it. I keep it at 75 which is generally the flow of traffic. When that little warning light comes on I stop and fill up. No worries. If I did I would drive a Camry. 😏

Beach_Bum

Black Diamond
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Black Diamond Bronco, 2023 Outerbanks Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

There are so many variables between other's Broncos (engine size, chassis, trim (gearing), wheel/tire size, etc.) that it is difficult to pinpoint a certain speed at which the MPG will fall off the cliff for you. The best advice is to watch the boost gauge. For me, I have a stock BD 2-dr 2.3L and I have found that the cliff is 74mph. If I set my cruise at that speed, then I'll get the best mpg that can be expected.

Sponsored

JerryC

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
On the hwy you are trading mpg for time. Yes you can go slower and get more mpg but is that worth your time?

You could look at it as what speed is most efficient? If going faster means you have an extra unplanned stop or one less unplanned stop. This could be more than just fuel. Could be meals or bio breaks, sightseeing, etc...

However, I think you can figure that any speed over about 35-40 mph is going past peak mpg.

the poacher

Badlands
First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 ford ranger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I’m getting ready to take a trip to Florida for a week, ~1000 miles, mostly flat. What should I set cruise to to maximize MPG? I’ll be hopefully going to Texas Offrodeo later in year, ~2000 mile round trip, will be using this first trip to set expectations.
To maximize your MPG, I would suggest that you set your cruise control to 30mph. Yes it will take you considerably longer to get there, but think of the MPG that you will generate...

swmetal

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C8 vette
Your Bronco Model
Base
I still don’t know how people get 22+ mpg. I have a 7MT Badlands 4-door. I get around 17.5-18. I can get 21 mpg if I cruise at 60-65 but anything faster than 65 if drops significantly.
I have a base 2dr with the 7MT and I get 25-26 highway mpg at 72 mph. This is on flat Florida highways. I think the "street" tires on the base and no squatch lift make a huge difference. I also had a base 4dr with auto and got about the same mpg highway.

JohnnyBronco

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
X4
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Best mpg you can get going to Florida is pit the Bronco and yourself on the autotrain

But my advice is forget about mpg since to try and travel on I tersystes at less than 81-85 mph invites disaster

lapazleo

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 bronco badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

On the hwy you are trading mpg for time. Yes you can go slower and get more mpg but is that worth your time?

You could look at it as what speed is most efficient? If going faster means you have an extra unplanned stop or one less unplanned stop. This could be more than just fuel. Could be meals or bio breaks, sightseeing, etc...

However, I think you can figure that any speed over about 35-40 mph is going past peak mpg.
The difference between 65 and 75 on a 1000 mile trip is less than 15 minutes. The difference between 65 and 75 mileage wise can be 5 mpg+. So which is really worth more to someone? By the way I'm a profesional commercial driver of36+ years. To answer the op's question 65 mph is a good speed for economy and safety.

Sponsored

JerryC

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
The difference between 65 and 75 on a 1000 mile trip is less than 15 minutes. The difference between 65 and 75 mileage wise can be 5 mpg+. So which is really worth more to someone? By the way I'm a profesional commercial driver of36+ years. To answer the op's question 65 mph is a good speed for economy and safety.
1000 ÷ 65 = 15.3846153846

1000 ÷ 75 = 13.3333333333

So two hours difference. Two hours is worth the extra gas money when it's my vacation time.

Charlesbrown165

Badlands
First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 2 Dr Cosmo Blue
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It all depends on your gearing, tire diameter and payload…..

Dmorty217

Black Diamond
First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Camery
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Stay out of the boost to save mpg. My turbo wouldn’t boost for a 90 mile drive home from Marco island area and I got great gas mileage, the bronco was slower than shit and could barely maintain 70mph (which isn’t Florida highway speed btw). I get 17mpg and think that’s great, anything over 20 should be considered a win

TX-Dennis

Wildtrak
First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
You will certainly get better has mileage at 65 than at 75. The difference accounting only for travel time is a bit over two hours, though. Simple math.

Having said that you will need an extra gas stop or two at the higher speed, so that will narrow the gap somewhat. So call it an hour and a half difference.