Sponsored

Best way to clean engine and under the hood?

FTBronco9

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I used to just take my cars to a pay by the minute wash place and power wash under my hood when it got too dirty. But I never cared that much for those cars. With the Bronco, I don’t want to screw something up or damage something when cleaning. I went through some mud the other day, which took forever to clean off under the vehicle btw 😥, but never looked under the hood. And today I noticed there’s a ton of dry mud up in there 🤦🏽‍♂️ . What’s the best/safest way to clean that out?
Sponsored

Gtrekker

Wildtrak
First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Braptor, Audi, M1102 Overland Trailer 2-B
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

For me, I pressure wash everything and just mindful of the electronics, battery and headers. Plus I pay attention to the pressure around the insulation. Then wipe everything down and start it and run a bit to dry. When done, I spray / fog motor, plastic all with WD an leave it. Been doing this for years, engine bay always looks good and never had an issue.

I'm sure there are products out there now that others would prefer but, this works for me. I even to it to my yard equipment an other toys...

First Name
Anotherfinemess
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche, Lexus, Toyota
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

All I can comment on is what works on my highly modified 4-Runner.
When the crud, brush and dead animals make it difficult to open the bonnet it’s time for a good cleaning.
Start with a cold engine. Stone cold, like sitting in your X wife’s garage.
Make up a solution of 25% Simple Green, 25% Dawn dishing soap and 50% water.
Using a hand spray bottle completely douse the hood and engine compartment.
Now, depending on the local weather, sit back with a Cool Boy ( beer) or a few fingers of single malt and let the detergent do its magic.
If you are using a pressure washer stand back a few feet and see what happens.
If parts are flying off stop and revaluate. In that case use a water hose to dislodge the muck.
When your happy with the cleaning apply a fine spray of silicone over everything. The water will disperse the silicone leaving a as new engine compartment.
I have used this treatment for over 50 years with excellent results.

shimmy825

Badlands
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mazda CX-5
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

All I can comment on is what works on my highly modified 4-Runner.
When the crud, brush and dead animals make it difficult to open the bonnet it’s time for a good cleaning.
Start with a cold engine. Stone cold, like sitting in your X wife’s garage.
Make up a solution of 25% Simple Green, 25% Dawn dishing soap and 50% water.
Using a hand spray bottle completely douse the hood and engine compartment.
Now, depending on the local weather, sit back with a Cool Boy ( beer) or a few fingers of single malt and let the detergent do its magic.
If you are using a pressure washer stand back a few feet and see what happens.
If parts are flying off stop and revaluate. In that case use a water hose to dislodge the muck.
When your happy with the cleaning apply a fine spray of silicone over everything. The water will disperse the silicone leaving a as new engine compartment.
I have used this treatment for over 50 years with excellent results.
And THAT is how you get rid of another fine mess!

OP
OP
FTBronco9

FTBronco9

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Thanks for the responses. So basically just make sure the engine is cold and have at it, while trying to avoid electronics and battery. Will probably just use my hose then so there’s not too much pressure.
Sponsored