KJ Luko

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 F150
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
My Bronco was built in early June and I took delivery in early July. Shortly after that I purchased my sunrider from bestop directly from them and installed it according to their directions. Now when there is a heavy downpour I get a leak coming down my a pillar and out of where the side curtain airbag is located. I love the sun Rider but I cannot deal with a water leak when I'm going to have it installed for six or seven months out of the year. I did notice that it pulls the Rubber seal away from the frame on the one side because the sun Rider seems to curve inward only on the driver side. I emailed bestop but only received a generic email in return.

20220726_071733.jpg

20220726_071600.jpg
Sponsored

Roger123

Badlands
First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GC, '14 Yamaha Super Tenere
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Google TSB-21-2403, it's for a water leak as you describe. Mine does it too under certain rain conditions, I'm not positive it's top related.

OP
OP

KJ Luko

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 F150
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Google TSB-21-2403, it's for a water leak as you describe. Mine does it too under certain rain conditions, I'm not positive it's top related.
Thank you I do plan on contacting Ford but the pictures I posted do not look good. That top should not curve in and pull on that seal like it is doing.

Roger123

Badlands
First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Here's mine:

Ford Bronco Bestop Sunrider for hardtop is leaking tempImage7Puz9S

Ford Bronco Bestop Sunrider for hardtop is leaking tempImageFw2drz

Ford Bronco Bestop Sunrider for hardtop is leaking tempImage6lb4RA

Ford Bronco Bestop Sunrider for hardtop is leaking tempImageykRQ4

OP
OP

KJ Luko

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 F150
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Your driver side looks normal compared to mine. But you stated you're still having leaks with your sun Rider installed?

Sponsored

Roger123

Badlands
First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Your driver side looks normal compared to mine. But you stated you're still having leaks with your sun Rider installed?
Yes, and it's on the driver's side. That's why in my case, I'm not convinced it's the SunRider.

OP
OP

KJ Luko

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 F150
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Yes, and it's on the driver's side. That's why in my case, I'm not convinced it's the SunRider.
But I also saw some of these posts where people get the TSB done by Ford and it's a sloppy silicone mess. If they're going to try to fix a problem that they are aware of then you should at least get it back in the same shape that you took it in.

Roger123

Badlands
First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
But I also saw some of these posts where people get the TSB done by Ford and it's a sloppy silicone mess. If they're going to try to fix a problem that they are aware of then you should at least get it back in the same shape that you took it in.
Yup, that's why I have no desire to take it in. I can smear RTV myself.

thesocalexplorer

Big Bend
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Were you having the leak prior to installing the sunrider? I wasn't, but started getting leaks once I installed the sunrider.

After studying the seal system, I noticed the fit around the curve left large noticeable gaps, which allowed water to bypass the main seals, making its way down the A-pillar.

Here's my fix, it's been successful through pressure washes ever since:
https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/thre...bestop-sunrider-for-2-door.39369/post-1503041

Your seals do look quite pinched on one side. Maybe some RTV smeared in the gap may help if you don't want to take it in for the TSB.

OP
OP

KJ Luko

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 F150
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Were you having the leak prior to installing the sunrider? I wasn't, but started getting leaks once I installed the sunrider.

After studying the seal system, I noticed the fit around the curve left large noticeable gaps, which allowed water to bypass the main seals, making its way down the A-pillar.

Here's my fix, it's been successful through pressure washes ever since:
https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/thre...bestop-sunrider-for-2-door.39369/post-1503041

Your seals do look quite pinched on one side. Maybe some RTV smeared in the gap may help if you don't want to take it in for the TSB.
Thank you for the feedback. No I did not have a leak before installing the sunrider and I will try out your method. I really hope bestop will replace the current top I have because there is definitely a difference between my passenger side and front side on that top. Are you not having any leaks now since installing the foam?

Sponsored

thesocalexplorer

Big Bend
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Thank you for the feedback. No I did not have a leak before installing the sunrider and I will try out your method. I really hope bestop will replace the current top I have because there is definitely a difference between my passenger side and front side on that top. Are you not having any leaks now since installing the foam?
No problem! Agreed, yours looks way more pinched than mine is. Haven't experienced leaks since installing the foam around the corners. We don't get much rain here in Southern CA, but have run her through a few car washes since.

Also, to add - the seal right behind the curved area is intended to be a secondary seal only. If it gets any measurable bit of water, it's basically going to overflow into your A-pillar.

Bronc OH

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1974 Bronco Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Base
I'm having the same issue with the trektop. In the same area. I'm pretty sure it's a bad seal design from Ford, notably in the corners where the screws attach and it's thinner. coupled with a secondary trough that exits the water right down the lower weather seal and into the a-pillar

I called bestop, sent them pics and talked through warranty options. In the meantime I'm going to try and 'fluff' up the corners of the seal with some foam inside to see if that pulls the trektop tighter. Similar to @thesocalexplorer fix, but internal with the seal

cactusbase

Base
First Name
Alec
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco BaseSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
Did anyone have any luck getting a warranty replacement from Bestop? Same issue, no leak prior to Bestop.

CDB

Black Diamond
First Name
Carolyn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Black Diamond Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
My Bronco was built in early June and I took delivery in early July. Shortly after that I purchased my sunrider from bestop directly from them and installed it according to their directions. Now when there is a heavy downpour I get a leak coming down my a pillar and out of where the side curtain airbag is located. I love the sun Rider but I cannot deal with a water leak when I'm going to have it installed for six or seven months out of the year. I did notice that it pulls the Rubber seal away from the frame on the one side because the sun Rider seems to curve inward only on the driver side. I emailed bestop but only received a generic email in return.

Sponsored