Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘15 Mustang ecoboost, 4wd Excursion, ‘69 Mach 1
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Love that area. We were out there a couple weeks ago. So awesome to view the milky way at night.
Sponsored

Dialtone

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Big Bend Mid
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Haha not quite! I work construction. The first night took adjustment for sure I won't lie. But it was smooth sailing the rest of the trip! It was actually comfortable with some extra space at my head. I am 5'7" for comparison. Definitely going to try to do something about that headrest to secure it down next time though 😅
Can't you just remove the headrest altogether? On all my current vehicles you can pull the headrest all the way out? I don't have our Bronco yet so I'm asking. It's usually just me and the wife so I yank them out of the back seats for better visibility.

OP
OP
crawl_soever

crawl_soever

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Why not just carry a small tent with mat and sleeping bag?
That's my normal plan when camping but the wind is fierce in the desert! Don't want to risk blowing over when I can just as well sleep in the back 😅 I mainly wanted to prove to myself that it could be done!

@Dialtone I don't think it's possible in the 2 door version. The front headrests are removable but not the back ones.

I am already planning to return to the state park and even National park to drive Old Ore road and train for my Ultra race! It's my 6th time to Big Bend region and it keeps pulling me back 😄

Huntsetter1

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I like the state park over the National. Less traffic and less developed.

Ford Motor Company

First Edition
Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Bronco Sport
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
I took the Bronco 2DR Manual Transmission out to the Big Bend Ranch! We stayed at the Whit-Roy mine (with park permission of-course). This was my first time doing heavy-duty 4x4. My build is stock without the sasquatch. This proved adequate for the terrain. I mainly used the location as a base for trail-running and hikes from the state park. The vehicle rode amazing and I was able to manage the buena suerte road with no problem of bottoming out although it is a mainly unmaintained abandoned road. I mainly stayed in 2nd and 3rd gear the entire time with a couple switches to 4x4 in some of the sandy washes.

For sleeping accommodations I slept inside the truck. Yes it is possible to sleep comfortably in the 2 door! I put the passenger seat fully forward, and took the rear seat cushon off and laid it down in the rear as a padding. Then, i put the rear seat back fully down flat. I took my cooler and placed it in the rear seat well to get a relatively flat sleeping space to lay my sleeping bag diagonally. It was comfortable for a 4 night stay in the vehicle. The only thing I wish I could have done was remove the rear head-rest because how I was sleeping I had to lay split-legged with the headrest sticking up in the middle. With a double sleeping bag in the back diagionally I managed 20-30 deg nights comfortably to hit the trails during the day!

Next time I go out I will feel more confident off-roading and accessing some more remote areas. This was a initial trial and getting comfortable with the shifters. Overall was a blast and a testament that car-camping is a possibility in this vehicle!

1705594326868.png
Looks like it was a great trip!
Sponsored