First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I have a BB non-SAS and recently picked up SAS bilsteins to swap. i also hope to add 33” tires. I have a few questions:

1.) I’ve seen 2 approaches for removing front struts. First is removing tie-rod and CV nut. The second approach is to remove the two LCA alignment bolts. I’m hoping the second approach is doable. Does anyone know which is better?

2.)Can I reuse my 2 lower strut studs? If not, are there replacement bolts that are recommended?

3.) I’ve read about issues with lift on M190. Is this a concern with the SAS suspension and 33” or 35”?
Sponsored

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Better I guess is debatable. Easier is to remove the two rear bolts on the lower UCA.
Quite a few of us have replaced the Hitachi coilovers with the Bilsteins with no issues.

I'm not sure which bolts you are asking about reusing, but you don't need new bolts for anything.

OP
OP

Ross

Big Bend
First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Better I guess is debatable. Easier is to remove the two rear bolts on the lower UCA.
Quite a few of us have replaced the Hitachi coilovers with the Bilsteins with no issues.

I'm not sure which bolts you are asking about reusing, but you don't need new bolts for anything.
thanks! The two bolts are the bottom two that are pressed in to the bottom of the strut. The bilsteins I purchased do not have them. I’m planning on swapping from the hitachis.

also, when removing the lca bolts, it looks like you don’t have to undo the tie-rods. Does that mean the only alignment that should be needed is camber?

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

thanks! The two bolts are the bottom two that are pressed in to the bottom of the strut. The bilsteins I purchased do not have them. I’m planning on swapping from the hitachis.

also, when removing the lca bolts, it looks like you don’t have to undo the tie-rods. Does that mean the only alignment that should be needed is camber?

That's odd they pressed out the lower bolts. Certainly not needed unless they used them for the new coilovers they put in.

I don't do alignments on IFS, so I can't tell you what gets adjusted. I just marked the cams before removing and put them back the same. It still needed an alignment but was fairly close. My dealer did the alignment.

OP
OP

Ross

Big Bend
First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
That's odd they pressed out the lower bolts. Certainly not needed unless they used them for the new coilovers they put in.

I don't do alignments on IFS, so I can't tell you what gets adjusted. I just marked the cams before removing and put them back the same. It still needed an alignment but was fairly close. My dealer did the alignment.
I thought it was odd too, but I should be able to reuse my bolts, correct?

Sponsored

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I thought it was odd too, but I should be able to reuse my bolts, correct?
I would guess the bolts are the same. My Bilsteins already had the bolts in there and I didn't really look at them that closely.

OP
OP

Ross

Big Bend
First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I would guess the bolts are the same. My Bilsteins already had the bolts in there and I didn't really look at them that closely.
Thank you! I’ll make sure they’re tight. Wasn’t sure since I read that they are splined and that led me to think they might not quite work. I also ready grade 8 bolts could be substituted, but don’t want to go that route yet with a new “car”

Papa Smurf

Wildtrak
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘23 Bronco WT. ‘23 Maverick. Hybrid. '23 Rav4
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Those bolts can be reused, but videos have shown them to be difficult to remove. Consider giving your dealer a call about availability of those before you start the process.

OP
OP

Ross

Big Bend
First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Those bolts can be reused, but videos have shown them to be difficult to remove. Consider giving your dealer a call about availability of those before you start the process.
Ford Bronco Big Bend SAS suspension swap 2495B76E-9712-4106-8712-45787EFB76D9

this diagram makes it look like the bolts don’t have a part number for Ford. Luckily the nuts have the same number, so the threads will be the same.
I’m planning on using an air hammer to minimize any warping of the bolts.
Sponsored