Sponsored

Bilstein 6112 Suspension w/OEM SAS Wheels installed - FINAL UPDATE!

HotLap

Outer Banks
First Name
Bradley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Raptor and 2019 Yamaha XSR900
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
So didn’t want to bury this in my original 6112 thread. Finally have my 35’s sorted. As earlier posted, my 315/70R17 BFG K02’s had balance issues. My tire shop used a whole box of weights to balance the 5 wheels and told me to return them if balance was an issue. Sure enough at 70 to 75mph they were noticeably out of balance. Returned them in exchange for Toyo Open Country AT llls that were finally installed last week.

Observations:

1) I went with 35x11.50/17s, (C Load range) / (1”narrower), and lost most of the poke, just sidewall poke now and look great, perfect size for non-SAS OBX painted flares. Not sure if I’m officially in the “Pizza Cutter” club now or not, but super happy.

2) IMO, the Toyo‘s ride best at 33lbs (no excess load) ride is on firm side but very comfortable. (Not squiggly/squirmy like my K02s were that I typically ran at 35-36lbs to firm them up.) Tread-wear looks good across the tire surface as well. Haven’t chalk tested yet, but driving on dusty road surface looks promising.

3) Pics of new Toyo’s vs the K02s to come - raining out next couple of days so gonna wait until clears up to get good pics.

Learned a lot through this process about wheels, suspension lift and tires…wish SAS wouldn’t have been a constrained item when I ordered, but did end up with the 6112s that are fantastic.

PS. Curious, are the oem SAS wheels known to be hard to balance? Hard to believe how out of balance all 5 K02s were…
Sponsored

ToddReynolds

Badlands
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Raptor, 2023 Badlands 2 Door
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I grabbed a set of take off's from the Bronco Raptor looking to use the 37" KO2's and saw how many wheel weights were on the wheels and almost freaked out worried this was going to be a mistake. When I took them in to have the tires swapped over to my new Roush wheels the weights required to balance were a fraction of what was needed. Not sure why they came that way from the factory but they were able to balance the KO2's on the new rims with no issue. View attachment 593263 View attachment 593264 View attachment 593263 View attachment 593264

Aonarch

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘23 Bronco OBX 2DR Lux 2.7, ‘24 V60 Polestar
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

So didn’t want to bury this in my original 6112 thread. Finally have my 35’s sorted. As earlier posted, my 315/70R17 BFG K02’s had balance issues. My tire shop used a whole box of weights to balance the 5 wheels and told me to return them if balance was an issue. Sure enough at 70 to 75mph they were noticeably out of balance. Returned them in exchange for Toyo Open Country AT llls that were finally installed last week.

Observations:

1) I went with 35x11.50/17s, (C Load range) / (1”narrower), and lost most of the poke, just sidewall poke now and look great, perfect size for non-SAS OBX painted flares. Not sure if I’m officially in the “Pizza Cutter” club now or not, but super happy.

2) IMO, the Toyo‘s ride best at 33lbs (no excess load) ride is on firm side but very comfortable. (Not squiggly/squirmy like my K02s were that I typically ran at 35-36lbs to firm them up.) Tread-wear looks good across the tire surface as well. Haven’t chalk tested yet, but driving on dusty road surface looks promising.

3) Pics of new Toyo’s vs the K02s to come - raining out next couple of days so gonna wait until clears up to get good pics.

Learned a lot through this process about wheels, suspension lift and tires…wish SAS wouldn’t have been a constrained item when I ordered, but did end up with the 6112s that are fantastic.

PS. Curious, are the oem SAS wheels known to be hard to balance? Hard to believe how out of balance all 5 K02s were…
Yes the SAS wheels are not the easiest to balance because of the weight of the beauty ring/ face.

I have SAS wheels on my Ranger with the same Toyos.

Ford Bronco Bilstein 6112 Suspension w/OEM SAS Wheels installed - FINAL UPDATE! 20220609_183019 (2)

OP
OP
HotLap

HotLap

Outer Banks
First Name
Bradley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I grabbed a set of take off's from the Bronco Raptor looking to use the 37" KO2's and saw how many wheel weights were on the wheels and almost freaked out worried this was going to be a mistake. When I took them in to have the tires swapped over to my new Roush wheels the weights required to balance were a fraction of what was needed. Not sure why they came that way from the factory but they were able to balance the KO2's on the new rims with no issue. View attachment 593263 View attachment 593264 View attachment 593263 View attachment 593264
My tire guy did say the K02’s were sometimes more out of balance than other brands, still was hard to believe that all 5 would use so much weight…suspected it might be partially the OEM wheels. Thanks for your feedback.

Sponsored
OP
OP
HotLap

HotLap

Outer Banks
First Name
Bradley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Yes the SAS wheels are not the easiest to balance because of the weight of the beauty ring/ face.

I have SAS wheels on my Ranger with the same Toyos.

Ford Bronco Bilstein 6112 Suspension w/OEM SAS Wheels installed - FINAL UPDATE! 20220609_183019 (2)
Those wheels/tires look good on the Ranger…assuming you didn’t have any balancing issues?

Aonarch

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘23 Bronco OBX 2DR Lux 2.7, ‘24 V60 Polestar
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Those wheels/tires look good on the Ranger…assuming you didn’t have any balancing issues?
No issues but they did take quite a bit of weight.

JuBi3

Black Diamond
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond

Observations:

So i just bought the 6112s, i will probably install them next weekend, from your posts it looks like the updated charts were pretty accurate for height adjustments, does this still hold true? How much settling did you experience? Im coming from a non Sas obx, and i want to get rid of the rake, but i want a little more lift than you did, looking for 2 inches in back so im assuming around 3 in front to account for rake. Thanks in advance

OP
OP
HotLap

HotLap

Outer Banks
First Name
Bradley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
So i just bought the 6112s, i will probably install them next weekend, from your posts it looks like the updated charts were pretty accurate for height adjustments, does this still hold true? How much settling did you experience? Im coming from a non Sas obx, and i want to get rid of the rake, but i want a little more lift than you did, looking for 2 inches in back so im assuming around 3 in front to account for rake. Thanks in advance
First, congrats on the 6112s, going to be a huge improvement over the stock Hitachi coilovers. I too was coming from anon-SAS OBX.
1) As far as I know they are still accurate; however, check with your seller just to be sure.
2) Mine settled around 1/2 inch. This is consistent with what my install shop told me, and I still had the plastic bumpers at time of install.
3) My rake is gone/rig is level, however when hauling 150lb + loads it dips a bit in the rear bordering on the “Carolina squat” look.
4) Please check out my related post on this install, lots more detail there:
https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/thre...ement-over-stock-obx-hitachi-coilovers.82271/
Sponsored