Wesley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Yeah. I'd say it's a solid concern. Depending on what you plan on doing, of course.

I went this weekend to an off road park with my stock BD and everyone else was either lifted or squatched. And I did a lot of scraping, where everyone else was like nope. Crawled under there yesterday... It's all on the bash plates. So that's nice. That is what they're for and all. But still hearing that sound while driving makes me cringe a bit.

Oh and the control arm in the rear. That guy banged up pretty good. But no critical damage.

As added context. I'm a total novice. So, some of that banging could certainly be from me taking bad lines. However, 2 other dudes in squatches were just as novice and had no issues. So they may have taken just as shitty lines, but the bigger tires and lift compensated.

Do you think going up to 33" would have made a difference where you were? That's my plan on my BD.....go up to 33" tires but no lift.
Sponsored

Busterbronco1

Black Diamond
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mustang GT Premium and 1982 F100 Short Bed.
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

ordered my BD in Feb. It will be sasquatch and Carbonized Grey. 2 door. I think the BD is the best rig for the $.

PowPow

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Tahoe
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Do you think going up to 33" would have made a difference where you were? That's my plan on my BD.....go up to 33" tires but no lift.
Well, like I said, I'm a novice. So still learning. But I would say, on some of the smaller hits the 33's would've made a difference. but the bigger dents and hits, probably not. But those bigger hits probably would've became smaller hits.

Another dude was with us had an OBX and he added 33's and a 1in lift and didn't have the same issues I had. I think he was also being a bit more cautious than me though. But those tires and lift is what an additional 2 inches? (I think?)

mdepll

Black Diamond
First Name
mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
sorento
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

What kind of trails were you on?

1970AMCAMX

Base
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150, AMC AMX, DF Goblin
Your Bronco Model
Base
Adapting a 7 pin truck to a four pin trailer is easy. The other way around is probably the same way, however you will not have any trailer brakes. The factory harness 7 pin accepts a trailer break controller so the Bronco can get some help slowing everything down. My 6x12 Cargo conversion has no breaks now because F350. it will by the end of Broncos break in period. I did not end up with Basequatch because of the trailer brake situation.
Other poster was asking whether the factory 7 pin connector also had a 4 pin like others do (my F150 has both).

If you don't get the factory trailer towing package, you can fairly easily (and cheaply) add a hitch and a 4 pin harness, and if needed an aftermarket trailer brake controller can be installed on any Bronco.

Sponsored

PowPow

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Tahoe
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
What kind of trails were you on?
I think you meant to ask me that. 😁

I was on what were considered green trails. I'm on the east coast. So mostly mud and rocks. There were some sections that got rocky and I definitely had to plan my line. Mostly used rock crawl mode. But shifted into mud and ruts a few times. Engaging rear lockers when I felt I needed them, but probably could've went without them.

If that helps at all.

I keep sharing this dude's video, because I think it's awesome. Lol. Someone on the trip with us had his buddy with him. He put this together.

No rock crawling in this one. Just water fun. You'll notice I'm the only non sig lights bronco in the video...

Hkak45

Black Diamond
First Name
K
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I can’t believe this truck isn’t great off road. That’s why they built the damn thing ! Even as a base model it should be far superior than most others off road. End of story. If it’s not then What’s the point ? Ground clearance, suspension, tires, etc all should be geared toward success off road.
Not sure why you think it isn't great off road, can you elaborate on this? Compared to other FACTORY vehicles this beats them all off road.

Hyfly

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BRONCO
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Let's see your 285/75/17 on those stock steelies!
I am leaning toward this '34"' tire size with a 1" level kit on the steelies.
Anyone running something similar?
Bonus if they are KO2

Thr33Thr33

Black Diamond
First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Let's see your 285/75/17 on those stock steelies!
I am leaning toward this '34"' tire size with a 1" level kit on the steelies.
Anyone running something similar?
Bonus if they are KO2
I have seen a BD on here with a front 1" level and 285/70/17's on the stock steelies. I think the ratio looks great.

Sponsored

mdepll

Black Diamond
First Name
mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
sorento
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Not sure why you think it isn't great off road, can you elaborate on this? Compared to other FACTORY vehicles this beats them all off road.
All I’m hearing is that stock BD isn’t very capable off road based on clearance. I know it’s not everything but it’s a restriction. That’s why I’m saying it.

mdepll

Black Diamond
First Name
mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
sorento
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I was on what were considered green trails. I'm on the east coast. So mostly mud and rocks. There were some sections that got rocky and I definitely had to plan my line. Mostly used rock crawl mode. But shifted into mud and ruts a few times. Engaging rear lockers when I felt I needed them, but probably could've went without them.

If that helps at all.

I keep sharing this dude's video, because I think it's awesome. Lol. Someone on the trip with us had his buddy with him. He put this together.

No rock crawling in this one. Just water fun. You'll notice I'm the only non sig lights bronco in the video...
Thank you. Just trying to judge the limitations with the low clearance

PowPow

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Tahoe
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Thank you. Just trying to judge the limitations with the low clearance
I will also add, all the squatchers I was with afterwards were complimenting the BD saying it certainly held it's own. And it did. I just may have scraped more than them. There's definitely dents in the bash plates. But that's what they're for.

Now if you want to do more serious rock crawling, then it may be in your best interest to squatch. But only you can answer that.

I'll go out maybe 3 times a year. BD is plenty capable for my needs and wants. If my bash plates get f'd up enough I'll just replace. They're under the car. No one can see them.

Or maybe I'll start picking better lines. 😂 I'd say that definitely accounted for some of my hits.

Side note. I saw these dudes, not in our group, in souped up Jeeps on like 37's just cruising through stuff I wouldn't even consider... But I actually thought to myself, is that even fun? It looked too easy to them.

It's kinda all relative I guess. In my stock BD I had to try and pick good lines. Where the squatched guys didn't. So maybe it'll make me a better off roader eventually?

Anyway. Just kinda rambling. Hope it helps some!

MrJoe

Black Diamond
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'73 Bronco (sold), '99 Ram, '08 Explorer, '16 CMax
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

If that helps at all.

How would the BD fair on the blue trails? I haven't been up there since I had my EB built for blacks and reds. I really hope the standard BD could handle the blues.

PowPow

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Tahoe
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
How would the BD fair on the blue trails? I haven't been up there since I had my EB built for blacks and reds. I really hope the standard BD could handle the blues.
Yeah. Tough to say. As I mentioned, I'm a total novice. So when driving by the blues, I was like oh hell no. 😂

I would say it could probably handle them with someone who knows what they're doing. Taking their time, and doesn't mind some bumps and bruises.
Sponsored