Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco 4DR Wildtrak, 2023 Maverick XLT FX4
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

We are heading for the Outer Banks in week, not giving me warm fuzzies, the brakes will be on mind, at least it will keep me vigilante if something happens, I'll have already gone through in my mind to pull the ebrake handle up.

buzpro

Outer Banks
First Name
Binky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

@flip do you have any news or info on this known issue?

Mr. Nice

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jayson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12' Boss302, 08' Audi TT, 13' CRV, 14" Ridgeline
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Should’ve went 2.7L.
Well let’s just say that there are more benefits to the 2.7 than meet’s the eye. It’s not apparent without reading and understanding Ford’s specifications.

Sponsored

flip

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Need a VIN to see if it has the code in the SSM. There's a different set of diagnostics depending on if it's, "I hit the pedal and it went to the floor" vs. "I hit the pedal and it was didn't move/or was very hard to push". Was there any brake function at all? You will have braking even without assist from the booster/electric motor.

No pedal/pedal goes to the floor can be a mechanical linkage failure, blown out master cylinder, blown line/external fluid leak OR a bypass valve in the HCU has stuck or failed. A hard pedal with some brake function is likely due to a lack of assist or possible smashed steel lines. Very rarely is the problem in the HCU.

No idea what in the booster line could've caused this but apparently it's a thing.

SSM 50314 - 2021 Bronco - 2.3L - Illuminated Brake Warning Lamp And/Or Brake System Warning Message – DTC P050F Set In The ABS Module And Firm Brake Pedal
Some 2021 Bronco vehicles equipped with the 2.3L engine may exhibit a red brake warning lamp and/or brake system warning message in the instrument panel cluster (IPC) with a diagnostic trouble code (DTC) P050F in the anti-lock brake system(ABS) module and a firm brake pedal. This may be due to contamination in a brake booster vacuum line. To correct this condition, replace the vehicle's vacuum hose (MB3Z-2420-A). Refer to Workshop Manual (WSM), Section 206-09 for installation instructions. For claiming, use casual part 2420.

blsbikes2

Big Bend
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Holy cow!! I’m glad you’re alright man that’s terrifying!! Good job thinking quick and shifting!
This is why I like cable emergency brakes. They are not just parting brakes. You can use them to slow down in an emergency like this. I hate electric parking brakes!

Scape Goat

Badlands
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Nissan Frontier SV 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So I almost died driving my 4 door Outer Banks on the freeway the other day. My wife and I were driving out to Hilton Head for a 10k. Everything was great until…Some jerk swerved in front of me to avoid being behind a semi truck chugging uphill.

This is where I almost died…

When I went to hit the brakes the pedal was impossible to press, the Bronco’s dashboard lit up saying something like brake error: check brake system. I luckily was able to slow down by using the manual shift selector on the side of the gear shift and basically standing on the brake pedal and immediately pulled over. I got out and checked the brakes after turning the car off and on. The brake pedal was now able to depress, but the brakes were super spongey. I drove to the closest Ford dealership and had them check it out. The tech came back after a few min and said it was a known issue with the Brake Vacuum and it has to come from Michigan.

This just happened so I’m getting more info as they can’t order the part until tomorrow, but I’ll update as I have more info.

I know 1st gen products have issues but this one is a really big problem. Good thing I wasn’t on the trail next to a cliff otherwise I wouldn’t be here.

Driving 70 mph on the freeway and you go to hit the brakes and there are none… scared the crap out of me. Driving a rental and now I have PTSD every time I brake.

Anyone else heard of this for the 4doors? I know the sport had a brake recall, but not 100% sure this is the same issue?
Glad you and your wife are okay!

deejay08

Badlands
First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So I almost died driving my 4 door Outer Banks on the freeway the other day. My wife and I were driving out to Hilton Head for a 10k. Everything was great until…Some jerk swerved in front of me to avoid being behind a semi truck chugging uphill.

This is where I almost died…

When I went to hit the brakes the pedal was impossible to press, the Bronco’s dashboard lit up saying something like brake error: check brake system. I luckily was able to slow down by using the manual shift selector on the side of the gear shift and basically standing on the brake pedal and immediately pulled over. I got out and checked the brakes after turning the car off and on. The brake pedal was now able to depress, but the brakes were super spongey. I drove to the closest Ford dealership and had them check it out. The tech came back after a few min and said it was a known issue with the Brake Vacuum and it has to come from Michigan.

This just happened so I’m getting more info as they can’t order the part until tomorrow, but I’ll update as I have more info.

I know 1st gen products have issues but this one is a really big problem. Good thing I wasn’t on the trail next to a cliff otherwise I wouldn’t be here.

Driving 70 mph on the freeway and you go to hit the brakes and there are none… scared the crap out of me. Driving a rental and now I have PTSD every time I brake.

Anyone else heard of this for the 4doors? I know the sport had a brake recall, but not 100% sure this is the same issue?
Can someone please tag ford in this thread.... what the actual fuck. this is a death wish on a trail.

Sponsored

Lxatoledo

Wildtrak
First Name
E
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
75 EB Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
My vehicle was taken to my Ford Dealer on 11/13 and the work was performed on 12/3. Who knows... maybe my vehicle could be why Ford posted the issue on it's internal Service site on 11/30?

Here's the specifics of what I was experiencing.

Brakes.jpg
I love the last line, "Concern no longer present at THIS TIME" Well, damn.............if and when it does present itself again, well that will be an EXHILERATING experience.

jd-ford-hd

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘16 Explorer, ‘13 F150, ‘99 F350, '74 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
OP - it sounds like you were going uphill during the time of the incident? (Assumption 1)
The 2.3 is still using a traditional vacuum-assist brake booster. (Assumption 2)

*IF* the assumptions are correct, what happened is that the incline made it such that the engine was no when you are going up a hill, a normally aspirated e booster from losing its volume of vacuum. that the brake booster always has a good source of vacuum.
If an earlier comment is correct
about 2.3 having a belt driven vacuum pump, then none of this applies.!

NC_Pinz

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco OBX w/ Squatch, 1975 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

OP, you did the right thing by gearing down and finding a safe place to pull over and see if you can get it stopped. I've driven a vehicle that had complete brake failure. Gearing down and look for a place to 'land' is where its at.

Folks that say put it in neutral....that makes no sense. Let compression braking help you while you either use your emergency / parking brake or your service brakes if you only have booster failure.
Sponsored