Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

1) based on the TSB that has been posted, it was almost certainly a loss of assist and not a brake failure. Not that it’s any better or less scary when it happens.

However, there are laws about how well brakes must perform under a loss of assist situation. 49 CFR 571.135 §7.11 requires stopping from 62mph in 551 ft.

For comparison a 0.7g stop would do the same in 185 ft. So it will definitely feel terrifying to take 3 times farther to stop.

2) it is wild to me that Ford would put a conventional vacuum system in the 2.3L and an eboost in the 2.7L. That’s so much complexity with all the suspensions and tire sizes.

3) Don’t tailgate. Not commenting on OP specifically, just in general. Besides the Bronco not having sports car braking power, it will save your paint some rock chips. Much less stressful too.
Sponsored

Little Foot

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

So I almost died driving my 4 door Outer Banks on the freeway the other day. My wife and I were driving out to Hilton Head for a 10k. Everything was great until…Some jerk swerved in front of me to avoid being behind a semi truck chugging uphill.

This is where I almost died…

When I went to hit the brakes the pedal was impossible to press, the Bronco’s dashboard lit up saying something like brake error: check brake system. I luckily was able to slow down by using the manual shift selector on the side of the gear shift and basically standing on the brake pedal and immediately pulled over. I got out and checked the brakes after turning the car off and on. The brake pedal was now able to depress, but the brakes were super spongey. I drove to the closest Ford dealership and had them check it out. The tech came back after a few min and said it was a known issue with the Brake Vacuum and it has to come from Michigan.

This just happened so I’m getting more info as they can’t order the part until tomorrow, but I’ll update as I have more info.

I know 1st gen products have issues but this one is a really big problem. Good thing I wasn’t on the trail next to a cliff otherwise I wouldn’t be here.

Driving 70 mph on the freeway and you go to hit the brakes and there are none… scared the crap out of me. Driving a rental and now I have PTSD every time I brake.

Anyone else heard of this for the 4doors? I know the sport had a brake recall, but not 100% sure this is the same issue?

—- UPDATE —-

Got more info from shop. They replaced the vacuum booster line - ‘known issue’. SSM 50314 (diagnostic P050F I believe). Assuming this will be one of the first of many.
I'm glad to hear that you two are on the right side of the dirt!!!!!!!

Jgalvan79

Badlands
First Name
Jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Kia Telluride
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Were you involved in a similar hard braking situation prior to the failure? People can make excuses for Ford all they want or call people snowflakes or whatever makes them feel better. People should have a right to know these things. I for one had no idea the braking system on the 2.3 was different than the 2.7, and apparently not in a good way.
Nope, no hard breaking, was cruising at 78 mph down the highway. Just turned on automatically.

Mr. Nice

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jayson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12' Boss302, 08' Audi TT, 13' CRV, 14" Ridgeline
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
So the 2.7 is having engine failures and the 2.3 is having brake issues

1639886468792.gif
You tell me what is worse.

Ford 2.7 EcoBoost Reliability
Is the Ford 2.7 EcoBoost engine reliable? Yes. We believe the 2.7 V6 EcoBoost receives above average marks for reliability. The engine really doesn’t suffer from many common problems, especially 2nd gen and 2018+ engines. Ford was quick to remedy the issues with the oil pan leaks. They also added port injection to the 2nd gen 2.7 EcoBoost to help prevent carbon build-up. Ignition parts isn’t something we consider a true common problem, but it does highlight the fact that twin turbo engines can be more demanding on maintenance.

How reliable each 2.7 V6 engine is sometimes simply comes down to the luck of the draw. Unfortunately, we can’t control that aspect. However, there are plenty of things 2.7 EcoBoost owners do have control over. Maintain the engine well, fix problems as they pop up, and allow the engine to warm up before pushing it hard. Otherwise, it all comes down to the basics like using high quality oil and changing it on time.

• 2019 Ford Ranger Brakes problems: pedal not engaging!

The worst thing any driver can deal with is not being able to stop the vehicle! Unfortunately, many complaints indicated that the 2019 Ford Ranger might have brakes problems where the vehicle won't engage, which could cause some safety issues to the driver and the surrounding people.
Unfortunately, the automaker already released six recalls, and it doesn't seem that there will be any recall focusing on brake system problems.
Customer complaints #1

“Pulling into a parking space and applied the brakes. The brake pedal went all the way to the floor and my foot then engaged the gas pedal also. The Ranger lunged forward and hit a store sign. I have had two instances of unintended acceleration while braking, on both occasions the engine revved and the vehicle went forward. Only have 950 miles on it. The brake pedal has a lot of travel before engaging. Ford needs to take a serious look at this.”
Customer complaints #2
“Tl* the contact owns a 2019 ford ranger. While driving various speeds and depressing the brake pedal, the vehicle failed to stop. There were no warning indicators illuminated. The local dealer and manufacturer were not contacted. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The failure mileage was 4,000.”

Last edited:

Sponsored

Clean68

First Edition
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1968 Ford Bronco, 2008 Triumph Thuxton
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Im the same boat with you. Just happen again for the second time. A slew of warning lights went off and my brakes did nothing while driving up a mountain. That was one month ago, dealer said they fixed it. Then today, a slew of warning lights and again, 0 brake pressure or response. This time I had my 4 year old in the truck with me. Nerve racking indeed. I wanted to turn my AC on because I was drenched in sweat from adrenaline, but that stopped working last week! I’m glad you’re safe!

BroncoAZ

Badlands
First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 Door Badlands manual, 2021 Tacoma TRD OR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Sounds like potential major lawsuits if someone ends up severely injured or dead. Ford better get their shit straight on this issue!

Ahauser2010

Badlands
First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi and Company Car
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
This happened with mine… waiting on the part. Shocked you were able to get yours so fast. I’ll be calling my local dealer

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
This is super scary and 1st gen is not an excuse for Ford. The brakes should be the highest priority system. This is the 2nd story I am aware of on this forum about brakes failing (the other was on a 2.7L). I haven't heard of that happening in all my years and now 2 on the Bronco.
The Ford apologist manual states that the proper response is:

"It's just a handful of Broncos... Nothing to worry about and nothing to see here... If this was a real problem, I have been told that Ford would issue a recall."

And the smug 2.3 superiority club might want to reconsider which failure they prefer, engine or brakes?

Reactions: Oly

Sponsored

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Stress
Disorder

No where does it suggest anything about rape or war.
PTSD can happen from any source of trauma or traumatic experience, however, the OP is 100% not experiencing PTSD from this experience, guaranteed.

Please feel free to challenge me on that, now accepting any and all wagers.

rugbysecondrow

Black Diamond
First Name
Pauly P
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 C-10 stepside
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

My biggest complaint (this week) is that the emergency brake is electromagnetic.. and fails into the on position, at that.

Losing your brakes is a lot less scary when you have a backup that you can modulate. As is, your options are to do what you did, or hit the e-brake and hold on for dear life. She's gonna buck!

Good thinking and glad you made it out alive.
From what I read, the ABS will kick in when the EBrake is pulled.

I think you overestimate the abilities if most drivers to a) think of using the emergency brake and b) use it the way you described.

Last edited:

Lazerus

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL. Land Rover Discovery Sport
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I think you overestimate the abilities if most drivers to a) think of using the emergency brake and b) use it the way you described.
With less than 30% of todays vehicles having a 'traditional' handbrake, you're probably right.
But if you've driven cars for decades with them, I think it's almost second nature to grab them when needed. It's right there, and you pull it every time you park.
As a teenager I lost the brakes on my pos VW Bug and after about 2 seconds of 'OH SHIT' panic, my hand went straight for the handle. And was still able to get it home using the handbrake to get me there...

Anybody who's tinkered with cars over time could probably think of a half dozen situations where a car started to roll unexpectedly and they grabbed the handbrake to stop it.

All the electronic systems in modern cars make them way better than they used to be - that is almost uncontestable - but, there is something to be said for an 'analog' backup safety system that still gives the driver adequate control over their vehicle.

Marauder

Badlands
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

PTSD can happen from any source of trauma or traumatic experience, however, the OP is 100% not experiencing PTSD from this experience, guaranteed.

Please feel free to challenge me on that, now accepting any and all wagers.
I’m not on a Bronco Forum to diagnose anonymous users with WebMD definitions. I’m even less in a Bronco Forum to argue about it.

The percentage of GAF I have for someone’s spoken profession on here is microbial. It doesn’t matter to me if someone says they’re a doctor, or a marine, or an engineer, or the spirit of Henry MF Ford possessing the lead singer of Tool’s consciousness because he wants me to keep waiting for a Bronco… all I care about when I come to this forum is whether I can better inform myself on one of the more expensive things I’ll have bought in my life thus far, and how I can optimize it for years to come.

If someone wants to convey they’ll be wearing brown pants when they’re driving a Bronco w/out doors or a roof because their 2.3L’s brakes have a known flaw… then I’m not going to chastise them about the merits of aligning the color of their pants with what they ate the prior day. As we can probably all confirm… it doesn’t always come out brown!

That said, all the user did was communicate (at least to me) that he had a traumatic experience that left him feeling uneasy about getting behind the wheel of his Bronco. Why do we care to argue the merits of whether that’s PTSD or not?

My wife drove my car when it got hit in the highway. She now gets really uneasy/nervous around 18-wheelers. No, she doesn’t bail out of the car, dig a trench and curse at Peterbilts, but I wouldn’t argue with her if she feels like she’s suffering from post traumatic stress from that accident, either.

I hope that clears up my stance. Oh yeah, to prove I have a wife, here she is sitting next to a Big Rig…

0A6F814E-5309-44E7-A49F-78FB371302A1.jpeg
Sponsored